Archive for Thursday, December 2, 2010

KU updates design of diplomas

The new KU diploma design (left) will be given to graduates after nearly 30 years of using the old design (right).

December 2, 2010

Now there’s no mistaking Kansas University for “The University of Ransas” on the thousands of diplomas issued each year.

Nearly 30 years since the last redesign, KU’s diplomas have gotten an upgrade. The university’s Trajan font has been incorporated, and overall the diplomas have a more readable, professional look, said Todd Cohen, director of university relations, whose office executed the redesign.

The font displaying the university’s name — which included a “K” that could be mistaken for an “R” — has been updated to a more readable style.

Most degrees also got a little smaller — from 9 by 11 inches to the standard 8.5-by-11-inch piece of paper, so graduates could save money and avoid having to buy a specially sized frame, Cohen said.

Doctoral degrees and law degrees remained the same size at 14 by 17 inches.

And a plethora of signatures on diplomas, including the entire Kansas Board of Regents, a dean, the provost and the chancellor, has been pared down to just two — the chancellor and the regents chairman.

The university’s embossed seal pops a little more, having added some blue to the existing gold. And gone are the extra foil stickers indicating a graduate earned “distinction” or “highest distinction” honors. Those will now be printed directly on the diploma itself.

“Hopefully, the design reflects that the university is paying attention to details,” Cohen said.

Comments

palmettostar 4 years ago

Of course, they go and change the design after I graduate (May '10). Can I order a redesigned dipolma?!

Jack Martin 4 years ago

Yes you can order a replacement diploma with the new design. Details are at the bottom of this news release: http://www.news.ku.edu/2010/december/2/diploma.shtml

Hektor 4 years ago

Hey! Law degrees ARE doctoral degrees!

sourpuss 4 years ago

They aren't Ph.Ds, they are professional doctorates (J.D.), not requiring a dissertation, hence the distinction.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years ago

Yeah, we plugged the wrong photo into our database. Got that fixed. Sorry about that.

sad_lawrencian 4 years ago

The letter K in Kansas still looks like an R. I don't see how the new design is appreciably better than the old! And to Hektor: SOME law degrees are not doctoral degrees (for example, the LL.B.). It would depend on which degrees KU's law school grants.

ack 4 years ago

It looks like a K to me! I'll bet if you see the design in person you might change your mind..... The photos are a terrible presentation of a nice design......

sad_lawrencian 4 years ago

...and good job posting the photo of the mock-up diplomas. Now it'll be easier for a nefarious individual to forge their own KU degree! (Oh, and why does the graduate's name have to be in the same weird Old English font as "The University of Kansas"?)

DillonBarnes 4 years ago

Yes, because LJWorld is the only place for someone to see a copy of a diploma. Also, I hear dark crappy photos are the best for making forgeries. I know one thing, they won't be coming to your house to steal a diploma.

sad_lawrencian 4 years ago

Funny you would say that! I have four college/graduate degrees, and none of them are from KU! (Happily so!) So nobody will be coming around here looking for a KU diploma! Go Wichita State Shockers & UConn Huskies!!

Hektor 4 years ago

Four degrees and none from KU? I'd be sad too.

Shankapotomus 4 years ago

I am disappointed to see the state seal omitted from the design. As a native Kansan, undergraduate degree holder, and future doctoral degree holder from the University of Kansas I feel a great sense of indebtedness to the taxpayer of the state of Kansas who helps to subsidize my education. I think the state deserves a place on my diploma. However, I love my university and will display both of my degrees proudly.

onceinawhile 4 years ago

LJ, the cutline with this photo is wrong. Also, when you click on the photo, it goes to a dead link.

ack 4 years ago

Who was the designer? It's about time for an update after 30 years The new diploma is much better, crisp, clear and a very nice design. To bad it was not presented correctly in photos given to LJW Im sure the designer did not post these photo's.

rockchalker52 4 years ago

Diplomas aside, never have liked the trajan font. That long-legged 'K' isn't workin' for me.
It could work well on, say, the Radio City RocKettes, maybe.

alor 4 years ago

The Board of Regents members aren't going to sign any longer?