Archive for Monday, December 20, 2010

Best of Lawrence 2011: Coffee, Burgers and Dancing

December 20, 2010

Google Map

Best of Lawrence 2011: Coffee

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Coffee in a larger map

Many swear by their favorite place for coffee. Is your institution on this map?

Google Map

Best of Lawrence 2011: Place To Dance

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Place to Dance in a larger map

There's a place to rage for every style in Lawrence. Do we have them all on here? Let us know!

Google Map

Best of Lawrence 2011: Burger

View Best of Lawrence 2011: Burger in a larger map

This might just be our most competitive category. Burger joints have been exploding all over town, making Lawrence one of the state's best for what has become something of an art.

Last week you weighed in on our first two batches of categories and candidates for Best of Lawrence 2011. Today, we've got Best Coffee, Best Place to Dance and, perhaps our most competitive category, Best Burger.

Check out the candidates and let us know what you think. Are we missing any of your favorites? Keep in mind, these lists aren't final. So if your favorite is not listed, let us know and we'll include it.

Some of the locations are spread out, so be sure to zoom out on the maps for a comprehensive view.

Best Coffee

Set'em Up Jacks

Smashburger

Spangles

Steak 'n Shake

Wayne & Larry's Sports Bar & Grill

Yacht Club Sports Bar & Grill

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 1 month ago

Best place to dance is Rudy's That slick tile floor in front of the order bar is the shìtz... The music is usually good too.

timeforachange 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow do the bad comments regarding Dempsey's surprise me! I've eaten there countless times, and not once have I been disappointed. In my opinion, the only burger that comes close is the Star Burger at Pachamama's. In total agreement with Larry Native in his assessment of the Burger Stand. I've tried their burgers on several occasions always hoping to like them, but I left every time disappointed. I've given up on the Burger Stand, but I don't miss it. When I want a tasty burger I'll head to either Dempsey's or Pach. THE best burger in town....The Picante Burger at Dempsey's!

hsjlb 3 years, 3 months ago

add Scooter's for best coffee! it's delicious!

baldwinista 3 years, 3 months ago

Z's gets my vote for best coffee. They roast the beans on site. I would trade my little brother to the Taliban for the Moon River blend.

craftyjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I think "Best Burger" should be in 3 categories: gourmet burger, bar burger, and fast food burger. It just doesn't seem fair that an amazing bar burger from somewhere like West Coast Saloon should be in the same category as a gourmet burger from Pachamamas or a fast food burger from Runza. My husband and I have had an on-going argument (for over a year now) about the best burger in town, but consensus has finally been reached for gourmet burger from Pachamamas and West Coast as best bar burger. Fast food burger doesn't really matter much.

kendson 3 years, 4 months ago

All of The Merc's coffee is also roasted locally and they use local milk in their espresso drinks.

rayman 3 years, 4 months ago

The Merc Deli should definitely be added for coffee. They use Broadway Coffee, have some very well trained Baristi, and provide great customer service.

Betty Bartholomew 3 years, 4 months ago

Scone Lady's needs added to the list for coffee (15th & Wakarusa).

svnelson87 3 years, 4 months ago

Where is Wilde's Château 24 on this list?? Seems kind of like a must

whats_going_on 3 years, 4 months ago

I haven't experienced a lot of coffee places, so I guess Starbucks is probably my favorite.

The last burger I had at Dempsey's wasn't all that great...a little soggy and fatty for my taste. I personally like W&L...they are yummy.

Dancing? I've only been to the Cave once, but it was pretty fun. It smelled bad though, even when there were only a few people there at the beginning of the night, I could smell B/O or trash, or a combination. (and no, it wasn't me)

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

I was going to vote my bedroom as the best place to "dance"

"Listen, I like female form in minimal dress Money to spend with a capital 'S' Get a date with the woman in red Wanna be in heaven with three in a bed..... I want a Mistress for Christmas I want a Mistress for Christmas "

lawrencegrl 3 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget to include Wilde's Chateau 24 on South Iowa as best dance club. Great dance club!

roosmom 3 years, 4 months ago

Dempsey's best burger hands down. Locally sourced meat, locally made buns all fresh and all good. I don't feel ill after eating there either. I always did before the chef change over.

LaughingWater 3 years, 4 months ago

Fatso's is the best place to dance and has the best beer selection in town!!!

Dan Alexander 3 years, 4 months ago

*by that I meant ridiculously delicious

Dan Alexander 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for including Pachamama's in the burger running. The blend of beef filet and a little bacon for the fat is pretty sweet. The Blond John is pretty ridiculous at 8 bucks 2 more bucks for fries.

seth5792 3 years, 4 months ago

Henry's for coffee, and Johnny's for Burgers......no one else even comes close

darktart 3 years, 4 months ago

MOCHADO'S - FILTERED AND BUILT TO STAY THAT WAY...coffee is great too.

farmgal 3 years, 4 months ago

oops, meant to say use instead of used

farmgal 3 years, 4 months ago

I think the Merc's Deli counter has much better coffee than those listed above. They used filtered water instead of tap water and the results are superior.

LA_Ex 3 years, 4 months ago

The Burger Stand at The Casbah is THE BEST!!!! I also vote for J&S Coffee for best coffee in town. The staff is knowledgeable and very friendly.

Dempsey's is absolute trash now that the Burger Stand moved. Soggy fries and nasty burgers. They tried to keep the same menu, but it's obvious they couldn't keep the same standards and quality.

LocalYocal 3 years, 4 months ago

The burger chains like McDonalds and BK etc. aren't included for a number of reasons. One, everyone knows what their burgers taste like. This type of thing is for people to eat a burger that they might not have know about b/c people rate it high. Second, this is for local places (I know, Strarbucks, Borders are in the coffee category) but places like McDonalds really don't need a "Voted Best burger in Lawrence" tag line. It however would help out a local eatery. And besides, who the heck would vote McD or BK for best burger? Obviously someone who doesn't know a good burger.

formerlyanonymous 3 years, 4 months ago

The Aphrodite burger from Mad Greek is pretty good. :)

Andini 3 years, 4 months ago

And no MOCHA-DOO's for coffee either??

Andini 3 years, 4 months ago

If Spangles is included..why aren't McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's etc. etc....

blue73harley 3 years, 4 months ago

Runza should be added to the list for best burger.

Smashburger is okay but WAY over-priced. Burger, regular size drink and fries runs around 9 bucks. That is just crazy.