Archive for Thursday, August 19, 2010

Poll: Many call Obama Muslim

August 19, 2010

— Americans increasingly are convinced — incorrectly — that President Barack Obama is a Muslim, and a growing number are thoroughly confused about his religion.

Nearly one in five people, or 18 percent, said they think Obama is Muslim, up from the 11 percent who said so in March 2009, according to a poll released Thursday. The proportion who correctly say he is a Christian is down to just 34 percent.

The largest share of people, 43 percent, said they don’t know his religion, an increase from the 34 percent who said that in early 2009.

The survey, conducted by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center and its affiliated Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, is based on interviews conducted before the controversy over whether Muslims should be permitted to construct a mosque near the World Trade Center site. Obama has said he believes Muslims have the right to build an Islamic center there, though he’s also said he won’t take a position on whether they should actually build it.

In a separate poll by Time magazine/ABT SRBI conducted Monday and Tuesday — after Obama’s comments about the mosque — 24 percent said they think he is Muslim, 47 percent said they think he is Christian and 24 percent didn’t know or didn’t respond.

Comments

Snodgrass 5 years ago

Grundoon Luna 5 years ago

I have one: What time will you be available to be examined by the team of professionals needed to determine the best course of treatment for your paranoid delusion?

jimmyjms 5 years ago

Yes, I have a question.

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Repeatedly, perhaps?

Sean Livingstone 5 years ago

My friends always asked me why do all Asians look alike when he can tell the differences between a German and a French. I always like to remind him that Arabs, Indians and Chinese are all Asians. Then he changed to "Oh, I mean Chinese, Koreans and Japanese, all look the same". I always tell him that i cannot differentiate between a Caucasian American and a Caucasian European even when I'm an Asian American, until they speak. But my friends always tell me that Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans languages are always the same..... but I always tell him that Spanish, French and English sound different... but are base on the same lineage.... and they always ask me to tell them how different Chinese, Korean and Japanese are base on what they know about Latin-base languages.... I always tell them it's very difficult to explain..... unless they bother to learn those languages.

Why was I saying so much nonsense? Americans don't really know much about Islam, and like to group all Muslims into one. That's the reason why they thought Obama is a Muslim. Sure.... Africa is a country.... France is a province in Europe.... we all heard of these.... it's really not surprising to have people like you around. But the scariest thing is that you guys have a vote..... sure, that's freedom and your right. But I really hope you exercise it with responsibility.

Lindsey Buscher 5 years ago

ivalueamerica 5 years ago

you forgot the biggest part of the list.

Repeated racist lies presented by the racist extreme right with a gullible public that confuse soundbites for facts.

ivalueamerica 5 years ago

you forgot the biggest part of the list.

jaywalker 5 years ago

Looks like an ugly forecast for the LJW community today; a high pressure system has moved into the area, overtaking a low intelligence front and effectively creating an unstable website that will see much upheaval throughout the course of the day. It is recommended that residents stay away from the site unless absolutely necessary, make sure to pack plenty of nausea pills, and put on a thick skin. Stay tuned to WeatherAlive for further updates.

jaywalker 5 years ago

Pot calling kettle, come in kettle....over.

anonyname 5 years ago

In other words, more of the same.

independant1 5 years ago

Grundoon Luna 5 years ago

The only tin foil needed is for the pyramid hat Snodgrass needs to keep "them" from reading his thoughts.

independant1 5 years ago

1. Full Face Helmet (fire resistant) 2. Nomex Fire Suit (coveralls) 3. Nomex Hood 4. Nomex Gloves 5. Driving shoes (fire resistant) 6. Nomex Underwear 7. Helmet Support

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

The faith of the current regime has two gods, money and power.

Grundoon Luna 5 years ago

So 20% think he's a Muslim? Probably the same poor misguided 20% that still think Dubya did a good job. Good thing it us in the middle that will decide for them in November.

jonas_opines 5 years ago

Ooh, this should be fun, grab the popcorn.

