Archive for Thursday, December 2, 2010

Statehouse Live: PETA offers state budget help with anti-fishing sign

December 2, 2010, 11:12 a.m. Updated December 2, 2010, 4:12 p.m.

— The animal rights group PETA is offering to help Kansas with its state budget deficit, but there’s a catch.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said it would pay the state to erect an anti-fishing sign at Miami State Fishing Lake in Fontana. PETA would pay rent for as long as the sign remained.

The sign shows a dog with a fish hook through its lip and reads, “If You Wouldn’t Do This to a Dog, Why Do It to a Fish?”

The offer was made in an e-mail Thursday to Gov. Mark Parkinson.

PETA said it had heard the state of Kansas was considering selling off state assets to help fill a ballooning $500 million revenue gap. Some legislators have discussed selling off state assets, such as office buildings and state-owned land.

“Our proposal would help Kansas stave off the sale of valuable assets and help the fish in Miami State Fishing Lake live in peace,” said PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman.

“If people impaled dogs or cats in the mouth and yanked them into an environment in which the animals couldn’t breathe, they would be charged with cruelty to animals,” Reiman said.

PETA noted that scientific research shows that fish are smart animals that feel pain and that fishing causes them enormous suffering.

Parkinson declined the offer.

His spokeswoman Amy Jordan Wooden said, “Governor Parkinson appreciates the long-standing history and tradition of fishing in Kansas.

“Further, funding the important services in the state budget will require more substantial solutions and he hopes that the incoming governor and legislature will work together to craft a responsible budget.”

Comments

rockchalker52 4 years, 8 months ago

I caught a small-mouth terrier at my pond the other day. Beggin' Strips, best bait ever!

parrothead8 4 years, 8 months ago

Um...hello? PETA says they'll pay money so that the state will put up a sign. There's nothing in the agreement about making fishing illegal. Take the money. Put up the sign. Go fishing. Duh.

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the dinner idea, PETA...gonna grill me some fish tonight!

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the dinner idea, PETA...gonna grill me some fish tonight!

GovJunkie 4 years, 8 months ago

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals...

Bryan Wilcox 4 years, 8 months ago

How many Peta members does it take to change a lightbulb?.... None, Peta can't change anything.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 8 months ago

People from PETA: Get a life!

If fishing is so wrong, why are they do dadburned delicious?

Same goes for hunting.

(gonna go out tonight and set my trotlines...)

planetwax 4 years, 8 months ago

All the comments show the disconnect humans have between themselves and nature. Until we stop eating sentient creatures, we fail to appreciate life.

bender 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah... mountain lions, hawks, pike are all disconnected from nature as well.

monkey_c 4 years, 8 months ago

This type of action shows how disconnected PETA members are from nature. I have survival skills, I could live one with nature and I would need strength and protien to do it. Sure I could grow beans...don't know where my energy would come from when I wait for them to grow. Or worse yet, what am I left to eat after the pesky deer stroll through and eat the beans before they are ready for my consumption? If God did not intend for us to eat meat, why'd he make it so yummy? PETA is a joke. I love animals, I love and respect nature and work to protect natural resources...fighting against meat consumption is down right unnatural, ludicris dribble. Those who self righteously speak against eating meat should see that they look like fools. It is a fine personal choice, those who choose to live that way should realize they are able to do so because they are priveledged, living in a nation rich with a variety of food and many, many modern conveniences, which in many cases are far from "natural"

BlackVelvet 4 years, 7 months ago

I very much appreciate all things I eat. That's why I say thanks before digging in!!!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, do let us condemn more of our fellow humans to death by starvation by banning the consumption of fish. That sounds like such jolly fun.

BorderRuffian 4 years, 8 months ago

P. Please E. Eat T. The A. Animals

It simply CAN'T be wrong to eat something so delicious. Besides, it looks so pretty wearing their gorgeous fur. Mmmmmmm - coyote!

Not to mention how warm and soft bunny fur makes my glovies...

