Archive for Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Campaign Notebook: Gay candidate for Legislature receives death threat

Dan Manning, a Democratic candidate for the 91st District, is openly gay and got a note on his door Saturday that was full of homosexual slurs and death threats.

August 25, 2010, 2:47 p.m. Updated August 25, 2010, 7:24 p.m.

— An openly gay Democratic candidate for the Legislature in Wichita said Wednesday that he received a death threat in the form of a homophobic note left on his front door.

Dan Manning, a West Point graduate who served in the U.S. Army, said that the note scared him a bit but he wasn’t going to be intimidated.

“It put a little fear in me, but it has strengthened my resolve,” Manning said.

He said he found the letter Saturday afternoon on the door of his apartment after returning from work in Hesston where he is a production supervisor at AGCO, a farm equipment manufacturer.

“My impression is that they wanted to intimidate me,” Manning said of the person who left the note, which was made from cut-out words and letters from a newspaper.

Police are investigating the incident.

Manning faces state Rep. Brenda Landwehr, a Republican, in the Nov. 2 election. Landwehr said the only thing she knew about the incident was from Manning’s Facebook page.

“I don’t believe things like that have any place in America today,” she said of the note.

Manning said the race has been going well. He said his sexual orientation hasn’t been an issue with voters he has spoken with in his door-to-door campaigning.

“People are concerned about bringing jobs to Kansas, improving the quality of schools and the economy,” he said.

Comments

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years ago

"...the letter scared him a bit but he wasn’t going to be intimidated by it."

Excellent! Don't let closed-minded freaks get the best of you, Dan. Stay strong!

easyliving 4 years ago

Wonder where the PhelpsHateChurch was worshiping this week?

rogueokie 4 years ago

You know, that was my first thought too.

Danielle Brunin 4 years ago

I just Shirley(?) and the gang here in downtown Topeka.

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

That note looks straight out of some 60's B-movie script.

weeslicket 4 years ago

my bad. just saw the link.

weeslicket 4 years ago

wow. that's some punk-zodiak stuff.

evilpenguin 4 years ago

Jeez...really....? You'd think if someone was going to bother making a death threat they would at least check their spelling beforehand. People are so dumb!

Kirk Larson 4 years ago

"Why can't Johnny hate?"

dontcallmedan 4 years ago

My heart goes out to your grandchildren.

parrothead8 4 years ago

Let's see...death threat happens and how to get your insensitivity towards human life out in public...I know, blame the victim and post it on a public message board.

Stay classy, Kansas!

bradh 4 years ago

You're assuming this was a real death threat. Since many of the terrible PC threats turn out to be done by the person threatened to gain attention or notoriety it seems Grandma has a valid point. Let the police investigate and see what comes of it.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years ago

Occam's razor, brad. Usually, the simplest explanation is most accurate. Grandma's assumptions are unfounded. You are correct that the police investigation will eliminate the possibility you and she suggest. Yet, that possibility is the larger assumption, not the assumption that the candidate did this himself.

What's that old chestnut, the cliche that everyone always talks about? The tired, worn-out advice handed down from generation to generation, even though it isn't relevant in 2010?

Oh, yes, now I recall. "Innocent until proven guilty." Let's not jump to the conclusion he did this himself until there is sufficient evidence to overcome reasonable doubt. You know, that whole "judge not" thing.

Daniel Speicher 4 years ago

T_O_L... Not that I believe this to be the case, but technically by using Occam's razor, the simplest explanation would, in fact, be that he created the note himself as lex parsimoniae would dictate that the least number of associations would lead to the simplest conclusion. Thus, if he made the note and posted it on his own door, than that is only one association, thus making it the simplest explanation.

Once again, I highly doubt this is the case. Simply stating the razor, in this situation, cuts the other way.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years ago

I disagree, Daniel. The assumptions underlying Grandma and brad's hypothesis are that the victim is motivated to approximate a terroristic hate crime by a third party. The simpler solution is that an actual third party actually did commit a hate crime.

Your point is accurate in that by "associations" you mean "actors," but the greater complexity of human cognition and motivation belies your conclusion.

mbulicz 4 years ago

You have any evidence, facts, or figured to substantiate your claim?

News flash: most threats against oppressed groups in society are real. That's what makes them oppressed.

parrothead8 4 years ago

Since "many" of the terrible threats turn out to be done by the person threatened? Which ones were those? I don't recall any lately.

beatrice 4 years ago

Dan Manning went to West Point?

I thought he went to KU then got drafted by the Clippers.

Ralph Reed 4 years ago

I'll assume you're making a joke, right bea?

FormerCentralKansan 4 years ago

Look at the first "O" in "Homo"...I swear I can see a fingerprint right above it when I expand the .pdf file to 800%. Ultra-right wing conservative MORONS. I'm soooooooo glad I moved away from that part of the state 15 years ago.

Boston_Corbett 4 years ago

I always so trust the accuracy of websites which sell "Nobama" merchandise to make money. It's a sure sign of journalistic quality.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years ago

Looks like the letter writer could use some help from the Word Nerds--

whynaut 4 years ago

disturbing.

I hope the lack of coherent sentence structure is simply a sign of poor grammar and not a sign of severe mental instability. I hope the police keep an eye on his place.

kansanjayhawk 4 years ago

It is not acceptable to threaten anyone with violence. If you don't agree with this candidates lack of "family values" then simply don't elect him. These types of things actually tend to benefit the recipient of the threat. Let's just elect common sense conservative candidates who want less gov't, less taxation, and who advocate for the traditional family unit. Homosexuality should be suppressed as an abberation and sin against God. This should be done by demonstrating the importance of traditional values and not by violence.

mbulicz 4 years ago

Here, let me cash in on this death threat to spout my political beliefs, show off my religion, and explain why the lifestyle of this man I've never met is an abomination and evil.

Nope, no insecurity at all to see here. Keep moving, folks.