Archive for Monday, August 16, 2010

Man reports being victim of armed robbery

A man who was temporarily living at a residence in the 500 block of Eldridge Street reported being the victim of an armed robbery Monday morning. The man did not receive any serious injuries during the incident.

August 16, 2010

A 21-year-old man who was temporarily living at a residence in the 500 block of Eldridge Street reported being the victim of an armed robbery early Monday morning.

Google Map

Reported armed robbery, 530 Eldridge St.

View Reported armed robbery in a larger map

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Damon Thomas, the incident occurred about 1:25 a.m.

The victim told police he had answered a knock at the door of the residence and was greeted by a man with a handgun. The suspect then demanded money and drugs from the victim. Thomas said the man told officers he gave an undetermined amount of cash to the suspect and was then hit with the gun by the suspect.

The victim suffered a minor cut and did not require further medical attention.

The suspect, described as a black man wearing blue jeans and a white shirt, left the scene in an unknown direction.

No arrests have been made in relation to the incident.

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like the gaslight gang is at it again. Maybe another one of them will try to rob another credit union.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 4 months ago

I always think it's suspicious when they demand drugs: Why demand it, unless you have prior knowledge that there are drugs present? This isn't random.

pace 4 years, 4 months ago

I find it suspicious when someone is suspicious and implies some victim had to be dirty. In my experience that type of person always is the type of gossip that cares not for truth but for salacious imagining. Low road. They make up things and then insist they are innocent of lying. But they are always lying, often built on half truths but listen to them long enough, give the rope and the lies come out of their mouth.

nobody1793 4 years, 4 months ago

I think it is suspicious when you open your door to some guy with a gun at 1:30 in the morning.

4Real 4 years, 4 months ago

Being a former resident of this area, I was relieved to move away recently. The first 5 years of living in this area was fine, but during the past two years I grew increasingly concerned about illegal activity in the neighborhood. With the turnover in renters, the quality of the area went downhill fast. I was tired of seeing cops on the block all too frequently. Daily loitering occuring at numerous residences made me somewhat uncomfortable walking down the street. Perhaps the LPD should take a closer look.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps the property management company and landlord should take a closer look.

4Real 4 years, 4 months ago

That too kernal, thanks. I have wondered why they don't screen/monitor their renters better.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 4 months ago

If the renter have the money, you better have a good reason to decline there application.

emaw 4 years, 4 months ago

its called a credit check....most of the scum can be weeded out by this simple tactic. And I'm not implying everyone with bad credit is scum. This is just an easy way to turn down unwanted applicants.

Beakem22 4 years, 3 months ago

The Exchange does credit and criminal background checks on all of their residents unlike most communities. Just because three bums decide to retaliate against residents doesn't mean the apartment is at fault.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 4 months ago

I hope the cops don't come to my house; I've been loitering there for years. I had no idea it was a crime.

garyr 4 years, 4 months ago

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

I probably wouldn't be answering my door at 1:30 in the morning.

pizzapete 4 years, 4 months ago

No doubt, I don't even answer the phone after 10 pm.

Sigmund 4 years, 4 months ago

I find it suspicious when the victim hands over a "undetermined amount of cash."

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 4 months ago

Why? I don't think I'd count my cash before handing it over to a gun-toting assailant.

50YearResident 4 years, 4 months ago

If someone rings my doorbell at 1:30 AM I will also have a gun. Who would open their door to a stranger at that time in the AM? Maybe late visitors are a frequent event at that address.....Why would that be?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 4 months ago

The guy demanded drugs and money, and expected the man to be "up" as well. Dude is selling drugs, or at least was believed to be selling drugs by the man with the gun.

Deb Engstrom 4 years, 4 months ago

I seriously doubt that it was a stranger.

David Albertson 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree. Ring my doorbell at 1:30 AM you better believe I'll have a loaded shotgun in my hand.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

just from reading the ljw, I note that there is a surprisingly high amount of crime/violence on that block!

Oldenuf, perhaps perp did not know victim and went to the wrong door to demand drugs?

I agree with Sigmund, I think most of us have a pretty good idea of the amount of money in our poke at 1;30a.m.

Beakem22 4 years, 3 months ago