Archive for Thursday, December 16, 2010

Baldwin City, Ottawa and Wellsville school districts cancel Thursday classes

December 16, 2010, 12:00 a.m. Updated December 15, 2010, 10:18 p.m.

School district 348 in Baldwin City has canceled Thursday classes following severe winter weather that wreaked havoc in Douglas County Wednesday evening.

School district 290 in Ottawa has canceled classes.

School disctrict 289 in Wellsville has canceled classes for Thursday.

Check back for additional school closings if announced.

Comments

riverdrifter 4 years ago

So let it be done. South Douglas county is a skating rink.

Brian Hall 4 years ago

That dusting of snow we got on Saturday is also hanging around, I suggest we cancel school for the next couple of days because obviously it is going to be a much-to-harrowing experience for the poor children of Lawrence if they have to go to school tomorrow.

Staci Dark Simpson 4 years ago

kseagle-come to baldwin and try to go the speed limit. Hope your undies are still clean when ur done.

kseagle 4 years ago

it is too early to be calling off school.....it is all the wimpy JOCO people that have moved in down there that has caused school to be called off tomorrow....wait til morning and then make a decision....

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Lawrence roads get more traffic & salt than BC so they clear sooner. Also we we have many rural roads. Not the same situation. Next.

Erin Graham 4 years ago

What riverdrifter said! ^^ I'd imagine in some of those towns tomorrow, a few of the main streets will be fine but side streets and rural areas of the county, where a good chunk of those students come in from and the buses have to travel, will be a different story.

As of this past evening, it was taking people upwards of 5 hours to get from Lawrence to Baldwin on 59.

measles 4 years ago

I cannot believe Lawrence hasn't cancelled or at least declared a late start. Even if the main roads have been treated, what about the side roads? And the sidewalks? Have we forgotten that Lawrence doesn't have bus service to most schools and many kids walk to school everyday? The sun's not up yet, so the layer of ice that coated every single surface last night is still on the ground. In addition to my car spinning out (just a block off of Harvard & Iowa) last night and witnessing several small collisions that left cars undrivable, I slipped on the ice trying to cross a parking lot that was just a solid sheet of ice and hurt myself pretty badly. I'm fine, of course, but I just hate the thought of all the schoolkids across Lawrence who will be walking to school in less than an hour on sidewalks coated with ice!!

Kelly Johnson 4 years ago

I was pretty surprised to find that the roads in Lawrence weren't bad this morning. I was able to drive close to the speed limit without any problem, and didn't slip or skid even once. 12 hours ago it was a much different story! How are the roads in the Baldwin City area this morning?

Kash_Encarri 4 years ago

Based on the reaction of my son and many of his friends, they are happy that they are having school today. They didn't want school to be cancelled with finals hanging over their heads. They just want to get it over.