Archive for Monday, December 13, 2010

One of the first female firefighters in Lawrence — and in Kansas — set to retire

Longtime fire Captain Lexie Engleman is retiring on her 60th birthday Saturday after serving almost 30 years with the department. Engleman joined the Lawrence fire department in 1981 and was one of the first female firefighters in the department’s history.

December 13, 2010

She didn’t tell her parents that she was applying to be one of the first female firefighters in Lawrence history.

Lexie Engleman didn’t even tell them when she got the job.

But as they ate breakfast at their Great Bend home one morning in 1981, they heard the news on the radio about their daughter.

It was statewide news in 1981 because so few women nationally worked as firefighters.

“(My parents) were disturbed,” said Engleman, now a captain with 29 years of experience as a Lawrence firefighter. “I hadn’t told them I was going through the process. I didn’t think I’d be hired.”

Her parents, both teachers, were nervous because it is a dangerous profession, and Engleman said initially she thought she would work as a firefighter for only a short time until she found a teaching job.

She had earned a master’s degree in education and taught physical education and coached in Abilene and Linwood before applying to be a firefighter.

But then, one June day in 1981, she spent her first day on duty.

“I went into my first fire and loved it,” Engleman said, nearly 30 years later. “That was the beginning of the career.”

Next week will be her last on duty as Engleman will hang up her firefighter’s hat next Saturday when she turns 60.

Pioneer

She and Denise Clements were the first two female firefighters in the Lawrence department’s history.

Then-Chief Jim McSwain hired them after they passed several physical and other tests. Clements didn’t stay with the department long.

But Engleman worked her way up the ranks. She will retire as a captain and has been responsible for a shift and crew of six firefighters at Station No. 2, 2128 Harper St. She has also frequently filled in as an acting division chief responsible for 36 firefighters or more in the county.

Mark Bradford, Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical’s current chief, said Engleman’s career was significant.

“At that point in time there was probably this thought of, ‘Can women really do the job?’” he said. “What Lexie has demonstrated along with other female firefighters that we have is that they can, in fact, do the job, and they can do it very well.”

Bradford said Engleman proved herself as an outstanding firefighter in her long career through both her physical and interpersonal skills.

“She was always positive in everything that she did,” he said.

After she retires, the department will have four female firefighters, including Division Chief Eve Tolefree and Lt. Kathy Elkins.

‘Meant to do’

Engleman said it took some adjustment when she first started as a firefighter.

The media made a big deal out of her hiring.

At first some of the male firefighters seemed apprehensive. But that didn’t last long.

“They figured it out, and we both figured out that it was not a big deal,” she said. “They were great, just so helpful. They taught me a lot of things I didn’t learn in training.”

She also remembers young, female KU students in the early days often giving her the thumbs-up as she drove by in the open-cab fire truck.

Her tenure included responding to many fires and incidents, including one of the department’s saddest days. Engleman was on the scene in 1986 when firefighter Mark Blair was killed at 3028 Rimrock Drive.

At first crews couldn’t find Blair’s body and when they finally did, she went with the chaplain and McSwain to notify Blair’s wife.

“I remember thinking, ‘I hope I never, ever have to do this again,’” she said.

A more recent event also sticks with Engleman. Her crew was the first one inside MagnaGro International last April when two employees at the manufacturing plant died in an industrial accident.

“That incident will always stay with me just because it was everything you have ever trained for and then it’s real,” she said.

In retirement, Engleman has plenty to keep her busy, including the 50 acres she lives on between Lawrence and Lecompton, and visits to her son, Sam, in the Kansas City area.

But she will miss her job.

“This occupation is something different every day. And it’s helping people on their worst day. They said you either love it or you hate it the minute you do it,” she said. “They are right. I knew it. This is what I was meant to do.”

Comments

sourpuss 4 years ago

Lexie started on the force when my dad was on it and she showed me that women can be anything they wanted to be - an important lesson for an elementary school girl. We never met, but she still had a positive impact on my life. My father always spoke about her with great respect.

1southernjayhawk 4 years ago

Well done, Lexie. You will be missed by the citizens of Lawrence and I wish you the best of luck in your retirement.

cowboy 4 years ago

Lexie took care of my little boy after getting bumped by a car some 25 years ago. He was balling and she just calmed him right down.

lori 4 years ago

Thank you for your service to our community!

Shardwurm 4 years ago

Congrats.

As an aside I wish we could get to the point where mentioning someone's sex or race doesn't matter any more. Why is there a KU 'Women's Hall of Fame'? Shouldn't it just be 'Hall of Fame'? Personally I would be insulted if I were women.

In any case...well done on a fine career - no matter what your sex is.

naturalist 4 years ago

Congrats, Lexie! I remember when you started there. Funny no mention of your body building era, haha. Have a wonderful time enjoying your land.

JustAsking 4 years ago

Outstanding job, Lexie!! Enjoy what I hope will be a very long and fun retirement. You've earned it!!

EJ Mulligan 4 years ago

What a great story and a cool woman. You go, girl!

petunia2000 4 years ago

Congratulations Lexie! We still remember the day you were hired. Where did that 30 years go?? Take care, Mike & Caylen Vickers, Boston, MA.

Rae Smith Evans 4 years ago

Congrats on your retirement Lexie! Have a blast in the coming years. You've earned it!!!

jayhawkgirlbear 4 years ago

I have pictures of Lexie and my daughters when she was helping Santa come off the roof a few years ago. They were more excited to meet a "Firewoman" then meeting Santa. She is an amazing rolemodel for girls of all ages.

arooney04 4 years ago

Congrats! We all thank you for your service and dedication to lawrence and douglas county. Take some time for yourself now and enjoy your retirement! thanks again!

Bill Lee 4 years ago

Lexie, I remember when you joined the force. Thanks for your service, and I hope your retirement doesn't mean that you'll be leaving Lawrence. We need more people like you around.

doug4400 4 years ago

Lexie, Congratulations from an old PE classmate. Good news travels fast. We're living at the Lake of the Ozarks, and just happened to pull up this article. You haven't changed a bit. Doug Underwood

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years ago

Congrats from one of Sam's old buddies! Best of luck!

Paula Kissinger 4 years ago

I remember it well...back in the day when "we" still had to prove ourselves as true equals in the fire and police service and so many other professions. I was working for KUPD when Lexi started with the LFD and, although she probably doesn't remember me after all these years, I remember her and her sense of dedication to the job and her professionalism. We were sensitive about our jobs then and promptly corrected people who called us "firewomen" and "policeladies" with the terms firefighter and police officer. We earned those positions on the departments and the ranks that followed. I know I am getting old when I see firefighters and police officers retiring that I served with, myself being off work on disability over 25 years. Best of luck to you in whatever your future brings, Lexi. You can be proud of your accomplishments and a job very well done.

Christine Anderson 4 years ago

I am Woman, Hear Me Roar! Congratulations.

asbury 4 years ago

Well done Lexie!! Congratulations!

Pugmom3 4 years ago

Lexie I wish you all the luck in the world and hope your retirement is very good. You will be missed. You are quite a lady The snake Lady. lol Now you know who this is.

rikkiends 4 years ago

Best wishes to Lexie for an exciting and fulfilling retirement! You rock!!!

elbejay 4 years ago