Archive for Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blog causes uproar on eve of Beck rally

August 28, 2010

By a image of Neil Armstrong, Glenn Beck, right, waves to supporters Friday at the site of the Restoring Honor rally by the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. The rally will take place today.

— On the eve of conservative commentator Glenn Beck’s rally at the Lincoln Memorial, a blogger’s assertion that parts of the nation’s capital should be avoided touched off accusations of racism and a sharp response by angry city leaders.

Thousands of tea party supporters were expected at the demonstration today that Beck has called a “Restoring Honor” rally to show support of the country’s military at the site where Martin Luther King delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech 47 years ago to the day.

The location and timing prompted civil rights leaders to cry foul.

“They have a right to rally. But what they don’t have the right do is distort what Dr. King’s dream was about,” the Rev. Al Sharpton declared Friday. He called the tea party assembly an anti-government action and has organized a counter rally also near the site of King’s historic speech.

With emotions already high, the work of a largely unknown tea party blogger, Bruce Majors, brought them to a fever pitch on Friday.

The blog, which first appeared last Monday and has been widely viewed and distributed since then, warned conservative protesters visiting the nation’s capital to avoid certain subway lines, suggesting they are unsafe, that certain neighborhoods should be avoided, that the city is populated by the world’s refugees — that taxi drivers are often Arab or African — and that generally visitors should be wary.

And it inspired a satirical map of Washington with all of the city marked unsafe, except for the tiny sliver of the National Mall, home to the Lincoln Memorial. Some people mistakenly assumed the map was put out by Beck rally supporters.

City leaders didn’t see the humor.

“Frankly, we need to put an end to that venom,” said Vincent Gray, a member of the District of Columbia Council and a candidate for mayor, at a news conference Friday. “This is a city of 600,000 people — people who enjoy living here, people who pay their taxes.” He urged tea party activists to ride the subway and visit the city’s neighborhoods.

“People from all over the world work, live, visit and explore this city safely every day,” added Elliott Ferguson, president of the tourism bureau Destination D.C.

Majors said he offered his post as a “visitors guide” to people planning to attend the Beck rally. In an interview Friday, Majors said he was thinking of his mother and people like her who don’t live in cities when he wrote the post. He never expected it to draw much attention.

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

The feds are telling Border Patrol officers to avoid parts of the border. "Border Patrol officers are being told by supervisors to stay out of certain areas as too dangerous, Cochise County's top law enforcement officer said Tuesday. "Agents have told me -- this isn't second-hand -- that there are places where they don't work right along the border because it's too dangerous,'' Larry Dever told Capitol Media Services. More to the point, he said the line officers told him they are simply listening to what they are told by their superiors...." http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/arizona/immigration/article_2518d9de-aa5b-11df-8140-001cc4c03286.html

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Fear, fear, fear, fear, fear.

(sniff, sniff. Don't we miss those red commies)

Bridgett Wagner 4 years, 3 months ago

Tea baggers are the witless pawns of anonymous corporate pseudo activists. The billionaires funneling money into these activities are only interested in their own personal gain.

grammaddy 4 years, 3 months ago

Beck should make up his mind, or close one of his mouths. Is this a rally to honor our military or an attempt to "reclaim the civil rights movement".Make a choice and quit talking out of both sides of your mouth already.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Where was the uproar when Minister King Samir Shabazz, proclaimed ""You want freedom? You're gonna have to kill some crackers! You're gonna have to kill some of their babies!" ?

thebigspoon 4 years, 3 months ago

Probably that you opened your mouth, keyboard-wise.

thebigspoon 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, please do show at least one moment of honesty, Tom. GO.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, Tom, you should have stayed with your plan. However, you're still working hard to turn the LJW forums into another River City Talks.