G2G now to find my lucky rabbit's foot

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

are these the kind of fish that Rhonda Miller was talking about in her blog today. The tuna that has cheese growing on it?

monkey_c 4 years, 8 months ago

Cheese is cruel too...according to PETA

GovJunkie 4 years, 8 months ago

The fish have been insulted for the last time! See this link... A White Tip Shark bit the arm and leg off of some grandma and snacked on 3 others, too! I am sure PETA applauds the shark's efforts! Too bad SHARK-PETA doesn't practice what PEOPLE-PETA preaches! I say keep eating them until we see a positive change from the shark world and they stop eating people... or seals... or anything else in the water... they can simply eat sand!

ECM 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Starlight. People are quick to think PETA is only interested in protection animals when in fact it is all about the money and attention. PETA is nothing but a shell organization that hurts far more than it helps.

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

I like fishing, I love eating fish. I think the Governor a bit high handed deciding on the merits of a sign based on the message. I rather he sold sign space than to sell needed building just to rent them back. I could lean my fishing rod against the sign, We could rent sign space to profishing backlash groups. Could be fun. We could have a photography kiosk so fishers could take shots of their catch standing next to the sign. I wish more politicians thought more and posed less.

notanota 4 years, 7 months ago

Exactly! Sell the sign space. Let PETA's money pay the bill to stock that lake with tasty tasty fish.

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

The governor should of thought it through. Maybe with enough signs we could attract more out of state fishers. I see ads, Don't let PETA tell you what to do. Fish Kansas. I do believe we would need to use the sign income to stock and improve habitat. The sign space could be directional signs to fishing spots. We might want to allow Peta signage on pheasants, deer, etc. We might get some nice and deserved coverage on all the fishing and hunting opportunities in Kansas. Best duck hunting country, follow the Peta "don't hunt" signs to our lodge.

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

I know I should not be so tickled at this, but the state has missed such an opportunity. By the reaction, they could sell sign space for cute anitPETA signs. I miss the Burma shave signs.

andrew55 4 years, 7 months ago

Note to PETA: something has to die to support life. Be it an animal or a legume.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 7 months ago

Associated Prig News:

• Perfectly Elitist & Trite Ashholes unite to create gaping blackish-brown hole in nature.

Today, hundreds of elitist swine from the far corners of the Younannied States of Insanity gathered in twelve gated communities, and naked indignation, to protest life as we know it.

Not only was their fundamentalist creed naked, but also their bodies.

Luckily, a swarm of Biting Midges, Noseeums, Sand Flies, and Punkies were present to disrupt the event. Millions died in the ass'n'face slapping carnage. Oh, the HAMunity!

Alfred_W 4 years, 7 months ago

I always tell vegetarians "Just because you don't hear them scream, doesn't mean they don't"

Steve Miller 4 years, 7 months ago

I saw PETA member leaving long john silvers just this week. Figure that one out....

Steve Miller 4 years, 7 months ago

Opps gotta go, gotta go to the fred and take a PETA ...

DillonBarnes 4 years, 7 months ago

Fine PETA, I won't fish. I'll just make sure my fish come from a fish farm, happy now!?

kscountryboy 4 years, 7 months ago

...............................?????.................I don't even know what say about this. Why is this even in the news. I have come to live with the fact that for the most part that the LJWorld is a hippie, liberal rag........................but really?,................ there's nothing else going on in the great State of Kansas that you guys could be covering!?!? Happy Hunting and Fishing!

thebigspoon 4 years, 7 months ago

Let them put the sign up. I am sure someone would need to pattern their shotgun ????

gchawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Think of the number of trees that suffered needlessly in order to write such a worthless article.

ltljim64 4 years, 7 months ago

I am 100% in agreement with this and think it needs to happen sooner than later!

(I am soooo stealing me a sign!!!!)

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

I can't help but picture a big John Lennon kind of event with everyone swaying back and forth, singing, "All we are saying / Is give fish a chance."

Silly, silly, silly.

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

I guess some questions are just too hot to handle, even by the pros.

Jeremiah Jefferson 4 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe that the state of Kansas would even consider this proposal. One of the greatest things Kansas has going for it, is its ample hunting, fishing and outdoor activities. Far as I am concerned PETA can go pound sand. The great sportsmen and women of this state contribute far more money to the enrichment of wildlife preservation and conservation than PETA could ever hope to. I wonder how hard the dog fought before a PETA member got the hook in its mouth for that picture too? Now thats what I would call ethical treatment of animals.