Archive for Monday, August 16, 2010

Man reports being victim of armed robbery

A man who was temporarily living at a residence in the 500 block of Eldridge Street reported being the victim of an armed robbery Monday morning. The man did not receive any serious injuries during the incident.

August 16, 2010

A 21-year-old man who was temporarily living at a residence in the 500 block of Eldridge Street reported being the victim of an armed robbery early Monday morning.

Google Map

Reported armed robbery, 530 Eldridge St.

View Reported armed robbery in a larger map

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Damon Thomas, the incident occurred about 1:25 a.m.

The victim told police he had answered a knock at the door of the residence and was greeted by a man with a handgun. The suspect then demanded money and drugs from the victim. Thomas said the man told officers he gave an undetermined amount of cash to the suspect and was then hit with the gun by the suspect.

The victim suffered a minor cut and did not require further medical attention.

The suspect, described as a black man wearing blue jeans and a white shirt, left the scene in an unknown direction.

No arrests have been made in relation to the incident.

Comments

Beakem22 3 years, 7 months ago

lonelyboy 3 years, 8 months ago

This area has turned into a slum ...

HedleyLamarrr 3 years, 8 months ago

How many drug dealers live in Lawrence? It seems like this kind of "robbery" happens with regular frequency.

kubacker 3 years, 8 months ago

Many formerly "nice" neighborhoods in Lawrence have rapidly gone to crap, just like you say. Lawrence is clearly not the same safe, quiet, nice small town it used to be. Crime, and particularly violent crime, is really on the rise here.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 8 months ago

just from reading the ljw, I note that there is a surprisingly high amount of crime/violence on that block!

Oldenuf, perhaps perp did not know victim and went to the wrong door to demand drugs?

I agree with Sigmund, I think most of us have a pretty good idea of the amount of money in our poke at 1;30a.m.

50YearResident 3 years, 8 months ago

If someone rings my doorbell at 1:30 AM I will also have a gun. Who would open their door to a stranger at that time in the AM? Maybe late visitors are a frequent event at that address.....Why would that be?

Snodgrass 3 years, 8 months ago

This sounds like more of Pitts civility. Civility among people seems to be plummeting in the last 19 months.

Sigmund 3 years, 8 months ago

I find it suspicious when the victim hands over a "undetermined amount of cash."

DillonBarnes 3 years, 8 months ago

I probably wouldn't be answering my door at 1:30 in the morning.

garyr 3 years, 8 months ago

4Real 3 years, 8 months ago

Being a former resident of this area, I was relieved to move away recently. The first 5 years of living in this area was fine, but during the past two years I grew increasingly concerned about illegal activity in the neighborhood. With the turnover in renters, the quality of the area went downhill fast. I was tired of seeing cops on the block all too frequently. Daily loitering occuring at numerous residences made me somewhat uncomfortable walking down the street. Perhaps the LPD should take a closer look.

nobody1793 3 years, 8 months ago

I think it is suspicious when you open your door to some guy with a gun at 1:30 in the morning.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 8 months ago

greeted? more like "confronted"

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 8 months ago

I always think it's suspicious when they demand drugs: Why demand it, unless you have prior knowledge that there are drugs present? This isn't random.

grammaddy 3 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like the gaslight gang is at it again. Maybe another one of them will try to rob another credit union.