Archive for Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chairman of Library Board expected to announce candidacy for Lawrence City Commission

December 7, 2010

A second candidate for Lawrence City Commission is expected to join the race.

Mike Machell, the chairman of the city’s Library Board, has called a press conference for 8:30 a.m. today at City Hall to announce his candidacy.

Machell is the director of human resources for Prescription Solutions, a pharmacy benefit management company in Overland Park. He previously ran for Lawrence school board in 2007.

Machell has been active the last several months as the Library Board has put together plans for an $18 million expansion of the library, which was approved by voters in November.

In addition to supporting the library and other infrastructure improvements, Machell said his campaign will focus on attracting primary jobs to Lawrence that can bring new money into the community.

In his job with Prescription Solutions, Machell oversees human resource issues for about 2,000 employees in Kansas and California.

Machell will become the second candidate to file for the position.

Hugh Carter, a financial adviser and a former planning commissioner, filed in November.

The three seats held by Commissioners Rob Chestnut, Mike Dever and Lance Johnson are up for election. None of the three has announced yet whether he plans to seek re-election.

Candidates have until noon on Jan. 25 to file. The primary election, if needed, will be March 1. The general election will be April 5.

Comments

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

Honestly, knowing nothing about him, someone who works in KC has to be a negative as far as running for City Commission. Fact he is on the library board for sure I will not vote for him.

notanota 4 years ago

Working in KC means they can figure out that KC salary > Lawrence salary, and maybe they'll try to do something about it.

Gedanken 4 years ago

Yup. He was part of library debacle. No way in hell will I vote for him.

BruceWayne 4 years ago

called a press conference for 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at City Hall to announce his candidacy.

you're kidding right? a press conference? really? get over yourself...

TheBigW 4 years ago

Not that I have a cat in the fight, but all you folks expressing your dislike of current seat holders and then this guy too, just what is it you want in a new person to fill the void? It seems to me that the avg. townie person with out deep pockets and loads of backers (read well know town folks) wouldn't stand a chance. So from what walk of life and "side of tracks" are you wanting to see in someone to run for a seat?

scopi_guy 4 years ago

We need to get someone to print up about 50,000 "Vote NO for Machell" signs and plaster them in everyone's yards. Maybe some "informative literature" about him could be printed and slipped into everyone's utility bills too.

Kookamooka 4 years ago

This guy is awesome. He has a really practical take on things. I heard him at a school board meeting advocating for improved vocational offerings at the High School level. He would be a good commissioner. He really cares.

Kookamooka 4 years ago

Relax, Wilbur. Your "oneeye" is popping out of your head. Read the article. He's in Human Resource Management and he can't find people with the qualifications he needs. Not every kid who graduates from USD497 is interested in going the 4 year college route. (GASP! Quel Horror!!) There are smart hardworking kids in the system who get left out because they don't have the financial resources or inclination to go to KU. My kid is going to a vo-tech school next year to learn how to repair wind turbines. He'll make three times what I make as an educator when he's fully employed. I can't argue with him. That seems practical to me. No pies in the skies. No "law school."

irvan moore 4 years ago

we need districting for city commission seats and then each part of town would be represented,

nobody1793 4 years ago

Lew Perkins for City Commission!

pinecreek 4 years ago

Anyone want to bet on the 3 incumbents running for re-election? I have a fiver that says that all 3 duck out and don't run...

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

gl0ck0wn3r (anonymous) says…

Has Merrill applied?

---why apply. he's like the liberal/neohippie George Soros of Lawrence, he's their thinker and their controller.

I've been calling for commission seat districts for lawrence, an alderman type system, on here for years.

we should have five or seven, districs by neighborhood.

somedude20 4 years ago

I would like to see Gumby (Eddie Murphy version) run for office. "I am Gumby dammit and I am running for Lawrence City Commission"

Jacks_Smirking_Revenge 4 years ago

This guy will be just fine if elected. He already knows how to raise taxes and get people to vote for ill-timed projects.

I'd run if I had the experience or the cash. My platform would be growing business to increase the tax base, (the same 2 people building the same thing over and over again does not count as increased business btw), streamline the internal operations across the board (not by outsourcing), and try to figure out out how to start spending within our means (not going to make a short bus joke since I got punted on that before.)

Vote for a townie that cares?