Archive for Thursday, August 12, 2010

Papa Bob’s BBQ prevails on ‘Man v. Food’

Barbecue sandwich ultimately destroys ‘Man v. Food’ host

August 12, 2010

Bob Caviar, far left, owner of Papa Bob's BBQ in Bonner Springs, watches the Man v. Food episode featuring his restaurant Wednesday night with a crowd of customers and supporters.

— Customers and supporters crowded into Papa Bob’s BBQ restaurant to watch the Bonner Springs restaurant being featured on a national television show.

When images of Bob Caviar, owner of Papa Bob’s, came on screen Wednesday evening, the crowd broke out in applause and cheers.

Adam Richman, host of the Travel Channel’s “Man v. Food,” visited the restaurant May 12 to tape a segment for the show at Papa Bob’s. Richman was there to battle the Ultimate Destroyer Challenge, a 12-inch sandwich, filled with four and half pounds of meat that must be finished within 45 minutes to claim victory.

Whether Richman completed the challenge was kept a secret until Wednesday’s airing.

In the end, Richman was not able to claim victory and Caviar was forced to post a picture of the TV host on Papa Bob’s “Wall of Shame” of people unable to finish the beast of a sandwich.

As the show came to an end and the crowd began to dissipate, Caviar took a seat in a booth and expressed relief that the show finally aired. The process started in January, when Caviar first found out Papa Bob’s was being considered for the show. Caviar said it felt good to see the show air and have the pressure off his shoulders.

But it was the support of his loyal customers that really had him on cloud nine Wednesday night as everyone in the restaurant made their way to his side to offer their congratulations.

“I can’t tell you how happy I am that we were one of the few chosen for the chance to be on a national program,” Caviar said. “Things like this don’t happen every day.”

Comments

nonbeliverofprint 5 years ago

Obviously you don't watch the show often if at all. 40 pound hamburgers, sandwiches piled high, ribs, pork, chicken....they are ALWAYS doing shows on mega meat platters. They are not ALL from KC.

flicker 5 years ago

Also, didn't they say nobody has ever "won" this challenge either? what's the point of showcasing this eating contest if nobody has ever even been able to do it! Usually on this show there's a wall with pics of folks who've met the challenge. Plus, it didn't look very good at all and the hamburgers that were on there looked completely gross. Even Adam commented on how dry it was.

Kash_Encarri 5 years ago

At least they did visit OK Joe's and showed the country what real BBQ is.

So on the show they did one cr@ppy bbq and one real bbq. Could have been worse though, they could have shown Buffalo Bob's instead of Papa Bob's.

Mike Hatch 5 years ago

That's right about Buffalo Bob's. Gross stuff there.

I DVR'd, but haven't watched it all the way thru yet, but I did see the sandwich. That was one big sandwich. I didn't think he'd be able to get all the way thru it in 45".

George_Braziller 5 years ago

I put BBQ in general into the category of nasty. I don't care who makes it, to me it all tastes like something cooked over things pulled out of a trash can.

George_Braziller 5 years ago

I'm a fifth-generation Kansan and have lived in Lawrence for 30 years. I do like BBQ potato chips. Will that spare me the wrath of the crowds wielding pitchforks and torches?

Danielle Brunin 5 years ago

Dr. Hibbert: "Why, I do believe this man has died of meat poisoning."

luv2raft 5 years ago

"Probably from some other restaurant."

beatrice 5 years ago

"a 12-inch sandwich, filled with four and half pounds of meat that must be finished within 45 minutes"

I believe this might be the "moral decay" Cal Thomas should have been looking for.

Mike Hoffmann 5 years ago

I've never heard the word "dry' used so many times to describe a food item on that show. Hey Papa Bob, that's probably not a good thing.