Archive for Friday, December 17, 2010

Tiny kitten rescued from Lawrence storm drain available for adoption at Lawrence Humane Society

December 17, 2010

An 8-week old domestic short-hair kitten was found by city workers this week in a storm drain near Redbud Lane. The kitten has been named Stormie D.

The rescue took an hour, but it was worth it.

“I’m a pretty sentimental guy,” said Nick Flint from the city’s street department.

Flint and another worker spent part of their Wednesday saving a 1.4-pound kitten from a storm drain near 26th and Redbud Lane.

Animal control workers called the city department for some help rescuing the kitten. Flint popped a sewer lid, and had to coax the feline to safety.

“It was so close,” Flint said. “It was just a little baby.”

Along the way, the kitten earned the nickname Stormy D, for obvious reasons.

After his adventure, Stormy D is safely waiting to be adopted at the Lawrence Humane Society.

“I was trying to get my wife to get it,” said Flint, adding that he’s hoping someone will take Stormy D soon.

Such rescues aren’t that unusual, said Kayse Aschenbrenner, director of animal welfare at the Humane Society.

“We get a lot of kittens from storm drains,” said Aschenbrenner, who is fostering another cat, Barracuda, who was rescued in a similar fashion.

Checking over Stormy D, Aschenbrenner said the kitten appears to be about 8 weeks old and healthy — if just a little scared in his new surroundings.

Comments

wmathews 4 years, 7 months ago

Gah rats! I fixed the headline. Thanks.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

justsomewench 4 years, 7 months ago

I rather liked it the way it was. You have to admit it drew a crowd. I'd let the typos slide until they start foaming at the mouth. Heck, place informal bets with co-workers on how long it will take until a grammatically neurotic mob has formed. It doesn't take long. :P

filmguru 4 years, 7 months ago

Not to be too shallow, but I'll bet a photo of the cute little kitten would go a long way to helping find a home for it. Who could resist?

wmathews 4 years, 7 months ago

It's on the way. Should be posted soon.

1029 4 years, 7 months ago

A more accurate title for this article would have been "Tiny Kitten Kidnapped from its Home in Storm Drain".

Storm drains are actually very safe places for cats and other small animals to live because they offer protection from predatory birds such as falcons.

justsomewench 4 years, 7 months ago

But maybe not so much against predatory high school boys with a book of matches.

overthemoon 4 years, 7 months ago

I have seen racoons the size of small dogs coming in and out of storm drains. I don't know if they go after cats, but I imagine there's quite a community of critters down in those pipes.

justsomewench 4 years, 7 months ago

Someone should write a children's book about animals in the sewer. The Gutter Gang, a madcap tale (pun intended) of the underground existence of Stormy D, a kitten who's bane of existence are falcons and city workers that like cats, her mischievous friend, Ron "there wasn't really a place for me in the Baker Wetlands anyhow, so I say, build the damned thing" Raccoon and their attempt to form a small coalition of critters and their fight against the mysterious beast, The Kaw, at the Battle of The Last Drainpipe.

Then again I could be weird.

verity 4 years, 7 months ago

Fastastic idea!

Not sure I'm crazy about the name though. How about "The Sewer Seven"?

You write the story and I'll do the photos/illustrations/design.

justsomewench 4 years, 7 months ago

Deal.

It'll be a commode-ity of errors! (I am not a fan of puns, but kids love 'em!)

Culvert Critters? Sub-urban Urchins? How about The Tale of (the) Trench Wayfarers and the Battle of the Grand Gulch?

verity 4 years, 7 months ago

"Stormy D and the Sub-Urban Urchins"

I love it.

I edit too---send me a draft. I wonder if whoever adopts Stormy D will let me take pictures of her. She's adorably photogenic. Of course, finding a raccoon who is willing to pose might be a problem.

I see possums coming out of the drain also. Polly Possum?

justsomewench 4 years, 7 months ago

That's refreshing. I do enough freelance editing that I like to avoid it as much as possible, especially my own writing.

Polly "the Perp" Possum. We're going urban after all, right?

verity 4 years, 7 months ago

Ringo the Rat and a catfish (Callie or Cassandra perhaps?) makes five, which is a good number for a coalition of critters. Then Dora the Dinghy which they travel in---except for the catfish, or has Dora the Dinghy been done? It sounds so familiar.

verity 4 years, 7 months ago

Just googled Ringo the Rat and it seems that one has been done more than once.

justsomewench 4 years, 7 months ago

A male rat is called bucks, so maybe we can throw an educational tidbit in there and call him Buck. That's very Kansas-y, yes?

