The Arizona Cardinals are promising to proceed with all caution in their treatment of Larry Fitzgerald’s sprained right knee.
That could mean the four-time Pro Bowl receiver won’t play again this preseason.
Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that while the team will take a conservative approach, he fully expects Fitzgerald to be back for the season opener at St. Louis on Sept. 12.
In other NFL news:
• Brian Westbrook so wants to be part of a winning team that he accepted a backup job across the country with the San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers signed the free agent running back to a one-year deal Monday with a reported $1.25 million guaranteed.
• Dallas Cowboys right tackle Marc Colombo had five loose particles removed from his right knee Monday, a clean-up job that could sideline him for the rest of the preseason.
• The Indianapolis Colts have lost safety Jamie Silva for the season because of a torn ACL, the team announced Monday.
• Detroit Lions linebacker Jordon Dizon will miss the season due to a knee injury.
• Former Buffalo Bills linebacker Aaron Schobel is retiring, saying he lost his hunger for playing last year.
• Houston Texans rookie running back Ben Tate is out for the season because of a fractured ankle.
• Defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer was traded to the Seattle Seahawks.
• Free agent wide receiver Taurus Johnson has signed with the Cleveland Browns.
• Cleveland Browns rookie quarterback Colt McCoy is not practicing because of a minor thumb injury sustained in his NFL exhibition debut.
• Chicago backup quarterback Caleb Hanie sprained his right shoulder and will be sidelined for most of the remainder of the preseason.