Hey, where's the popcorn?

Dammit Obamao! Whar popcorn, Obamao, whar?!

BigAl 5 years ago

Obama is a Muslim. Obama is not a natural citizen. Bush orchestrated the 9/11 attack. Obama hates America. Bush was/is a coke addict. Cheney said the Iraq war would be paid for with Iraqi oil..... oh wait.

Some folks on both sides of the political spectrum need to find reality. FOX news spent most of last night hinting that President Obama actually WANTS the Mosque built. CNN spent the night covering the troop withdrawals from Iraq without any political leanings. Which one is fair and balanced?

This stuff is crazy.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years ago

crazy, right on Big Al. You forgot the faked moon landings, the guy on the grassy knoll, and the planned demolition of the twin towers. You have to get all these looney conspiracy plots in this demolition of civility in American society.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years ago

Sorry Big All, you DID get the planned demolition of the twin towers, Bush did it!!!!!!

My bad!

staff04 5 years ago

The advent of the far-right radiosphere had nothing to do with it, right Tom? They were just the innocent victims.

They (I assume you are speaking of the 18% of avowed morons the poll describes) deserve to be singled out Tom.

thusspokezarathustra 5 years ago

Rush Limbaugh launched his radio show on his current flagship station on August 1, 1988. The World Wide Web was introduced by CERN in 1991 but wasn't really popular until the graphical interface MOSAIC was introduced in 1993. I guess Rush was just being partisan in response to future partisanship from the not yet invented blogosphere.

grammaddy 5 years ago

People wouldn't believe such stupidity if they'd listen to something besides Faux Noise. Or even better, READ.Educate yourself by reading or viewing more than just one channel or newspaper. Read opposing views and get both sides of the story, then decide for yourself. Don't be sheeple and don't believe everything you read or hear.

thusspokezarathustra 5 years ago

It's really rich that a guy who misspelled the word "ridiculous" even after it was correctly spelled for him is deciding who the "community of illiterates" is. That is funny. In defense of those "illiterates" I can only say that they,"do not live in an ivory tower where periods and commas are scrutinized and graded on a daily basis. It has been my observation that there are those who become so obsessed with "appearing" intelligent that they often lose the ability to communicate with the average Joe, simply because they are attempting to impress others with their inflated sense of self worth and self righteousNESS through vocabulary that is indecipherable to most. Arrogance of this type is insufferable." -AppleJack August 15, 2010

MyName 5 years ago

Coming from someone who spends way too much time posting crap online, and yet can't even type "incompetent" correctly, I think that's a complement on the President's performance!

Thinking_Out_Loud 5 years ago

You don't happen to mean you think it's a "compliment," do you?

Kirk Larson 5 years ago

The poll should have had a box to check that said "Don't care".

jimmyjms 5 years ago

As evidenced by this thread, at least 20% of Americans are ignorant of their history, the founding of their country, current events, and of anything that is not repeated ad nauseam on Fox News, home of $1 million dollars worth of GOP talking points.

situveux1 5 years ago

And I care about this why? Oh that's right, I don't.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

"Nearly one in five people, or 18 percent, said they think Obama is Muslim,"

These teabaggers don't need facts-- they've got Fox and "truthiness."

verity 5 years ago

Autie, where are you with the moonshine? The popcorn's almost gone and I'm really thirsty. I'm going to get whiplash going back and forth between this thread and the Pitts article.

BigAl 5 years ago

Tom, I don't believe I singled out conservatives. I think the people that claim "W" was behind the 9/11 attack are just as crazy. I don't think Bush was a good president but he wasn't a bad man. I think Obama is a good man but may be in over his head.

Seriously, I don't know anything about "far left blogosphere". I don't search anything out like that on the internet. The only 'mouths-a-afoamin' I see are the talking heads on FOX News, and on occasion, I see that guy on MSNBC...(can't think of his name, I'm gettin' old).

