Archive for Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vehicle burglary ring busted in Leavenworth County

Lawrence juvenile, three others arrested

December 16, 2010

— A call from an alert resident early Tuesday morning led to the arrest of four people suspected of burglarizing 70 vehicles in Leavenworth and Jefferson counties.

Tonganoxie Police Chief Jeff Brandau said Christian G. Lowe, 18, Oskaloosa; Dustin J. Courter, 19, Oskaloosa; and a juvenile from Lawrence were arrested on charges of burglary and theft after a Tonganoxie resident reported early Tuesday morning his vehicle had just been burglarized. The juvenile also was cited for possession of cocaine.

A fourth man, Dylan D. Coleman, 19, McLouth, was arrested Tuesday evening and charged with possession of stolen property and possession of methamphetamine.

Lowe and Courter are charged in Leavenworth County District Court with vehicle burglary and conspiracy to commit nonresidential burglary.

Soon after receiving the resident’s call, Tonganoxie police spotted a vehicle matching the description of one reportedly used in the burglaries, Brandau said. The officers kept the vehicle under surveillance as the suspects returned to it and drove off. Tonganoxie police and Leavenworth County Sheriff’s deputies then stopped the vehicle.

Brandau said his department and the Leavenworth and Jefferson county sheriff’s offices have been investigating the burglaries since the thefts started about six weeks ago.

Following the arrests, search warrants were executed in Lawrence, McLouth and Oskaloosa, where stolen electronics, firearms and other property were recovered, Brandau said.

“They’ve been real active,” he said. “They don’t even know how many they did. I’m sure there were a lot that were never reported. We found stuff with peoples’ names on it, and they didn’t even report it stolen.”

Comments

PebblesFlintstone 4 years, 5 months ago

Ooh! I wonder if this means I'll be getting my car stereo back?

Steve Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

Pull your head out, the situation is relative.. age dosen't mater, the concept is the same.

greenworld 4 years, 5 months ago

wonder if this puts an end to the 31 break-ins that my plumber from Winchester told me about over the last several months. He said Winchester and Nortonville have been hit hard. We are talking about teenagers, I wonder since they are over 16 or 18 if they will face adult punishment for the charges or if it will be a slap on the wrist and community service.

fatheadff 4 years, 5 months ago

This goes a little beyond car stereos and electronics. It also involves stolen firearms and that is a felony. And yes I know first hand because they recovered my property.

kdog93 4 years, 5 months ago

Actually they weren't "meth heads". So you should check your resources. I guess I actually shouldnt expect losers who have way too much time on their hands to learn the facts. There were two boys wrongly influenced by a drug addicted juvenile. Nice try though.

greenworld 4 years, 5 months ago

Well lets see here we are talking about JEff Co and they didnt kill anybody so im sure it will be a slap on the wrist. Long story short, I adopted a dog from the Jeff Co shelter that had been shot in the head and had a full recovery, missed everything. When I adopted her I ask if any charges had been filed and they looked at me and laughed. They said the Da in Jeff Co looks at animal cruelty and stuff like that like "we are in jeff co and animals are a dime a dozen" which really pissed me off. And they wonder why people/kids get away with so much stuff. I wouldnt hold to it that they will put the hammer down on them just yet. The drug charge would carry more weight than the rest.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 5 months ago

Sounds a lot like Douglas County. People receive tougher punishments for drugs then murder, especially in hit and run cases. But I can tell you that in Jeff Co. even if it was vehicular manslaughter, the DA won't do much if anything, at least that's how it was 4 years ago.

easyliving 4 years, 5 months ago

Fathead- glad to hear you will be getting some of your stuff back. (hopefully all of it) I have a few friends that have been hit in the last couple of months in these areas- firearms and tools primarlily. Hope there items are returned and these "boys" get their day in court.

They are probably lucky the police caught them first. People are tired of this crap, shoot first ask questions later.

dinoman 4 years, 5 months ago

just an fyi last year a theft ring was busted it involved truckloads of stolen stuff and it hasnt been procuted or returned so go police their more worried about tickets than anything else

whatupdown 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm shure they are out on a low bond doing more of what they know best....even last night, they will keep doing this for years untill they get lead poisoning or something. We should be able to shoot to protect our property too. This would be a different story, one we are happy to be hearing more often. I guess you need to go out armed and yell freeze!...."and they instead turned toward me with a gun in hand (I thought) so I shot in self-defence, I'm real sorry for their familys loss".

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 5 months ago

are they going to be facing federal charges ?...... Guess not they were white.......

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 5 months ago

I wonder how many cars actually got broken into vs how many had their doors unlocked. Not that unlocked doors make it okay to steal stuff, but I'd still like to know.

doc1 4 years, 5 months ago

Again, the majority of crime is linked to drugs.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Bring 'em to Topeka. We know how to deal with car thieves here. The same as we used to deal with horse thieves....And if you think about it, it is the samething. Whataputdown. Last week Lawrence folks were up in arms about shooting car thieves. Sounds like a different tune this week.

gram77 4 years, 5 months ago

Our truck was broken into and alot of tools and stereo equipment stolen. The truck was LOCKED as if that mattered. They just broke the door and latch which just cost us more money! I wish they would let us victims deal with them!!! At 18 years old you are an adult, so punishment should be set as an adult!!! Two year olds know right from wrong so I say hang 'em all!!!

Giselle 4 years, 4 months ago

Awe i went to school with one of em :/ damnnn