I agree with thebigspoon.

beatrice 4 years, 3 months ago

Tom, the right came up with the term "tea bagger," not the left. Can you blame the left for finding it humorous that the right didn't even know there was another use for the term? However, since the right has begun to use it to describe themselves, then it now means "people who belong to the neo-Tea Party group." The right came up with it so you only have your own kind to blame. Here is a little something from the National Review to confirm it. The right called themselves tea baggers first, and if the bag fits, wear it. http://nrd.nationalreview.com/article/?q=Mjk1YmRjNzIxNmUwMTI0ZWYxZWU4OWU2MzFiOWJmNDE=

By the way, who is stopping you from your earlier plan? The cold salmon vodka is waiting for you.

cowboy 4 years, 3 months ago

Now that you mention it Tom didn't you throw a big snit and leave. But now you're back large and in charge. so much for taking a stand huh ?

ivalueamerica 4 years, 3 months ago

Tom,

You know NOTHING of freedom of speech, nor any American liberty.

You promote racisms, it was you yourself quite recently telling why you like Mexicans but dislike blacks, right here on these boards.

These boards are not public property, they are private, owned and operated by the LJWorld and just as when someone is on your property, it is at your discretion, when they are on the LJWORLD property, it is at their discretion.

Further, free speech has always had limites, things you say that will incite to violence is illegal, just like yelling fire in an crowd would be if there is no sign of fire.

And you biggest failure of understanding freedom of speech, is that you think it makes you free from being criticisized for saying something stupid, racist, bigoted or unAmerican as you are prone to do.

GardenMomma 4 years, 3 months ago

"...biggest failure of understanding freedom of speech, is that you think it makes you free from being criticisized for saying something stupid, racist, bigoted or unAmerican..."

Very well said. I think that's a misconception that quite a few people have in this country.

scott3460 4 years, 3 months ago

"He never expected it to draw much attention."

Well, that makes me feel better.

NoSpin 4 years, 3 months ago

If you don't like Beck, don't watch him or go to D.C. Rev. Al is so tolerant that he is forming a rally right next to him to oppose him. Beck is raising funds for Vets. Guess that's why people are protesting. Figures.

barlowtl 4 years, 3 months ago

Just to set the record. For years the MLK rally has been an annual event on the anniversary of his speech, why did Beck pick that day? Who is opposing who?

NoSpin 4 years, 3 months ago

You are free to question his motive about the day he chose. Maybe Sunday did not fit his schedule. Who knows? This does not make him a racist. Maybe he was unwise to pick that day. Unwise does not equal racist, Rev Al and barlow.

camper 4 years, 3 months ago

The blog warned....— that taxi drivers are often Arab or African —

Ironic that the article next to this in today's LJW is the story about a deranged person who slashed an arabic passenger in a Taxi.

It is kind of interesting watching this phenomena of Glenn Beck and Palin. They have every right to organize (but don't call it community organizer, because only the libs do that), but they just ain't my cup of tea (no pun intended). Even if I were in their camp politically, I still would not be much interested in this rally. I never have liked people telling me what my values should be or restored to, what constitutes true patriotism...or freedom. To me what Beck is doing is the exact opposite of what I value as freedom. This reminds me so much of the Quayle / Bush "Family Values" propaganda back in the early nineties.

And I might say extreme patriotism is a characteristic of fascism. I think the US is the best country on the planet, but I moderate my patriotism with an equal amount of skepticism. And right now I'm just skeptical of the ultra-conservative movement.

ralphralph 4 years, 3 months ago

Beck used to be sane and interesting. Then he went crazy and starting crying, and he got rich and famous. We get what we reward, Snookie.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Who actually put up this blog? The story doesn't specify. There are such things as false flag operations, you know.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

This seems to be the blog that has so many knickers knotted. http://paintmainered.ning.com/profiles/blogs/so-you-are-coming-to-the-828 The author, taking a leaf from SEIU's playbook, lists the home address of Pelosi, Reid, and Daschle with the tag "Feel Free to Protest". Go check it out.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Every side in politics anymore has it's share of Lunatics.
Beck/Sharpton. Palin/Pelosi.
It is just depressing. I just don't criticize Beck much becuase he is no better or worse than all the other lunatics out there on both sides.
There is not enough hours in the day to talk about all of them. So neither side should get too self-rightous. The extremes of both parties are just plain nuts.

scott3460 4 years, 3 months ago

So, this speech/event was going to be so profound that it changed the world. Was it?