However, by far, the most I hear and see is far-right mouths-a-foamin'. I see it daily through emails, talk radio and FOX News. I know the other side is out there, I just don't see it. I know it is there.

BigAl 5 years ago

I agree with you Tom. However, I think the bulk of this far-right vs far-left started maybe with Reagan? Definitely by Clinton's time. It just gets crazy.

By the way, you used to be very critical of people that hated George W Bush. You admit to "despising" Obama. Hate can cloud one's thinking.

I am a Vietnam veteran. I came out of that war a Republican but over the years, I have moved more to the Democrats. Just fyi, I voted for Nixon, Reagan (once) and HW Bush. Unlike a lot of folks, I do not vote a party line. America before Party. A lot of people have lost that.

1029 5 years ago

Well, Obama is black, and I'm a rural, white simpleton with a high school education, so yeah, it seems pretty obvious to me that he's a Muslim.

bad_dog 5 years ago

A BS degree. Hmm... Seems apropo somehow.

Jimo 5 years ago

Perhaps we need to reconsider the prohibition on literacy tests for voting rights. I would think question #1 "Is Barrack Obama a Muslim?" at the top of the ballot would allow election officials to quarantine those voters lacking a sufficient grasp of reality as a prerequisite to making any sensible decision.

oldvet 5 years ago

Yep, and also eliminate the morons who can't read anything... and those who try to vote but can't read english... good idea, Jimo...

mdfraz 5 years ago

BigAl, I'm guessing you and I would disagree on a number of issues, just from reading your posts here (I'm making assumptions with little information, admittedly), but I appreciate your honesty. Also, I love the "America before Party" line. I lean right for the most part, but I don't vote for a candidate because of the little "R" or "D" next to their name. If more people voted the issues and the individual instead of the party, perhaps we could get somewhere. Maybe not, but the "my-side-is-smarter-than-your-side" crap doesn't promote much in the way of discussion, deep thought, or problem solving. Make it quick and easy for us to pick sides, but please don't make us think critically........(sarcasm).

I don't think Obama is a Muslim, but I do think he bends over backwards to try to appease that portion of the world's population. Most Muslims, especially the ones here in America, probably don't want to see harm come to us, but they need to be the more vocal ones. Like with any group/religion (the Religious Right for example) they who shout the loudest, even if a minority, often are heard the clearest. Sadly, this article just illustrates how poorly informed so many people are in America. That, to me, is one of the most troubling aspects of our country's direction today.

funkdog1 5 years ago

That sounds about right. About one in five Americans are stupid, too.

jaywalker 5 years ago

I think you're being too kind, funkdog!

KUnlv13 5 years ago

1/5 is being pretty generous. Ever go to the DMV and look around? yeesh, the gene pool is depressing

whats_going_on 5 years ago

people are stupid, gullible and dense, thats pretty much all there is to it.

BigAl 5 years ago

Actually mdfraz, I think you and I would AGREE on a number of issues. I pretty well agree with everything you just wrote. I too think Obama bends a little far to appease more than just a few groups of people.

I think you expressed your thoughts extremely well with your post. I have difficulty with my writing skills but I sure do wish there were more civility in our country today.

An issue that we probably wouldn't agree on would be that I think people like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh actually cause harm to our country. I honestly feel that they promote division, hate and fear. I just think their methods are harmful and wrong.

But, again, I appreciate your post. And I do think you might be surprised how much we all agree on things.

purplesage 5 years ago

That he is not a Muslim is increasingly hard to defend. He once stated that he "believe in the redempitve deathof Jesus Christ." That is hardly a Muslim stance. As a concervative Christian, I have defended the President on this point on numerous occasions, though I rarely agree with his politics.

However, as we are sometimes reminded, we need to watch watch politicians do instead of listening to what they say.

