The city and Kansas University had come to an agreement to allow a rock festival to take place at KU’s Potter Lake, with the city providing police if needed. Unfortunately, the concert was canceled at the eleventh hour because the main act was unable to attend.
A fire in the laundry and storage area of the Avalon Apartments, 901 Avalon Road, caused an estimated $35,000 in damages. The majority of the items stored in the basement locker storage area were destroyed by the fire.
Photographs showed a prairie dog that had taken up residence in a vacant lot near the Gil Holle residence at 502 Liberty Street. The neighborhood children had adopted “Benny” and were bringing him lettuce and scraps of meat.