Archive for Monday, December 20, 2010

Best of Lawrence 2011: Coffee, Burgers and Dancing

December 20, 2010

Google Map

Best of Lawrence 2011: Coffee

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Coffee in a larger map

Many swear by their favorite place for coffee. Is your institution on this map?

Google Map

Best of Lawrence 2011: Place To Dance

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Place to Dance in a larger map

There's a place to rage for every style in Lawrence. Do we have them all on here? Let us know!

Google Map

Best of Lawrence 2011: Burger

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Burger in a larger map

This might just be our most competitive category. Burger joints have been exploding all over town, making Lawrence one of the state's best for what has become something of an art.

Last week you weighed in on our first two batches of categories and candidates for Best of Lawrence 2011. Today, we've got Best Coffee, Best Place to Dance and, perhaps our most competitive category, Best Burger.

Check out the candidates and let us know what you think. Are we missing any of your favorites? Keep in mind, these lists aren't final. So if your favorite is not listed, let us know and we'll include it.

Some of the locations are spread out, so be sure to zoom out on the maps for a comprehensive view.

Best Coffee

Set'em Up Jacks

Smashburger

Spangles

Steak 'n Shake

Wayne & Larry's Sports Bar & Grill

Yacht Club Sports Bar & Grill

Comments

blue73harley 4 years ago

Runza should be added to the list for best burger.

Smashburger is okay but WAY over-priced. Burger, regular size drink and fries runs around 9 bucks. That is just crazy.

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

Runza? Gross you lost your voting privileges (Runza is the Ci Ci's Pizza of burgers, if you can legally call em burgers. )

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

yeah, if they are going to include Runza, barfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

alm77 4 years ago

Mocha-doos does have some amazing coffee!! At the right price too.

formerlyanonymous 4 years ago

The Aphrodite burger from Mad Greek is pretty good. :)

LocalYocal 4 years ago

The burger chains like McDonalds and BK etc. aren't included for a number of reasons. One, everyone knows what their burgers taste like. This type of thing is for people to eat a burger that they might not have know about b/c people rate it high. Second, this is for local places (I know, Strarbucks, Borders are in the coffee category) but places like McDonalds really don't need a "Voted Best burger in Lawrence" tag line. It however would help out a local eatery. And besides, who the heck would vote McD or BK for best burger? Obviously someone who doesn't know a good burger.

pace 4 years ago

If they include Spangles, they should include all the fast food chain joints This type of thing should not be rigged to just promote a certain type of fast food joint or only some of the locals. It is a long list if you include everyone who has a hamburger on the menu. Given that, I like the burgers at Mad Greeks.

LA_Ex 4 years ago

The Burger Stand at The Casbah is THE BEST!!!! I also vote for J&S Coffee for best coffee in town. The staff is knowledgeable and very friendly.

Dempsey's is absolute trash now that the Burger Stand moved. Soggy fries and nasty burgers. They tried to keep the same menu, but it's obvious they couldn't keep the same standards and quality.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years ago

Odd. Your recent experience at Dempsey's is different from mine.

roosmom 4 years ago

That's what I was thinking too.

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

Dempsey's is the BEST! I avoided them at first and went to The Burger Stand and was so disappointed with the quality of the food as well as the price. I watied another month and tried them again and was not much better so I tried Dempsey's and wow, my faith was restored in gourmet burgers. Dem's has it all, better food and much better prices (and 3 dollar Tank 7's on Wed/Sat)

Cataia 3 years, 9 months ago

Just a heads up... but Burger Stand has a fryer that is for veggie only. My vegan friend asked the cooks when we were there. The bacon is baked, not fried, and the buns are hand cut every morning. The duck fat fries taste like greasy poultry, so I think they are legit cause that's not a flavor easily imitated. Unfortunately, I've had bad french fry experiences with them too, but they always fix it right away.

farmgal 4 years ago

I think the Merc's Deli counter has much better coffee than those listed above. They used filtered water instead of tap water and the results are superior.

rayman 3 years, 12 months ago

I agree. They work hard to make great coffee. I think it's the best in town.

farmgal 4 years ago

oops, meant to say use instead of used

darktart 4 years ago

MOCHADO'S - FILTERED AND BUILT TO STAY THAT WAY...coffee is great too.

seth5792 4 years ago

Henry's for coffee, and Johnny's for Burgers......no one else even comes close

riverdrifter 4 years ago

I don't know if there is a prime rib worth a damn in Lawrence. Good question. A little joint in Eureka, KS called The Paddock served a great prime years ago. Wonder if they're still there.

countrygirl 4 years ago

Make the trip to Maple Hill and try Puffy's Steak and Ice House. Fantastic steaks and prime rib and you HAVE to try their onion rings.

rockchalker52 4 years ago

Been wanting to try Puffy's for years. Gonna get there this coming year for sho'. Glad to read about their rings. Hard to find a good ring sometimes.