What he is is egotistically arrogant, elitist and willing to impose his views on an American public that, for a couple of years, is pretty much helpless to stop him. Don't forget to vote anti-Obama in November and I hope the Republicans field a strong, quality candidate in a couple years.

I saw a great bumper sticker yesterday; a photo of George W. Bush, smiling and waving with the caption, "Are you missing me yet?" Absolutely. Anyone know where I can get one of those?

jonas_opines 5 years ago

"What he is is egotistically arrogant, elitist and willing to impose his views on an American public that, for a couple of years, is pretty much helpless to stop him."

That doesn't sound like either Bush or a certain type of Christian?

Maybe that's because you simply already happened to agree with That set of views?

uncleandyt 5 years ago

Maybe you can order that sticker from the Bush Liberry? What is there to miss? What, Really, is different now? Do we miss not being scared every day by our favorite show-hosts?

Verdad 5 years ago

This poll is exactly why my fear for the United States grows every day.

pizzapete 5 years ago

New poll shows the majority of americans are stupid. Really, is this news?

leapinlemur 5 years ago

May as well be "Poll: Many Americans are ignorant". This is just one of the many questions you can ask Americans to bolster that assertion.

GUMnNUTS 5 years ago

I always think of the far right and their admiration of W when I watch the "double rainbow" video, I laugh so hard it hurts my brain, much like fox "fair and balenced'.

GUMnNUTS 5 years ago

It is so nice to finally here someone admit the truth about fox.

Scott Drummond 5 years ago

Further proof of the liberal media bias we hear so much about.

Faux "News" has been successful in indoctrinating 1/5 of the population. What will happen when they reach 1/3, or eventually 1/2? What will remain of the greatest government framework conceived by our founding fathers and handed down to those of us alive today? What a shameful lack of diligence we have exhibited.

beatrice 5 years ago

Conservatives like their news served in a strictly conservative format. Others who think for themselves don't like their news to be biased. This comes as a surprise to you?

jaywalker 5 years ago

Not biased, perhaps, just pre-sorted and censored, right bea?

beatrice 5 years ago

So scarecrow, what news isn't pre-sorted and censored? How could any station or paper air or print everything and all sides on every subject? They can't. What a silly, silly thing to suggest otherwise.

uncleandyt 5 years ago

What is the average age of the Fox News viewer? Stubborn old fools dismissed!

Scott Drummond 5 years ago

The spoiled and immature don't eat vegetables, or exercise, or learn, or etc.... We see aound us every day the predictable consequences. When 20% of our brethren are so far off track, it is a dangerous thing for the rest of us.

Wise up low info citizens.

thusspokezarathustra 5 years ago

Actually all that proves is the cable provider values advertising on Fox News more than on other networks. It is highly likely the rates could be reversed in other parts of the country. If you really think viewership is the test of "world view" then ABC, CBS & NBC (or the lamestream media) wins hands down. ABC news had 6.85 million viewers on Aug 2nd. How did Fox News compare? 1 million viewers. So using your flawed logic there are 5 times as many people who share the Liberal world view than the Fox world view. More people watch WWE wrestling & Spongebob Sqquarepants (4 million) than Fox News.

thusspokezarathustra 5 years ago

I have no thesis. As is stated above the logic is yours and it is flawed. Please explain your contention that, "The inherent problem for liberals (and Obama) is very few people share their world view. " And the fact that an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll released 8-10-10 found, "just 33 percent have a positive view of the Democratic Party, versus 44 percent who have a negative view. As for the Republican Party, only 24 percent see it positively — the GOP’s lowest-ever rating in the poll — while 46 percent see it negatively. "

Most people have a negative view of the GOP but share it's worldview? Yeah, right.

I

thusspokezarathustra 5 years ago

I did answer your question, here is the answer again since you missed it.

