Archive for Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Farm accident kills Linwood man

August 11, 2010

— A 54-year-old rural Linwood man died Monday night in a farming accident.

A family member of David E. Cox called Leavenworth County emergency responders at 10:40 p.m. to his property at 23675 Guthrie Road, which is near the Kansas River and is about 2 miles south of Kansas Highway 32 and 5 miles east of Lawrence.

According to the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s office, a tractor rolled over onto Cox. He died from the injuries in the accident.

Funeral services for Cox are pending and will be announced by Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home.

Comments

ithoughteudorawassmall 3 years, 8 months ago

David and his family have been in my life since before I can remember and he was a great man that had passion for farming, his kid, and his family. He will be missed by so many people! Cox family, my prayers go out to you!

Jeanette Kekahbah 3 years, 8 months ago

So sad. Farmers are overworked, underpaid and very rarely appreciated.

amesn 3 years, 8 months ago

Where at Ron? Goodland is where I was hatched

none2 3 years, 8 months ago

I didn't know the man, but in the past when I was more energetic, I would get bored with just biking or running on the levee. Once I got off at the railroad crossing, I would bike or run down Alexandria Rd. That ends at 238th Rd next to a nice house with a white picket fence. It would then go base a few homes (a really fancy one on the right) and then the road would go 90 degrees left onto Gutherie Rd since 238 dead ended at a farmers drive way. I would then go on to some unincorporated area which was south from 230 Rd & Gutherie Rd. Sometimes I'd go a little north on 230th near where there was some abandoned stone structure... Guthrie Rd stuck in my head because I wondered if the road was named after Woody Gutherie....

Anyway, the whole time I would take such excursions, I was thinking how great it must be to live in the peaceful countryside. (I also grew up in rural Kansas, but was always a townie.) Sometimes it is easy to forget that even in the 21st century the life of the farmer is not an easy life. Unfortunately, you don't see the effort when you are just passing through. There are a lot of hardships that go into putting food on our table, and I for one am thankful that we still have farmers that spend their life in this noble profession... I wish the best for his family in their time of sorrow.

deaton 3 years, 8 months ago

My father died in a tractor rollover accident in Southeast Kansas back in 1975. He was 46 and the safest driver you could imagine. He taught my brother and I all the safety procedures. It takes just a split-second of hitting a rock, ditch, low spot, etc., to turn over. My sincere thoughts and prayers to the family. I share your grief.

Kansas_Supporter 3 years, 8 months ago

My heart sank when I read David's name. I knew him only casually, but found him to be considerate, thoughtful and kind. His passing is a loss to the community of NE Kansas, almost as much as it is to his family and friends. Those of us who knew David are better people because of him. GB.

Charles Crawford 3 years, 8 months ago

AMEN! As a city boy, I've had two friends who were gentlemen farmers. Both were killed when the tractor they were riding turned over.

WBBLover2010 3 years, 8 months ago

His son and I went to school together...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

countrygirl 3 years, 8 months ago

My husband knew him. So very sorry. Thought and prayers to the family.

madman 3 years, 8 months ago

Thoughts and Prayers to this nice family.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 8 months ago

That's a terrible tragedy that happens far to often. People often forget that farming is one of the most dangerous occupations in the world because of the machinery involved.