Danielle Brunin 4 years ago

Meh, Puffy's is okay, but nothing to write home about. That said, these things can be very subjective. What's good to one person isn't necessarily good to another. :)

TopJayhawk 4 years ago

I've always had good luck at Puffy's. But it is not as good as everyone says. I know some folks that think it is terrible. They do have some rightous onion rings though.

Danielle Brunin 3 years, 12 months ago

I will definitely have to try the onion rings the next time I'm there!

Dan Alexander 4 years ago

Thanks for including Pachamama's in the burger running. The blend of beef filet and a little bacon for the fat is pretty sweet. The Blond John is pretty ridiculous at 8 bucks 2 more bucks for fries.

Dan Alexander 4 years ago

*by that I meant ridiculously delicious

LaughingWater 4 years ago

Fatso's is the best place to dance and has the best beer selection in town!!!

roosmom 4 years ago

Dempsey's best burger hands down. Locally sourced meat, locally made buns all fresh and all good. I don't feel ill after eating there either. I always did before the chef change over.

roosmom 4 years ago

Odd comment considering I don't eat there. I eat at Dempsey's. I don't have a super power of looking at a food at knowing it will make my stomach hurt. Wish I did tho!

lawrencegrl 4 years ago

Don't forget to include Wilde's Chateau 24 on South Iowa as best dance club. Great dance club!

somedude20 3 years, 12 months ago

I was going to vote my bedroom as the best place to "dance"

"Listen, I like female form in minimal dress Money to spend with a capital 'S' Get a date with the woman in red Wanna be in heaven with three in a bed..... I want a Mistress for Christmas I want a Mistress for Christmas "

whats_going_on 3 years, 12 months ago

I haven't experienced a lot of coffee places, so I guess Starbucks is probably my favorite.

The last burger I had at Dempsey's wasn't all that great...a little soggy and fatty for my taste. I personally like W&L...they are yummy.

Dancing? I've only been to the Cave once, but it was pretty fun. It smelled bad though, even when there were only a few people there at the beginning of the night, I could smell B/O or trash, or a combination. (and no, it wasn't me)

svnelson87 3 years, 12 months ago

Where is Wilde's Château 24 on this list?? Seems kind of like a must

Betty Bartholomew 3 years, 12 months ago

Scone Lady's needs added to the list for coffee (15th & Wakarusa).

rayman 3 years, 12 months ago

The Merc Deli should definitely be added for coffee. They use Broadway Coffee, have some very well trained Baristi, and provide great customer service.

kendson 3 years, 12 months ago

All of The Merc's coffee is also roasted locally and they use local milk in their espresso drinks.

craftyjhawk 3 years, 12 months ago

I think "Best Burger" should be in 3 categories: gourmet burger, bar burger, and fast food burger. It just doesn't seem fair that an amazing bar burger from somewhere like West Coast Saloon should be in the same category as a gourmet burger from Pachamamas or a fast food burger from Runza. My husband and I have had an on-going argument (for over a year now) about the best burger in town, but consensus has finally been reached for gourmet burger from Pachamamas and West Coast as best bar burger. Fast food burger doesn't really matter much.

baldwinista 3 years, 12 months ago

Z's gets my vote for best coffee. They roast the beans on site. I would trade my little brother to the Taliban for the Moon River blend.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 11 months ago

I'd have to agree. Their very interesting choices of real coffee beans freshly roasted has no peers in this town in my book, too. I don't have all that refined a tongue when it comes to different beans grown in different countries, but I've learned so much about what a variety of flavors there are out there--and that's without all of the weird sappy flavors poured all over them.

This place is the quiet workhorse of high quality, fresh, diverse beans in the area. Don't forget the east side store--that's where the roasting is done, and they have this cool daily driving through nature thing, where you read daily blurbs about what's going on in nature for that day. It's at both locations, I think.

And no, I don't get paid by Z's!

hsjlb 3 years, 11 months ago

add Scooter's for best coffee! it's delicious!

timeforachange 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow do the bad comments regarding Dempsey's surprise me! I've eaten there countless times, and not once have I been disappointed. In my opinion, the only burger that comes close is the Star Burger at Pachamama's. In total agreement with Larry Native in his assessment of the Burger Stand. I've tried their burgers on several occasions always hoping to like them, but I left every time disappointed. I've given up on the Burger Stand, but I don't miss it. When I want a tasty burger I'll head to either Dempsey's or Pach. THE best burger in town....The Picante Burger at Dempsey's!