Archive for Thursday, August 26, 2010

De Soto woman charged with endangering her child seeks reduction in bond

August 26, 2010

A De Soto woman charged with child abuse and aggravated child endangerment for starving her 6 year-old son in the attic of her home is seeking a reduction in her bond.

Rachel Perez appeared in Johnson County District Court Thursday morning asking for her bond to be reduced from $250,000 to $5,000 — or less — citing her pregnancy as the reason.

Johnson County District Judge Peter Ruddick set a hearing for Sept. 17 to consider her request.

Perez, 26, is approximately four months pregnant and has two daughters, who, as of Monday, are in state custody. Her son, who has Down syndrome, was found by sheriff's deputies in Perez's attic on Aug. 17, emaciated and covered in feces. The boy was taken to Children's Mercy Hospital to recover.

Comments

jayhawk72 3 years, 7 months ago

Second term abortion shouldn't be an option here. The state should just take custody of the boy and the baby once it's born. Although, with my recent experience with them (State), they tend to give far too many chances to an abusive parent when the situation doesn't warrant another chance. Far too many children fall through the cracks and remain in neglectful and abusive homes. My personal experience has been soured by the State and how they have failed my stepsons. Instead of them stepping in and taking control, they slap hands repeatedly and turn a blind eye. I blame that on a failing system that isn't funded appropriately, nor given enough manpower for the caseloads they have. My heart goes out to the children affected by ANY neglect and abuse. But, abortion isn't the answer in this situation. I do believe however, in this case, there should be a mandatory sterilization law for child abuse cases this severe. Carrying that life inside you is a blessing and a wonderful, godly feeling. Raising your child is a privilege and an honor. Being a parent is not easy, its a hard journey. But the end result is watching this part of you grow, learn and succeed at becoming an upstanding adult in society. I wish the boy and the unborn child the best of the world and all it has to offer and may they never come in contact with anyone with such a cold and dark heart like their mother. As for the Bond reduction hearing...everytime she requests to be seen by the judge costs money (court costs). State needs money...they will milk this for all its worth all the while denying her reduction. Its just dollar signs to them. Prisions have nurses for just these types of situations.

whats_going_on 3 years, 7 months ago

citing her pregnancy...does she think they are going to deny her baby care while she's in custody? I'd hope not. I'm sure being on the inside is going to be safer for the child anyway, who knows what kind of garbage she does at home. Drugs? Alcohol?

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

---uh ... that would be no!

yes this woman obviously has serious mental illness and cruelty. perhaps complete lack of conscience.

indeed, where are the males [they don't qualify as "men"] that impregnated this wench? throw them in jail too!

and in our country's ethic of abortion, it is okay for such a woman to inflict a dreadfully tortuous abortion death on her baby,with pain felt by that baby. yet we get all up in arms for the boy in the attic.
babies in the womb too!

Bob Forer 3 years, 7 months ago

I have no problem with a bond reduction, as long as she agrees to an abortion or immediately relinquishing her parental rights to her future child. This woman has no business ruining a fourth child.

mk9992 3 years, 7 months ago

Why would she want to be on the outside? Everyone knows about this story. She would be relentlessly harassed and rightfully so.

Jimbecile 3 years, 7 months ago

I think this girl should be burned at the stake in a public square. Reduce her bail? Is she kidding? Plus, the state desperately needs to remove that newborn (from her custody) the second it enters this world. Of course, only after she's had a chance to hold it. That way she can always suffer the memory of losing them.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 7 months ago

I wonder where these baby daddy is? probably ought to lock them up too for having extremely poor judgment.

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 7 months ago

Such an asinine request... to drop bail from 250K to 5K. If I was the judge I'd double the bail as punishment for such a stupid request.

Practicality 3 years, 7 months ago

ummm, you lock away a helpless kid (your kid by the way, not that it really matters) to where he is using insulation as a blanket and is trying to eat feces because he is so hungry, and you expect leniancy now???? Does that about sum up your argument?

Get used to hearing the work NO, because in prison, where you are going, they will tell you that alot. Might as well start accepting it now.

Irenaku 3 years, 7 months ago

No. No. No. Keep her in jail, monitor the pregnancy, when the child is born, take him/her away from her immediately.

LJ Whirled 3 years, 7 months ago

troll 3 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if there is a way for the state to take custody of her baby before it is born.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 7 months ago

Even if she is released I doubt they would let her any where around the kids right now. I don't hink she should be released right now though because in jail they can at least monitor her eating so the unbord child isn't compromised.

cryineyes 3 years, 7 months ago

I have raised two children to adulthood on my own, and I understand the stress, but I am wondering how anyone, especially the child's mother, could sleep at night knowing what she was doing to a child? I don;t get it...never will.

slowplay 3 years, 7 months ago

If there ever was a case for mandated tubal ligation...this is it.

nekansan 3 years, 7 months ago

Is there something stronger than hell no!?! The last thing any of this woman's kids need is to be in an environment where she can harm them further. It's almost comical that she is suddenly concerned for the health of her offspring.