Archive for Monday, December 13, 2010

Three college students from Missouri charged in Saturday apartment burglary in Lawrence

December 13, 2010, 3:22 p.m. Updated December 13, 2010, 5:28 p.m.

Douglas County prosecutors on Monday accused three Bolivar, Mo., college students of hatching a plan last weekend to try to rob residents of a Lawrence apartment.

“It appears the defendants purchased ski masks and armed themselves with weapons,” District Attorney Charles Branson said.

Branson said the three defendants, Nicholas Allen and Scott McDowell, both 21, and Jeremy Noland, 19, bought a pellet gun and a baseball bat as part of their plan. Then, Branson said, they drove to Grove Apartments, 4301 W. 24th Place, where they hoped to rob one of Allen’s former neighbors.

Prosecutors charged the men with conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery, burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary, theft and criminal damage to property.

According to Lawrence police, an employee at the apartment complex heard glass break at 5:30 p.m. Saturday. The employee saw three men dressed in black climb into an apartment through a window.

The employee told police the men crawled back out the window carrying bags, a laptop computer and possibly a gun.

Witnesses told police the men left in a black Scion. Residents of the apartment that was burglarized arrived home later and told police someone who previously lived in the apartment above them had a similar vehicle.

A Kansas Highway Patrol trooper later saw a vehicle matching that description. Troopers pulled the vehicle over in Overbrook, about 28 miles southwest of Lawrence, and arrested three men. Troopers say they found a pellet gun inside the car.

During a short hearing Monday, James George, Douglas County’s pro tem judge, set the men’s bonds at $20,000 each, cash or surety. In court, the men or their attorneys all indicated they were students at Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar, which is north of Springfield, Mo.

Investigators believe Allen had lived at the apartment complex previously.

The men are scheduled to appear at 2 p.m. Wednesday in front of Douglas County District Judge Michael Malone.

Comments

doc1 4 years ago

Topeka / Missouri about the same.

1029 4 years ago

Meanwhile, our do-nothing city commission doesn't respond to voicemails or emails asking why we haven't built the wall yet, which is especially surprising considering how many Lawrencians are out of work and how many jobs would be created.

Mary Ellen Hall 4 years ago

Students at Southwest Baptist University.....good Christian boys, I see. I'm thinking they missed a Sunday school lesson or two.

kernal 4 years ago

I guess you could say three member of the Christian Right have found their true calling, one of SBU's goals for their students.

compmd 4 years ago

I would give a Darwinian Honorable Mention had these pellet-gun armed morons actually ended up face to face with a real-gun armed resident.

Danimal 4 years ago

I'm guessing they won't be students at Southwest Baptist U. much longer.

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

*Thou shalt not steal

*Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's laptop

*thou shalt not break into thy neighbor's crib

*suffer the little children to come unto me, for of such is the kingdom of God.

emaw 4 years ago

I'm waiting to hear how Topeka ties into all this!

jfcm77 4 years ago

It's actually Manhattan this time.

newmedia 4 years ago

The burning question now is will they transfer to the U of Misery?

FarneyMac 4 years ago

Well, sir, we'll do without molasses. Anything from Missouri has a taint about it....never heard of nice things from Missouri coming West, and treading lightly is not my way. We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it.

cozborn 4 years ago

"JOSEY WALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

estespark 4 years ago

When the DA is named Charles Branson - you're pretty much "s" out of luck.

Tony Kisner 4 years ago

Will these guys miss finals? Could hurt their GPA's.

scottsmother 4 years ago

Hello to all who have made comments and who may read this in the future. I'm Scott McDowell's mother. I can honestly say that I am shocked and horrified by my son's arrest. He was never in any trouble before he left here, Alabama, to go to university. He's been away from home two years and has been back only on a few occasions. It saddens me that we lost touch to the point that he didn't feel he could come to with any problems that may have lead to this alleged terrible decision for which he's been arrested. I must say speaking as a mother, I don't believe he is capable of such a thing; as a citizen I will abide by our justice system's code of "innocent until proven guilty". About Scott: He graduated from Bob Jones High School in Madison, AL (One of USA Today's top 5 schools in the nation at one time) with an advanced diploma. He was a start football player and track sprinter, which is what lead to his scholarship grant at SWBU. He has been a delight and a joy his whole life and possesses the heart of both a champion and a king. I am eager and prayerful that he will be saved from this terrible mess and that all who were hurt, including all families involved, will be healed and restored and my son will come home, where he can continue to aspire to the heights to which he was born to soar. Be well.