Catfish Charlie was the most toxic of the fishing baits my father used, so maybe we should go with Chuck. Chuck and Buck.

We can fit the gals in somewhere. Maybe they'll be they'll come along during the coalition's adventure down to the battlefield. They'll probably be hanging out near the emu oil stand at the Farmer's Market, eyeballing the reasonably priced bouquets and feeding on dropped teething biscuits.

Just a thought...

verity 4 years, 7 months ago

Recruiting at the Farmer's Market---I like that.

How about a stealth book---ostensively for children but with a twist for adults (or all ages). Educational tidbits are good. Wonder if it's possible to get a map from the city of the sewers.

Stormy D gets swept into the sewer during a rip-roaring Kansas thunderstorm, where she is surprised to discover other critters living or hiding. She meets Polly and Ron, who are guiding her to the surface when Ron pulls some sort of prank, leaving Stormy alone to face the Animal Control Officer. Then Ron and Polly must save her from the shelter before she is sold into slavery or worse---nobody chooses her.

OK, way past my bedtime.

justsomewench 4 years, 7 months ago

I have ideas to toss in other local icons...Liberty Hall, Waxman, Old West Lawrence, the eagles on the Kaw...the Hat Lady!...

And, yes, by all means, it should have an undercurrent of familiarity that make the Lawrence parents snicker. Well, those that have been around long enough to know the pop culture of it.

By the way, there used to be storm drains that would go through Old West Lawrence that my brothers knew all about. I remember taking my kids and nieces on a flashlight tour of one, too, for as far as we could go before we got scared. We were imagining we were solving a mystery and looking for clues. Great spooky fun.

I'm sure there's something around by way of oral history, if nothing else, that could be found about that system.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

Before anyone runs down to the H.S. to pick up Stormy, or any other kitty, please make sure your house is kitty proof, that you have a litter box, litter, and everything else already on hand. Also, if you're a tenant, make sure your lease allows pets and that you can afford the additional pet fee or moving costs if you get evicted.

Do not make your new pet a "throw away" pet.

impska 4 years, 7 months ago

And also know that having a kitten in the house is like having a toddler in the house. If a kitten can climb it, the kitten shall; if it fits in the kitten's mouth, there it will go. Also, while a tiny kitten might figure out how to get up onto your bed to sleep at night, it may not have the independent spirit to get back down and go to the kitty litter when it needs to. Also, much like little kids, kittens should sometimes be escorted to the bathroom, because when they get busy they might forget to go until it's too late.

There's a myth that cats are independent pets, good for people who don't have time - while this may be true for some cats, it is not at all true for kittens.

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry, but having a kitten is NOTHING like having a toddler. believe me, I have both and the kitty is about a billion times easier- and not in any way neglected.

TikiLee 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh get over yourself. I don't think impska meant that having a kitten is EXACTLY like having a toddler. She makes good points about what it takes to raise a kitten, don't get all insulted.

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 7 months ago

Not insulted...just saying....sorry....I didn't mean to offend you.

Sarah St. John 4 years, 7 months ago

Kernal, if I remember correctly from our last adoption (about ten years ago -- wow!) the Human(e) Society is really good at checking on all that -- they'll even call your landlord to make sure it's jake with him/her.

Wow, I can't believe we've had our cat that long....

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

My last cat lived to be twenty-one years old due to lots of TLC.

Sarah St. John 4 years, 7 months ago

P.S. Not that yours were not grand suggestions. They are. If everyone would heed them, we'd have fewer sad throw-away-pet stories.

Gene Wallace 4 years, 7 months ago

Remember that White cat who used to hang around KFC on 23rd a few years ago? Sometimes she could be seen sitting outside the drive-thru window waiting patiently for her "order". She ended up at the Humane Society. She wasn't completely feral, probably abandoned or lost. After almost a year at the Human Society, Lady Ghost Whispurr adopted me. She is living comfortably with my wife, Grannysage, Wileykat and me at the "Pendragon" abode. Her story is at http://www.squidoo.com/ghost-cat and Wileykat's story is at http://www.squidoo.com/whitecats