Archive for Thursday, August 26, 2010

Kansas drivers could get paid for buckling their seat belts

August 26, 2010

— For two weeks, Kansas drivers who are sure to buckle up could be paid for their efforts.

Between Aug. 29 and Sept. 11, volunteers in 46 Kansas cities will hand out $1 bills to drivers who have everyone in the vehicles secured. The Bucks for Buckles campaign is sponsored by Safe Kids Kansas, State Farm and the Kansas Department of Transportation.

Drivers with unrestrained passengers will get educational materials about using seat belts and child safety seats.

Cherie Sage, state director for Safe Kids Kansas, said 70 percent of the 388 people who died in traffic accidents in Kansas last year were unbuckled. A KDOT survey last year found only 77 percent of Kansas drivers and passengers ages 14 and older wore their seat belts.

Comments

tsunami9320 3 years, 7 months ago

Wow, a whole dollar, eh? Yeah, that's all it will take to make me and mine buckle up.

The creators of this idea are idiots.

croutons 3 years, 7 months ago

Seriously? Is personal safety not incentive enough to don safety belts? You're telling me that there's no better use for these dollars?

IslandContributor 3 years, 7 months ago

They gave me a dollar at Mcdonalds it was nice the lady said she was glad to see we were all buckled up she was to busy to notice the multiple open containers and the fact we were driving the car backwards through the drive-thru oh well at least we were wearing our safety belts and i got a buck!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

Will they also be checking for the presence of trousers?

autie 3 years, 7 months ago

my cousins will go seek out where the dollars are given out and try driving around the block repeatedly...trying to get more dollars...free money equal free beer....one more dollar and they can get a twelve pack of old milwaukee light and drive around in the country hammering them down.

gr 3 years, 7 months ago

How does me bucking up or not affect your buckling up?

Beer Guy 3 years, 7 months ago

What! Your driving your car while your friend isn't wearing a seat belt. That's it, you get a stormy cloud and a check minus on your progress report today.

evilpenguin 3 years, 7 months ago

A dollar for wearing your seat belt, if only all money were so easy to come by! I wouldn't say no to a free dollar.

If I am correct in thinking that, by law, everyone in a vehicle must be wearing a seat belt, then why are those who are not wearing a seat belt not being given a ticket?

The scenario will go as such

Dollar person: "Hello, I see you're not wearing a life-saving seat belt and neither are your young children"

Non seat belt wearer: "No, we're not, I don't believe in seat belts. I think that the government runs everyone's lives and spends their time making life difficult for everyone. I won't buy into their schemes"

Dollar person: "Ok, wellllll, no dollar for you! But here are some educational materials because THOSE will help protect your kids when a drunk driver smashes into your car at 70mph. Then you can spend the rest of your life regretting your terrible choice and laziness because you just couldn't be bothered strapping your kids and yourself in"

Non seat belt wearer: "Thanks so much, I'll be sure to not bother strapping my kids in ever. Especially since you're telling me that is what is safest and best for my kids and clearly I know better. So you can keep your dollar and, seeing as I'm not getting a ticket, I'll keep the kids un-strapped"

Dollar person: "Uhhh...okkkk....?"

Agnostick 3 years, 7 months ago

Was there a sale on rancid goat urine at Wal-Mart this weekend? Everyone except jchristine2 sounds like they're working on a 55-gallon drum of the stuff today. What do you folks use to suck it up, a fire hose?

Have experienced this program three or four times myself, allow me to dispense with a few actual facts:

1) Not every single person will be given a dollar.

2) Nobody is forcing you, or anyone else, to accept this dollar (Can you read this, lawrenceguy40? If so, please untwist your little lace panties before it cuts off all oxygen to your pea-sized brain.)

3) This "program" does not happen everywhere, every day.

Where I've seen the program is at McDonald's, in the morning, in the drive-through lane. I go through about twice a week for a jumbo iced coffee (and occasionally, a breakfast sandwich). You roll up to the menu where you place your order, and there's somebody standing there wearing a special vest or t-shirt. This person, I've noticed, is on the older side, probably retired. (Are you following me, stund? Are you capable of grasping this concept? I know my 5-year-old could understand it...)

So I roll down the window to order and I get this smile and "Good morning!! Looks to me like you're wearing your seat belt this morning--this is for you!" And I'm thinking, "Great! The large iced coffee is $1.99--this lady just took care of half my order."

I remember once getting $2; not only was I wearing a seat belt, but I was taking my daughter to day care, and she was strapped into her car seat in the back seat.

You know, if you're ever driving along, and you see those telltale flashing lights in your rearview mirror... chances are the officer that you'll soon be dealing with will not be rewarding you for anything.

A fair share of our state and municipal workers are out there penalizing folks for breaking the law--and they should. What's so bad about being recognized for doing the right thing once in a while?

Sorry if I sounded condescending at times, but most of you folks really need to be condescended to. Remedial reading wouldn't hurt, either.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

Floyd Craig 3 years, 7 months ago

and they say they dont have money to pay the state works for wages I was one once and the pay sucks big time

lawrenceguy40 3 years, 7 months ago

Liberals feel that they have a God given right to tell other folks how to live their lives. Only God has that right, and liberals know nothing of Him.

none2 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope this money isn't coming from the state of Kansas (via the transportation department) after the stated had all the money issues from the budget this year.

Beer Guy 3 years, 7 months ago

Don't people have lives? When are they going to start handing out $1 bills for not buying or eating meat. Or walking instead of driving. Jezzz, cant people just live there life without strangers lecturing them or rewarding them for having the same view points.

jchristine2 3 years, 7 months ago

GOOD IDEA! Spread the word. Yeah, its only $1, but still, its a good idea. And, if there are kids in the car, they probably will think $1 is a lot. I think its a neat idea. And, if you are going to get stopped, you may as well get a buck out of it since you would be buckled up anyways right?

flux 3 years, 7 months ago