Archive for Thursday, December 9, 2010

United Way of Douglas County is behind $100,000 in fundraising

December 9, 2010

A down economy has put a damper on the United Way of Douglas County’s fundraising efforts this year.

With the organization’s major fundraising drive wrapping up, the chapter is behind $100,000 from where it historically is at this point in the campaign, President and CEO Erika Dvorske said.

In particular, United Way’s fundraising program that reached out to local businesses suffered this fall simply because employers had fewer employees than in previous years.

“Our campaign is contingent on lots of people doing little bits,” Dvorske said. “And that presents a challenge.”

The overall campaign has seen some successes as it works to raise $1.775 million.

Fifty-five percent of donors classified as Leadership givers, or those donating more than $750 a year, have increased their contributions. And the campaign has added more than 650 new donors, beating the organization’s goal of gathering 500 first-time contributors.

“So many wonderful, generous people have already stepped up, and we want to celebrate that, but we need more,” Dvorske said.

The United Way leaders are hoping that end-of-year contributions will help them reach their goal. During the holiday season, the organization is asking people to make a gift to the United Way in honor or memory of someone they care about.

“We are reaching out to people during the next couple of weeks, communicating with folks we haven’t heard from in hopes that we can engage them and invite them to contribute something,” Dvorske said.

If the campaign comes up short, Dvorske said the board has discussed cutting back on the community impact grants it gives out each year. Current grants won’t be affected, but new ones would be curtailed.

Money raised during the United Way’s campaign goes to 24 community agencies serving 60,000 residents, the United Way’s Roger Hill Volunteer Center and the United Way Center for Human Services. In March, the United Way allocates the campaign funds to the local agencies.

Comments

Edward Coan 4 years ago

Also wages are stagnant or cut so people can't afford to give. And we are about to start a new decade of work we have never seen before. Full-time positions will be the novelty. Part-time, contract, telecommute, freelance, seasonal, etc. will all be the norm. Capitalism is going to an all time low treating humans like commodities.

aa469285 4 years ago

Since when do workers not want to telecommute? This is a punishment? The employers are not the ones driving these choices. Employees have been asking, no demanding things like these (flex-time as well) for years. If you've ever run a business, you'd know that. And there is no evidence that "full-time" will become a thing of the past. Talk about fear-mongering.

aa469285 4 years ago

booyalab 4 years ago

It doesn't exactly have the squeakiest reputation.

jmadison 4 years ago

Douglas County Commission made any contribution tougher with their 10% property tax increase.

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years ago

Wow, what a fantastically ignorant statement there. I'm "liberal" and happily donate quite generously to myriad causes with (GASP!) my own money. I have many "liberal" friends who do the same, so please do not speak for us.

gatekeeper 4 years ago

You sir are ignorant. I bleeding heart and give more than most. What did you give?

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years ago

is it hard to be better than everybody else?

Icy_Flame48 4 years ago

Couldn't agree with you more. As for those who do donate and are liberals, than they are the exception.

ilovelucy 4 years ago

So how much do you give in a year? I'm one of those liberals who give at least $2000.00 per year in addition to giving to UW. I also volunteer for three charities. I don't donate someone else's money. I donate my own. So how much do you give in a year?

Icy_Flame48 4 years ago

Good for you maybe you should become a republican!

notanota 4 years ago

I thought Libertarians/Conservatives were the ones who thought all the problems of the world could be solved by charitable donation instead of government spending. This system works really well during an economic downturn doesn't it?

justforfun 4 years ago

AHHHH But we got plenty of bucks for the stupid a$$ library expantion. Sorry United Way scrape by like the rest of us. Can't afford you like I used to. Not with all the costs around me goin up!

50YearResident 4 years ago

The rest of the shortfall is going to the Henderson Folly. People need to decide if they want to support The United Fund or non resident trancients. Remember the economy is in the dump right now. Make a choice.

Newell_Post 4 years ago

Cut out the middle man. Donate directly to charities of your choice.

pace 4 years ago

I donate to charities, I sure don't use United Way to funnel and direct my donations. They would use my charity as their corporate window dressing. They shape decisions on who gets the money and the leaders are part of the "new" anti working family conservatives. I can see the road coming ,their need to channel donations to the "job producers" in this time of economic assault on working families. They influence the charities to conform to conservative ideologies by wagging the dollars they funnel as leverage. I am sure that many of the people involved are honest caring people but as an umbrella, it is gilded. One of the arguments against health care reform is that charities should fill the cracks. The cracks are made by the cracked health care industry. I do not want to donate to self perpetuating politically motivated fronts. I try to be intelligent and donate to problem solving programs, to education, to nutritional needs, against violence and to people I know who have a moment of crisis.

labmonkey 4 years ago

Do not donate to the United Way. Figure out what charities you want to donate to and donate directly.

George Lippencott 4 years ago

OK, we are down $100K. From what? Last year's contributions? A new higher target set by the UW for this year? Very carefully worded to avoid a comparison - why?

sourpuss 4 years ago

Just give directly to charities you wish to support and skip charitable middle men like The United Way.

Ken Miller 4 years ago

Google the name William Aramony. That's all the history you need to know about the United Way.

Give DIRECTLY to the charity of your choice.