Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fire crews secure potentially hazardous materials at KU’s Haworth Hall

Firefighters from Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical investigate a report of a chemical spill inside Kansas University's Haworth Hall Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. Crews were on the scene about 7 a.m. and evacuated the building for more than an hour. The building reopened in time for 9:30 classes.

Firefighters from Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical investigate a report of a chemical spill inside Kansas University's Haworth Hall Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. Crews were on the scene about 7 a.m. and evacuated the building for more than an hour. The building reopened in time for 9:30 classes.

August 26, 2010, 7:56 a.m. Updated August 26, 2010, 4:45 p.m.

Advertisement

Suspicious container at Haworth Hall

HazMat crews secured suspicious material inside a container at Haworth Hall on the Kansas University campus Thursday morning. The building was briefly evacuated after the container was found about 7 a.m. Enlarge video

KU building evacuated after chemical spill

Hazmat was called to Haworth Hall after a chemical spill, apparently caused by a custodian knocking the chemicals over. Enlarge video

1200 Sunnyside Ave.

Kansas University’s Haworth Hall was briefly evacuated Thursday morning after an accidental chemical spill.

University officials said a custodian apparently knocked over some canisters in the building’s basement. A HazMat team was dispatched to the building at 1200 Sunnyside Ave. around 7:30 a.m., and determined the chemicals were nontoxic.

Sunnyside Avenue was closed for about an hour between Illinois Street and Naismith Drive on Thursday morning while the scene was being investigated.

After the substance was identified, the building reopened around 8:30 a.m., and classes after 9:30 were held as scheduled.

Comments

Steve Bunch 4 years ago

If the odor was omitted, how do we know there was an odor to begin with? Do I hear a tree falling in a faraway forest? Is there a copy editor in the house?

0

sunflower97 4 years ago

You beat me to it Alf. Where's TEAL when we need them?!

0

clovis_sangrail 4 years ago

Let's not leave out "Chemicals are varying types are often stored in that building."

And "KU is posted alerts on its website at alert.ku.edu."

And the missing comma between the two independent clauses in "Haworth Hall has been evacuated and students, faculty and staff are urged to avoid the area."

0

Steve Bunch 4 years ago

Thanks, Clovis. I'm appalled that I emitted those from my post.

0

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Has anybody seen my left-overs from Burrito King?

0

Jonathan Kealing 4 years ago

Typos have been corrected. As usual, in a breaking news scenario, we're far more concerned about getting the information out and then going back and cleaning up typos.

0

Cai 4 years ago

I'd be more forgiving if it only happened in breaking news stories. But casual "interest" stories are filled with them too, and often to a far worse degree.

An innocuous article about back to school lunches, with a list of recipes, is missing a title, and at least 2 ingredients from the top of a recipe in the middle. Is that breaking news we're more concerned about getting than having cleaned of 'typos' ? http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/aug...

Plus, there is no 'going back' and cleaning up typos. That was posted 2 days ago - no one has corrected it, and it doesn't stand alone over the last week, let alone ever.

0

Jonathan Kealing 4 years ago

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We'll try and get that corrected.

0

LogicMan 4 years ago

As my wise little cousin once said:

"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try. "

:-)

0

wmathews 4 years ago

Hi Cai. The recipe was missing a title only. I fixed it, and you should see it if you refresh the page. Thanks for letting us know.

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

0

OonlyBonly 4 years ago

Proof time: "of two cylinders in the building's in the basement emitting an odor." Maybe "in the building's basement?"

0

bopro 4 years ago

Can anyone just be thankfull no one was hurt instead of all the I am smater than you stuff.

0

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

do they have a conceal and typo permit?

0

Ian Legler 4 years ago

Personally I think people who find it entertaining and fun to overly scrutinize the editing of online articles really should have far better things to do. They seem to be under the impression that it is really easy to run a website....

0

Cai 4 years ago

@lawrenceguy40

No one did. A grad student dropped some sulfric acid based buffer. If it'd been on someone, it would've caused burns, but the fumes wouldn't have actually caused a lot of damage elsewhere.

0

Kirk Larson 4 years ago

Actually, the chem grad students I know work pretty near 24/7.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.