Bob Forer 4 years ago

Good right-wing conservative Christian Young Men!! ROFLMAO. They gonna find out real soon that Jesus doesn't hear prayers from Lansing prison.

independant1 4 years ago

Wishing you the best during your trials.

tigers 4 years ago

Oh for Pete's sake! Wake up! You play, you pay. Is anyone held accountable for their mistakes anymore?

carpartsdaddy 4 years ago

There is a very large hole missing in this story. There are a lot of apartments and laptops between Bolivar and Lawrence. There was a reason they visited this apartment at 5:30pm. The apartment that was below where Nick Allen lived while attending KU. My guess is they owed him drug money and he never thought they would call the police because of the nature of the situation. I am also assuming that he has preyed on these other students with the promise of a reward. All college kids have laptops, there is way more to this saga and my heart goes out to Ms. Mcdowell for not having all the answers as to why this happened to her child. Yes, these young men did wrong and "why" does not change that. However, they deserve for us to reserve judgment until the truth comes out.

detective 4 years ago

carpartsdaddy seems to know somthing about this case. These boys did not go there to get a laptop. The guy that lived in that apartment has one of Nick's TVs and would not give it back to him. Maybe the TV is not there or maybe they realized that a large TV doesn't fit through a small apartment window very good. Not very smart criminals. Can't get the TV out and don't fill up your car with gas before you go to steal back your property... plus be stupid enough to take some old laptop??? Nick's parents have always bought him whatever he wants and he has several large flatscreen TVs. He didn't even need the TV. Sometimes people are stupid and do stupid things without thinking about what happens when they get caught. Maybe when Nick grows up he will realize you go to Small Claims Court to get you property back... not through a broken window.

tigers 4 years ago

Seems to me a first try at the wild side doesn't include ski masks, pellet guns, baseball bats, breaking and entering. Have any of these boys ever been held accountable for past transgressions? Hmm, makes you wonder how many scrapes they have narrowly missed with the help of parents in denial!

lightbulb1 4 years ago

There must be a lot of holes missing to this story, especially concerning the background of some of the boys. It's apparent that this is not the first offense for all of the boys. There is no reason that boys of this age should be let off with just a slap on the wrist. If there were consequences early on for these boys, then they would not escalate to such crimes.

scottsmother 3 years, 12 months ago

No parents in denial on this end. His father and I have chosen to leave Scott in jail. We could've bailed him out a while back, but chose to see how the justice system plays itself out and hold him accountable if he's guilty. But as I stated, we all have the right as citizens of innocense until guilt is proven. As far as Scott goes, I can assure you that we have never received any such call to bail him out jail, as for the other two I don't know. Some of you people and your premature judgments and assumptions...I swear! Even if the boys are guilty, I bet some of the people commenting are guilty of things in the eyes One much bigger than those of earthly law and order; your mess just hasn't ended up on the news...YET! Now, go get a life!

SBUstudent 3 years, 11 months ago

I just want to say I was a close friend with Scott while at SBU and will stand up for the fact that he is a great kid. He did make a big mistake here and that is not excused in any way. When he first introduced some of us to Nick though we all told him to not hang around with that kid. We had known Nick for only 5 minute before he began bragging about how many schools he had been kicked out of for felonies that his rich parents bailed him out of. Scott was trying really hard to stay on the right track so that he could succeed at SBU and on the football team and just fell to the influence of a bad seed. I wish Scott the best of luck in the future of this case and whats to follow for him.