Archive for Friday, August 13, 2010

Excessive heat warning extended through Saturday evening

August 13, 2010, 12:00 a.m. Updated August 13, 2010, 3:24 p.m.

Keeping cool in the summer sun

In the auto shop, on the golf course or at the practice field, Lawrence residents embraced any way they could find to keep cool. Enlarge video

Danny Easum wipes his brow in front of a fan at Ace Brake and Steering, 541 Minnesota, on Wednesday, August 11, 2010.

The National Weather Service has extended an excessive heat warning for Douglas County until 8 p.m. Saturday. The warning was originally set to expire Friday evening.

The temperature reached 105 degrees Friday afternoon, making it the hottest day of 2010 thus far and extending the city's triple-digit heat wave to six straight days. 6News Chief Meteorologist Matt Elwell said the last time Lawrence hit 105 degrees was three years ago on August 15, 2007.

A front moving into the area Friday may bring enough cloud cover to help cool things down a little. Storms are also expected to roll through the area Friday afternoon or during the early evening hours.

Despite this week's brutal temperatures, this summer doesn't even compare to some in Lawrence history. Currently this summer is ranking as the 14th hottest statewide since 1890.

According to Mary Knapp, climatologist for the state of Kansas, Lawrence saw over 60 days of 100-degree heat in 1934, making it the hottest summer on record. In August 1934 and again in August 1936 the city recorded its highest temperature ever at 114 degrees.

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't remember heat this bad since the summer of 1980.That was the worst.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey-hey-hey!

Watch that kind of statement, 'global warming' theorists may object.

It has never been this hot, ever; that is the required group-think.

boltzmann 4 years, 4 months ago

No, unlike you, most of them know the difference between weather and climate.

mom_of_three 4 years, 4 months ago

That's what I was thinking, too. I remember that summer, and I think we were hitting 100+ degrees in July.

youngjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh yes, I remember that summer as well. I was pregnant and we lived in a small house with no airconditioning. We scraped together enough money to buy a tiny window unit for our bedroom, and lived in that room for what seemed like weeks; moved the tv in and ate on tv trays. Before the next summer, we put in central air ... LOL! Nasty summer of 1980!

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Three generations of my familiy lived through those earlier and hotter heat waves without air conditioning in KS and OK. Some of them were in their 80's. I'm in awe.

mom_of_three 4 years, 4 months ago

There was an article in the Wichita paper about how we are wussies now compared to folks back then because of air conditioning. But things were different. People worked on at home and could find ways to keep cool. Imagine us office dwellers without A/C or a room full of computers without A/C.
But I would still like to know how they slept.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Either outside or on sleeping porches with wet sheets.

As for the office workers, a retired dentist once told me he had his first dental practice downtown and on hot summer days, they would close in the afternoon when it was too hot. All they had were ceiling fans and any breeze that came through the windows for keeping cool.

Deb Engstrom 4 years, 4 months ago

We didn't have AC growing up in the 1950's and 60's, but we lived in a large 2-story house with an attic fan and large windows that would open all the way to the sash and we kept them all open 24/7 in the summer. A few box fans in the open windows and we did pretty well with lots of big shade trees. Didn't cook at all to heat up the house -- salads and cold food when it was over 90. Also made sure the curtains are closed on the sun side. I still hardly ever use my air conditioner.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

We didn't have AC until the late 60's when the attic fan broke for good. The only time I bake is early in the morning (before 7am) and only when necessary.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

wow, that is Hot! BACK IN MODELING SCHOOL, I was known as Mr. Hot, pretty much because I am handsome, I have a chiseled jaw, I have a six-pack so well defined that sometimes, people try to recycle my stomach. I really am a hot piece. therefore, I propose that we honor this past week with my own name. From now on, the second week in August shall be known as "puddleglum week" Now that makes he happy, and I can share my glee with all you warm and wonderful readers & posters. . . Make sure you wind up your work week tonight with a nice beverage-and if you tip your glass to me, just look up in the northeast corner of the sky shortly after dark and you will see hundreds of "shooting stars" those are actually pellets of sweat, glistening off my hard-working (hair-less) shoulders-as I ride my chariot through the solar system tonight...I must ride to saturn to pick up some more shimmery dust and ice particles for my upcoming birthday party-I'll be back by saturday morning though, so don't despair... Ahhh, just enjoy yourself

kthxbi 4 years, 4 months ago

that post was as beautiful as you are. Thank you.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

I can't help it...I'm guilty ...guilty of being pretty

Practicality 4 years, 4 months ago

I think it is supposed to drop into the 90s tomorrow, I am digging out my winter coat to prepare for this cold front.

filmguru 4 years, 4 months ago

This must be what it's like to live on Arakkis.

Byrne 4 years, 4 months ago

Or spice flowing to keep our spirits up.

On the other hand, I don't think I really want sandworms around. I've seen Tremors, and no thanks.

ooophelia 4 years, 4 months ago

I want to punch this summer in the face.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 4 months ago

NWS, I reject your added days of the heat warning, and the heat itself.

There, problem solved.

verity 4 years, 4 months ago

Not to put a damper on your storm watching, but I read somewhere recently that one should not be on an open porch or shed/carport with open walls when it is lightning. I just checked to make sure this wasn't some myth and on the N O A A website it says "Gazebos, rain or picnic shelters . . . do not provide protection from lightning." I would really hate it if something happened to you.