800 block of Massachusetts
Emergency crews responded to a fire at 825 Mass. St. Friday just after noon.
The building, which is currently under construction, is the former home of Arensberg Shoes. The 800 block of Massachusetts Street was blocked for about an hour while crews fought the fire, but the street has reopened.
Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical Division Chief Doug Green said crews were still trying to determine a cause for the fire, but said there was an electrical issue in the basement. Fire crews reported smoke coming out of the building along Massachusetts Street, as well as in the basement, Green said.
Crews are now attempting to clear smoke from the building while they check the surrounding area for carbon monoxide.
Green said there were no injuries.
The location was also the site of a natural gas line break on Aug. 3, when a back hoe severed a line on the west side of the building.