Archive for Sunday, August 15, 2010

KU students can take jab at fight song lyrics

New words needed after conference realignment; contest will be offered during Homecoming

KU students will have the opportunity to help rewrite the KU fight song after conference realignment moved Nebraska and Colorado from the Big 12. The new lyrics will be revealed during homecoming week.

August 15, 2010

As Kansas University residence halls fill up with students this weekend, the KU Alumni Association is hoping a few of the more creative types will help the organization out.

You see, the Big 12 Conference realignment will raise an issue with the school’s fight song — it needs some new lyrics.

Outgoing conference foe Nebraska is mentioned twice and Colorado is mentioned once in the lyrics to “I’m a Jayhawk.” Nebraska gets a nod in the chorus of the song, “Got a bill that’s big enough to twist the Tiger’s tail. Husk some corn and listen to the Cornhusker’s wail.”

This fall, during homecoming week in October, the KU Alumni Association will conduct a student contest to come up with new lyrics for the song.

Kevin Corbett, KU Alumni Association president, said that hasn’t stopped the suggestions from flowing in already from alumni.

“We haven’t changed it in so long,” he said — since 1958 to be exact, when a reference to the Haskell Indian Nations University Braves was replaced. “The song’s not often sung to begin with. People are concentrating on getting the clapping part right.”

Jennifer Sanner, a senior vice president at the alumni association, said more details on the contest will likely be hammered out in the days to come.

One thing’s for sure, however, she said. Though there may be room to incorporate some new conference opponents, some parts of the song remain sacrosanct.

“I can’t imagine that we’ll mess with ‘I’m a Jay, Jay, Jayhawk,’” she said.

Comments

Orwell 3 years, 8 months ago

Got a legislature that would just as soon we fail; Raise tuition once again and watch us all bail. Cause I'm a Jay, Jay. Jay, Jay, Jayhawk Where the best seats all are for sale.

JimmyJoeBob 3 years, 8 months ago

It is actually "I'm a Jay Jay Jay Jay Jayhawk."

Mark Kostner 3 years, 8 months ago

Put something in about Longhorns and Cowboys that would both refer to the historic cattle drives that made Kansas world famous as well as the nicknames of two Big 12 schools. Something about roping Longhorns and taming Cowboys. Since cattle and cowboys are not images Lawrence likes to cultivate, a creative lyricist could come up with the right level of sarcasm and witticism on the subject. Finally, test the finished product after a few beers at Lawrence bars with some rowdy Jayhawks. After all, it's a fight song, right?

Bladerunner 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes...by all means...keep the stuttering part at the beginning!

Bailey Perkins 3 years, 8 months ago

I've never even heard the 'Fight Song' during games.....why change yet another part of KU's history if it's never/rarely used...

History, lyrics, etc.... http://www.rockchalk.com/john/john/fsong.html

Shardwurm 3 years, 8 months ago

My entry:

"I've got debt the size of a whale, It costs me $1,000 a class if I fail, Enough to make my parents wail."

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 8 months ago

I just checked again this morning. It is still broken. I expect it will never work again.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 8 months ago

I have contacted KU through their email at least three times because the ku.edu site plays all the fight songs simultaneously, and they cannot be separated. Have you ever tried to contact someone from KU and get a response back? Impossible. They don't respond.