Archive for Thursday, December 9, 2010

One dog dies, another rescued from pond accident on East 1100 Road southwest of Lawrence

Lawrence firefighters Alex Thomas, left, and James Barkley pull a dog out of the water at a pond southwest of Lawrence, on Thursday.

December 9, 2010

Pond at 959 E. 1100 Road

One dog died and another was rescued Thursday afternoon after falling through ice in a pond southwest of Lawrence.

Lawrence firefighter Todd Dwyer’s two golden retrievers, Cash and Cooper, were out playing on the pond when they broke through the ice. Dwyer said his father saw the dogs and called Douglas County emergency dispatchers about 1:30 p.m.

Emergency workers worked to rescue the dogs, which were both about a year old. Cash lived through the accident, but Cooper didn’t.

Comments

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

It is a tough one. Now I will go home a let all four of my crew get in my lap for some lovin...maybe one a time...that big yellow bastard weighs in about 90 pounds..

I get all goosey jittery with the dogs when the ice is on.....makes me nervous.

naturalist 3 years, 4 months ago

My dogs are my family. I am so very sorry for the loss of your dog but thankful you got the assistance to save one. My heart goes out to you. With deep sympathy.

cwonnell 3 years, 4 months ago

this is so touching. Praise God that our EMT's and Lawrence care enough to save a pet. My lab, Bailey is my baby and I would want her helped if needed. I am so sorry for the loss of Cooper. Being a dog lover, I know how hard that is to lose a dear friend. What a courageous thing for the EMT's to do. God Bless you all.

edjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

The expression on the dog's face says it all. So glad they could save at least one of them.

meggers 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm so sorry Cooper didn't make it. Warm thoughts to the family.

I agree, great picture. Cash looks like a real sweetie.

CMM 3 years, 4 months ago

What a great way to start my Friday. Makes me think of my lab. I'm sorry for your loss!

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 4 months ago

Everyone give your dogs an extra hug today.

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

Talk about capturing a moment with the camera! Just makes you want to hug him tight.

riverdrifter 3 years, 4 months ago

Great (if heart-wrenching) image by Richard Gwin. A friend and I saw his fine lab get swept under the ice on the Kansas river years ago while duck hunting. I'll never forget it, ever. Probably good but dangerous practice for the guys.

meburr 3 years, 4 months ago

Todd would be one of the first on a truck to come to your animal's rescue. The department responds to many animal situations. Most people's animals are thought of as family.

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 4 months ago

This story makes my heart ache for the poor dog and his owners. Glad they rescued cash though.

yankeevet 3 years, 4 months ago

Sorry for the loss of his pet.............

bigmike 3 years, 4 months ago

I am sorry for the loss of the pet as well, but I am left to wonder if my dog needed rescued would the fire dept help even if I am not a fireman? Are there charges for these services?

angelmom 3 years, 4 months ago

how sad :( I didn't think the ice was even thick enough for them to get on in the first place. Sorry for your loss.