Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, December 7, 2010

KU officials determine malfunctioning exhaust fan caused odor that prompted Malott Hall evacuation

December 7, 2010

Advertisement

KU's Malott Hall evacuated after chemical odor sends one to hospital

Malott Hall on the Kansas University campus was evacuated Monday after what may have been a chemical spill. Two people reported headaches resulting from the incident and one person was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment. Enlarge video

Kansas University officials have identified a malfunctioning motor in an exhaust fan as the source of an odor that caused an evacuation of Malott Hall on Monday, said Jill Jess, a university spokeswoman.

The hall was evacuated Monday about 4:30 p.m., and reopened at 6:45 p.m. after the smell had dissipated and officials had ensured the air quality was safe.

Two university employees complained of headaches during the incident — one was treated on the scene and the second was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

LogicMan 4 years ago

Were those fans replaced recently?

yourworstnightmare 4 years ago

One employee went to the hospital because of this? Who is ku hiring in facilities? Three year old invalids?

fu7il3 4 years ago

Of course, we don't know what they were exhausting. There are chemicals that give off fumes that are toxic, which is why they are worked with under hoods that vent to exhaust fans. If the fumes don't vent, they could very easily send someone to the hospital.

Pitt_Mackeson 4 years ago

actually that was the smell of me taking a mcRib dump on the third floor. It drifted upwards and caused the stir. Sorry. I had also been rolling around in feces.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.