"I have no thesis. As is stated above the logic is yours and it is flawed. "

Trying to get me to answer a question using the logic you presented is actually wasting my time. Are you afraid to defend your own statements about viewership equating to worldview? Conservatives always want others to do their work for them, shameful.

corduroypants 5 years ago

So, what are you advertising? Gold? Crisis gardens? Adult diapers?

uncleandyt 5 years ago

Poll, poll, poll, let's have a poll. 600 ,or so, people who answered their landline responded to some distracting nonsense question, and boom! "Americans support torture, and invasions, and don't want cheaper healthcare, and think that Joey Buttafucco's story is very to somewhat important." Frank Luntz is a tool. We are misled. We're being played. About 30 million of us have pledged allegience to the Liars. It's sad, bad, and dangerous.

jaywalker 5 years ago

New poll question: what would it matter if he were a muslim?

Scott Drummond 5 years ago

Very little to me. Our founding fathers were quite wise in removing religion from the government sphere.

To those seeking to impose their own religious views through control of the government, I suspect it would matter a great deal. This is all about wedge issue politics and the republican/right wingers lust for power, however. Intelligent people can see it for what it is.

Scott Drummond 5 years ago

...stupid enough to blindly believe what the Faux "News" readers tell them they think.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

I'll be glad when we call call him ex-President Soetoro.

beatrice 5 years ago

In the meantime, you will continue to be a sore loser.

Scott Drummond 5 years ago

That'll be a 6 year wait unless you all have someone better than the Quitta from Wasilla.

beatrice 5 years ago

I wonder what percentage of this group still believe Suddam Hussein had something to do with the planning of the attack on 9/11? Or that he had WMDs? 89% maybe?

Scott Drummond 5 years ago

These are the same idiot 20% that stood by bush as he and the rest of the right wingers robbed the country blind. There is no hope for them. All the rest of us can do is wait for them to die off and minimize the likelihood of the constant propaganda being successful in replenishing their ranks.

beatrice 5 years ago

Tom, you know you are nothing but a caricature, don't you?

Mike Ford 5 years ago

Europe must be happy that they let all of the dimwitted peasants and religious genuises go the way of immigration to New England and the criminals to Georgia in the 1730's. Now the smart people here have to deal with this superstitious religious nonsense and how dumb people are distracted by half truths and racism, oh well.

happy superstitious time tom and work on your manners as a customer.

Mike Ford 5 years ago

yeah and your party may be able to finish the destruction it started... like most dumblicans, you're waiting for the teapocolypse of stupendousness...

TopJayhawk 5 years ago

Now we're making fun of Conservatives that only have BS degree.. THAT is bs.
Would you like a list of all the MS, PHD, abd MD's I know that are conservative? And remember. anyone less than about twenty-five yrs of age don't even have fully developed brains yets. The synapse, or the ability for the brain to fully interface with other parts just isn't completely routed yet. Something else to think about. This is why Winston Churchill said: "If you are twenty and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. But if you are forty, and not a conservative, you don't have a brain,"

TopJayhawk 5 years ago

Oh, and baddong, what excactly are your credentials?

TopJayhawk 5 years ago

tuschkahouma It is time for the Obamanator to stand on his own two feet. Time for him to take off the training wheels and accept that he has no clue. Unfortunatly, the only clues he has were learned by his self admitted mentors, all of which were radical, left wing terrorists, Marxists, or full blown communists. Their words, not mine.

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

on no, which invisible man does Obama believe in? who cares? He's a liar and a thief, and if you Christians want to clammer for his support of your particular invisible man theory, then so be it. But I believe that more people are trying to distance their belief from his, thus it's best to call him something despicable like a Muslim, right?

jimmyjms 5 years ago

"Time for him to take off the training wheels and accept that he has no clue. Unfortunatly, the only clues he has were learned by his self admitted mentors, all of which were radical, left wing terrorists, Marxists, or full blown communists. Their words, not mine."

Hmm. The POTUS has had success after success, including stopping a 2nd Great Depression. The previous POTUS had failure after failure, and silence from the peanut gallery.