John Kyle 4 years, 3 months ago

No. America is a racist country and we're showing it.

verity 4 years, 3 months ago

Beck is so cute---I just love a sensitive man who cries. And those blue eyes---wild and crazy. And that blond crew cut. But I do go on. Grrrr!

Mike Ford 4 years, 3 months ago

wow the historian in me realized watching that clown on tv that MLK wouldn't have approved of a veterans fund raising event on the mall on the anniversary of the "I have a Dream Speech"... It's a little something called the Poor People's March that MLK participated in speaking out against the inequities of minorities fighting wars against each other for racist imperialistic masters... the United States and France. Back then, it was fighting a war for a country that still discriminated in some parts of the country in public places. I have a Mississippi Choctaw acquaintance who was forced to go the back of the KFC in Philadelphia, MS with the Black citizens of that town in 1969. He was also required to sit in the balcony of a church and the balconies of theatres in the year I was born...1970. Native Americans, Latinos, and African Americans fighting for a country that discriminated against them.

Harry Truman integrated the US Military in 1948 by executive order, escorting the young Strom Thurmonds, Jesse Helms, and George Wallaces out of the Democratic Party, into the Dixiecrat party, then the Republican Party, and having their followers and their children into the Tea Party and the mockery that I saw today. I know this to be true because my ex grandfather was already on the Tea Party Trip a month or so after the 2008 election. He is a Fox devotee, stting in one of the few homes in his neighborhood rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina hit Pascagoula, MS, five years ago tomorrow. He lost his home to a 30 foot wave from the Gulf. He is a perfect example of the hypocracy and historical and cultural schizophrenia of the people in D.C. today. He called out my late Mom and I for being g..d..... liberal democrats. He is my bullseye of info when dealing with the Shewmons and Penders of these postings.

Anyway, MLK took a stance against Vietnam being fought by poor minority Americans and even LBJ went against him. I think I heard Dr. Cornell West speak of the tongue lashing MLK took for speaking out against racism, imperialism, and exploitation in the fighting of the Vietnam War. It's rumored that this is amongst the reasons that April 4, 1968 happened. My father took me ot the Lorraine Motel in Memphis in 1973 and told me this is what bad southerers do as we stood where the shooting happened. We had just left the home of my ex-grandfather who was acting like Archie Bunker that Christmas, 1973 in Memphis. I wonder if ADD Beck even knows or cares about this history. Maybe I can watch him speak some more bs Monday about how Ohio Moundbuilding Native Americans had ancient stones with Hebrew written on them... fascinating bs from a crazy guy... makes me think he's P.T. Barnum... oh wait a minute.. he is...

tunahelper 4 years, 3 months ago

al sharpton is a loon, not Glenn Beck. I can't wait for November when all the leftist democrats will be voted out and we can get back to restoring America. Restoring America had 100,000 people at it, and al sharpton's loony leftists had a few hundred. I can't wait for November!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

The rest of the story: “Those crack researchers at MSNBC have done it again! Last week, hosts Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow both did stories about a blogger whose travel instructions for folks going to Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally got posted at the Maine Tea Party Patriots website. Included were warnings about what stops to avoid on the DC Metro. Predictably, the liberal blogosphere had a field day with this citing it as another "example" of racism within the Tea Party. There's only one problem: the culprit, a Washington, D.C.-based realtor, is a major contributor to the Democrat Party as well as gay rights groups…”

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/08/30/matthews-and-maddow-bash-racist-tea-party-blogger-who-contributes-dem#ixzz0y7DYWF66