Archive for Thursday, August 26, 2010

Woman reports theft of purse at apartment complex

August 26, 2010

An 18-year-old woman reported to Lawrence police that a man came up to her car and took her purse Thursday morning.

The woman said she was sitting in her car in the parking lot at the Campus Court at Naismith apartments, 1301 W. 24th St, when a man reportedly took her purse off her lap, said Lawrence police Sgt. Matt Sarna. The suspect fled on a bicycle.

The victim drove several blocks to a business and called police. No injuries were reported, and the suspect did not threaten the victim or display a weapon, Sarna said.

Police searched the area but could not find the suspect, who was is described as a thin black man between 20 and 30 years old, 5-foot-7, who was last seen riding east on 24th Street wearing a blue shirt, black doo rag and cargo pants, Sarna said.

Comments

DillonBarnes 5 years ago

Topeka is a long way to come from on a bicycle. :)

William McCauley 5 years ago

More then likely a bike jacking, those Topeka thugs are highly skilled at bike jacking.

jfcm77 5 years ago

She could have just driven over the robber.

evilpenguin 5 years ago

What I would like to know is the details of how the man took her purse i.e.

1. Was her car door open or closed?
  2. Did he reach in the window and grab the bag?
  3. Was he a friend sitting in the car, who stole her bag and then rode off on a bicycle somehow?

How can you be sitting in your car with your bag on your lap and someone just takes it and cycles off? Seriously? What's the bets she put the bag on top of her car, drove somewhere, it fell off and now she's looking for someone to blame for her own foolishness.

Lisa Rasor 5 years ago

Actually, I find it very easy to believe that the guy reached through her open car window and snatched the purse. Picture it: she's texting some friends, totally engrossed, and is completely unaware of what's going on around her. No, that doesn't make it OK for someone to rob her. But you can see how it might happen. Be aware of your surroundings, folks, no matter where you are.

evilpenguin 5 years ago

Your point is right, a lot of people just don't seem to be very vigilant.

Every time I am in the car by myself, I lock the doors and put the AC on if it's hot. That way I feel much safer, no windows are open and I know that unless somebody really wants to rob me, chances are I'm not the easiest target on the street.

It's really just using common sense and living with the assumption that everyone will try and rob you :)

impska 5 years ago

You're supposed to be vigilant at ATMs and at drive thru windows because someone can walk up and rob you through your window. She probably wasn't paying attention and he just came up and took her by surprise.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

oh! now Andrew Hartzog will write about how abused and misunderstood the bicycle burglars are in this town!

black doo rag. wow, who'd'a thunk it!

freestitch 5 years ago

New name...same old Felony Hoods.

haggisgirl 5 years ago

It would be quite easy to do if she was driving a convertible. I always put my purse in the trunk of mine when the top is down.

Jessicadyan 5 years ago

First of all let's get the FACTS right... I was the victim...

I was leaving for work at 550am so it was completely dark outside. I am 25 not 18. I first noticed him riding on a bike. After I got in my car I was reaching to close my door and that's when he ran up to me and snatched my purse. So the story here is why weren't my apartment lights working and why the security gates not closed. So before you go second guessing a victims story make sure the facts are correct!!