Archive for Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Farm accident kills Linwood man

August 11, 2010

— A 54-year-old rural Linwood man died Monday night in a farming accident.

A family member of David E. Cox called Leavenworth County emergency responders at 10:40 p.m. to his property at 23675 Guthrie Road, which is near the Kansas River and is about 2 miles south of Kansas Highway 32 and 5 miles east of Lawrence.

According to the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s office, a tractor rolled over onto Cox. He died from the injuries in the accident.

Funeral services for Cox are pending and will be announced by Rumsey-Yost Funeral Home.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

That's a terrible tragedy that happens far to often. People often forget that farming is one of the most dangerous occupations in the world because of the machinery involved.

madman 4 years, 11 months ago

Thoughts and Prayers to this nice family.

countrygirl 4 years, 11 months ago

My husband knew him. So very sorry. Thought and prayers to the family.

WBBLover2010 4 years, 11 months ago

His son and I went to school together...my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Charles Crawford 4 years, 11 months ago

AMEN! As a city boy, I've had two friends who were gentlemen farmers. Both were killed when the tractor they were riding turned over.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

I grew up in a very small farming community in western Kansas where everyone knew everyone else. I don't even want to think about some of the accidents that occurred out there.

It might have been even worse, except for a required 1/2 semester course for all the 8th grade boys: Agricultural Safety.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

One of my classmates in Agricultural Safety class was killed in an overturned bulldozer accident only a few years after high school graduation. I was just sick, he was a really nice guy, as well as a distant relative.

Kansas_Supporter 4 years, 11 months ago

My heart sank when I read David's name. I knew him only casually, but found him to be considerate, thoughtful and kind. His passing is a loss to the community of NE Kansas, almost as much as it is to his family and friends. Those of us who knew David are better people because of him. GB.

deaton 4 years, 11 months ago

My father died in a tractor rollover accident in Southeast Kansas back in 1975. He was 46 and the safest driver you could imagine. He taught my brother and I all the safety procedures. It takes just a split-second of hitting a rock, ditch, low spot, etc., to turn over. My sincere thoughts and prayers to the family. I share your grief.

WTF 4 years, 11 months ago

none2, you inadvertantly would go by David's home everytime you did this. That unincorporated area is called Fall Leaf if you wanted to know, and the road is Alexander, not Alexandria.

amesn 4 years, 11 months ago

Where at Ron? Goodland is where I was hatched

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

St. Francis! I still get back there just about every summer, I'm somehow related to I think about 1/3rd of the town!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

My Mother's father had a ranch and some farmland right by highway 27 at Haigler, so you drove right past it! And, when you got a bit closer to St. Francis, you passed right by some of my Dad's and my Grandad's farmland! So I know that area very, very well!

Jeanette Kekahbah 4 years, 11 months ago

So sad. Farmers are overworked, underpaid and very rarely appreciated.

ithoughteudorawassmall 4 years, 11 months ago

David and his family have been in my life since before I can remember and he was a great man that had passion for farming, his kid, and his family. He will be missed by so many people! Cox family, my prayers go out to you!