Archive for Monday, December 13, 2010

1 of 4 Lawrence school board incumbents to seek re-election in 2011

December 13, 2010

Three members of the Lawrence school board say they have no plans to run for re-election, while a fourth intends to seek another four-year term.

Marlene Merrill, a retired educator, plans to file as a candidate early next month, ahead of the noon Jan. 25 deadline. She’s been on the board since 2007.

“It’s important to have an educator’s voice on the board,” Merrill said.

Three of her board colleagues — Mary Loveland, Rich Minder and Scott Morgan — say they don’t intend to seek office again, although both Minder and Morgan are leaving open the possibility of running.

“I’m not completely sure I’m not going to do it, but I find it extremely unlikely,” Morgan said. “It’s the end of my second term, spread over 12 years. I think everybody needs to take their turn doing this. I think I’ve wrung about as much fun as I can out of it.”

Minder wants to end his board service July 1, after finishing his second term, but adds a caveat: “People always change their mind.”

Loveland promises she won’t be back for more after 20 years on the board.

“I’m a very compulsive person, that I’ve never done enough,” Loveland said. “This is one of those rare times where I feel like I’ve done what I could do.”

Comments

Clevercowgirl 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad that Ms. Merril wants to run again. She is a person of integrity.

Clevercowgirl 4 years, 3 months ago

I stand by what I said. Why would Waky be closed? The facility is in excellent condition, and has room for expansion. When the inevitable redistricting occurs, the ones that are functionally obsolete, or have evironmental issues (mold), will have to be closed.

spiderd 4 years, 3 months ago

It was indeed extremely important that all of the community empathized with each other and did not pit school vs. school. It is disappointing Clevercowgirl to see you throwing another school under the bus. As it was last year, that is probably a poor strategy for your cause.

Clevercowgirl 4 years, 3 months ago

Didn't realize that I was throwing anyone under the bus. I did not even bring up closing schools initially. I only stated that if schools were closed, as I do believe it is the current agenda, that closing Waky is illogical. As for buses, Waky is continually being thrown under the bus, and for no good reason. The real agenda (I hope that I'm wrong) is to stir things up, close schools, and build a new school. I would be a hypocrite if I said that I didn't have a special interest in keeping our school open. Having said that, I am not rallying to have another school closed.

Cogito_Ergo_Es 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Clevercowgirl. I too believe their real agenda is to close schools, Wakarusa being at least one of them. It might also be Cordley or Pinckney. All we know is it won't be New York! They'll do it, and then walk away without having to answer for it which I think is cowardly. Merrill is apparently the only one with the guts to remain behind and take the heat for her vote whatever it may be. SONS does serve the purpose of keeping ALL our schools open, be they community, neighborhood, or some other definition, which is good! What bothers me the most is that Admin will hide behind the board, the board will enact their not-so-hidden agenda, and we're all treated like we're too ignorant to figure it out. Community Forum? Really? Just a waste of my time. 'We've done all the research. We wouldn't lie to you.' You know and I know they're going to do whatever they want anyway, but they make a silly show of giving us our outlet. 'Oh sure, we're listening to you! Ooops, were you saying something?'

KSManimal 4 years, 3 months ago

Translation: "The governor Kochback mess is about to hit the fan, and local school boards are downwind - get us outta here!"

Thats_messed_up 4 years, 3 months ago

Probably not as fun being on the school board when the "fun" money for new stadiums dries up.