Archive for Tuesday, December 7, 2010

City now reviewing applications for Lawrence police chief as deadline passes; interim chief seeks top job

December 7, 2010

The application deadline passed Monday for the city’s national search for a new police chief.

City Manager David Corliss declined comment Tuesday morning on many aspects of the search, including how many applications the city has received.

“I respect the application process. That deadline has passed, and now we’re going to start working with the people who are interested in Lawrence and see if we’re interested in them,” Corliss said.

The city is seeking to replace Chief Ron Olin, who retired in September after holding the top law enforcement post since 1987. Olin is now the director of security and internal controls for Kansas Athletics Inc.

Tarik Khatib, an 18-year police department veteran, is serving as the interim chief. Khatib confirmed Tuesday morning that he applied for the permanent position.

Corliss said the city would make more announcements about the search process in coming weeks. He said city officials would begin looking at the applicants and scheduling interviews.

In the fall Corliss, who has authority to appoint a police chief, said he would seek input from members of the community and the police department on development of a profile for the position. And he said city commissioners would be involved in meeting the top candidates.

According to the job advertisement, qualifications include nine years of “increasingly responsible experience in municipal police work,” including at least four years in administration and management. The department has an operating budget of $14.2 million, and the city’s 2011 budget authorizes 142 officers and about 41 civilian staff members.

The salary is listed as above $105,000 a year, depending upon qualifications and experience.

Both Corliss and city commissioners have said in addition to interest from national applicants they expected internal candidates to apply and to possibly do well in the process.

Khatib, who trained earlier this year at the FBI National Academy, had said when he was named interim chief that he was interested in the permanent post.

“The only thing I can add at this point is that I look forward to participating in the process,” he said.

Comments

tpsman15 3 years, 9 months ago

If they go outside the department and don't give it to Khatib they are shooting themselves in the foot. He has done a good job as interim, and has earned the position.

SWJayhawk13 3 years, 9 months ago

Wish I had known about this the last time I had the misfortune of interacting with him (in '07). He was a terrible officer to deal with then, why is he even still on the force after an incident like that? That gives me a LOT of confidence in the LPD, knowing that they can get drunk and run a pedestrian over & not lose their job. What a joke.

Jim Phillips 3 years, 9 months ago

Yawn, been listening to this for nearly 20 years now. Still awaiting the proof.

Jim Phillips 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, you got the names and the situations correct.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Bill Gillespie or Virgil Tibbs, although Andy Taylor would be ok except they didn't have too much crime in Mayberry much less murders. Now Sparta did seem to have an awful lot of murders.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

A vulcan would be a more logical choice, and I do believe they cannot lie.

Jim Phillips 3 years, 9 months ago

THe Holy Gospel according to The Apostles smitty and Yellowhouse. I believe I'll remain agnostic in this situation.

lily 3 years, 9 months ago

Guardian, anyone can make baseless, unfounded allegations. No one has offered any proof or "evidence" of these evidence room allegations (that I can find)

Jim Phillips 3 years, 9 months ago

lily, You and I are on the same page. Maybe my sarcasm wasn't as clear as I thought it was. Apologies if it was conusing.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Jessica Fletcher as Lawrence's first female police chief. Do Roe or Autie have any cuzins that graduated junior high or now I guess it's middle school. So that would make it 8th grade instead of 9th grade.

estespark 3 years, 9 months ago

What about Inspector Todd from Beverly Hills Cop?

lily 3 years, 9 months ago

has this missing evidence thing ever been proven, or is it just an allegation from the yellowhouse thing?

OonlyBonly 3 years, 9 months ago

I certainly hope the City recognizes it's time to bring in someone from outside the city for the new chief. Time for new blood and direction in the department!

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

Hollis Brown for Police Chief!!

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

Had to look that one up and I assume you mean the musician and not the South Dakota farmer that killed his wife and 5 kids then committed suicide.

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

was talking about the Bob Dylan (now uses the name Hollis Brown as he has been kicked off with 3 or so other names) fanatic that posts on the LJW blogs. He is a funny dude

somebodynew 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, obviously you do not check the Douglas County jail log very often. And you do not know what it takes to arrest/process/book a drunk driver.

I see a whole lot of arrests for DUI/OUI on a regular basis. Now are there a whole lot more out there?? You bet. But something tells me you are probably one of the ones who rail against them setting "checkpoints" as an invasion of privacy and other complaints.