Archive for Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Transportation secretary wants to increase Kansas seat belt fine

August 10, 2010

— Kansas Transportation Secretary Deb Miller wants the fine for violating the state's new seat belt law to be increased.

The current fine of $5 is due to double next July. Miller said Tuesday that for the law to be as effective as possible, the fine must be higher. But she did not specify how high she thought the fine should be.

Miller and Gov. Mark Parkinson celebrated the tougher seat belt law during a Topeka news conference. The law took effect May 27 and attracted an additional $11.2 million in federal transportation funds.

The law requires all passengers to wear seat belts, ending an exemption for adults in the back seat.

Also, law enforcement officers can stop motorists just for violating the seat belt law. Previously, officers had to have another reason for a stop, such as speeding.

Comments

Curtis Lange 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree. Make it $50, so with court cost the ticket is at least $100. That'll make most people think twice about not putting their seatbelt on.

gccs14r 4 years, 4 months ago

Make it a moving violation so their insurance rates go up, too, and they'll really take notice. Oh, and any time a minor in a vehicle is found to be not properly restrained, that should warrant an automatic investigation by SRS.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm wondering if maybe the punitive punishment aspect should be reconsidered. For instance, if you were wearing your seatbelt at the time, your speeding ticket would be prosecuted as if you had been going 5 mph slower.

Or maybe, it could be so that in case you are involved in an accident, you get to live.

whatadrag 4 years, 4 months ago

No seatbelt = More likely to need medical attention or die, thereby costing tax payers more

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

You have a $10 million dollar car insurance policy? Amazing! Most people don't.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

No seatbelt = more likely to be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. That can be arranged without a car accident, if that's what you really want.

matix 4 years, 4 months ago

What about riding a motorcycle or a bicycle or any number of other dangerous activities?? Could be argued to be just as dangerous as driving w/out a seatbelt.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

matix - yes, riding a bicycle is dangerous. Because of careless car drivers, it's actually the most dangerous form of transportation, when computed per mile travelled.

But on a bicycle, I am as careful as I can be - I stay on the sidewalk whenever possible, which is most of the time. And, I don't know of anyone else that rides a bicycle at night with two headlights and two flashing taillights.

Whoops! Now you'll recognize me on the sidewalk!

matix 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree with you concerning autos vs bikes. I also ride frequently. My head is constantly on a swivel and I'm always on the defense. But, cars aren't the only hazard. I've hit the pavement after running through potholes twice at a good rate of speed. Also had numerous wrecks on mtb trails with a few injuries including torn rotator cuff, cracked ribs etc. Could have been a lot worse. My risk, my problem.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm to old to go at a good rate of speed any more! And my bones are to fragile to take much of a fall, I'm quite aware of that!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

"It doesnt make you more of an unsafe driver to others to drive without a seat belt."

That point can be argued. After a minor collision, you quite likely won't be in the driver's seat anymore, and no longer have control of the steering wheel and the brakes in order to prevent further collisions.

NASCAR drivers wouldn't ever consider driving without a seat belt, on or off the track. Maybe everyone should learn something from professional drivers.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm survivor. Thanks to seat belts. And I've known of a lot of totally needless deaths and serious injuries. Such as happened last week. More than once in the last week, as a matter of fact. Did you read about the three young sisters?

So it's a touchy subject. I hate to know of people hurt, paralyzed, or killed, just for failing to wear their seat belt. I simply don't understand why an American dies every 13 seconds in a car accident, when it could be cut down to every 45 seconds or so if everyone wore their seatbelt.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

However, I have my own form of insanity. On a motorcycle I have no fear, and never wear a helmet. That's why I don't ride motorcycles.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Hey if you're looking at me, you're pointing the gun in the wrong direction. If I ever do copy and paste, I quote my source. Maybe you're fooled by the fact that I cheat by using a spell check.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Plus my television has not been turned on in months. So you're certainly not talking about me.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Um, according to my spell check, it's pasting.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

About that horrible tragedy last week, a mother and her three young daughters were in a car, and no one was wearing a seat belt. The mother made a very small error in her driving, and as a result of that tragic small error, all four of them were ejected from the car. The three daughters were all killed, and their now childless mother survived to mourn their loss.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

I got all teary eyed writing about those three little girls. Their lives were cut short so young. And for a parent, there's nothing like losing a child, that's for sure. But for this mother, it's three times over at least. She'll never get over it.

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm not sure the mother even knows what's happened yet or not. I saw on 13 news over the weekend that they had the funeral for the 3 girls and the announcer mentioned that the hospital is not releasing updates on the mother's condition.

whatadrag 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure my link has similar or comparable motives to fox...

gccs14r 4 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, no. If you are not held securely in your seat by a restraint device, then you are not in control of your vehicle. It's simple physics. You can either control the vehicle or hold yourself in your seat, but you cannot do both at the same time, especially in an emergency situation when you are subject to unusual forces from unexpected directions.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

"As adults we should have the right to choose to wear seat belts or not."

Explain that to the flight attendent next time you are flying somewhere on a jet.

pooter 4 years, 4 months ago

I had a cousin who was killed by wearing a seat belt and if he hadn't been wearing it he would probably be alive today.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Some form of most of those are already installed in modern American cars. Granted, not to the same NASCAR standards. But, most drivers in the USA don't travel at 200 + mph.

SDTPlant 4 years, 4 months ago

And, what a great way to generate additional revenue for the states and municipalities. Lets keep our eyes open for the seat belt violators. We'll ignore the drive-by shooters, armed robbers, and other gangsters. It's safer and makes us a lot more money.

kansasmutt 4 years, 4 months ago

More laws , more BS to snag your money. Wont be long and we will be fined for not checking our oil daily. If someone wants to ride around without a seatbelt, who gives a rats #ss , let em clean out the gean pool. Shouldnt our state leaders be figuring out how to save money and shrink government , not ways to get deeper in out pockets ? I for one am fed up with the state raising every rate and tax and bilking us out of our money, when will it end ? When we are ALL broke and they come take everything. My cost of living has went up 220% in the last FN year. My earnings have went down 40%. I gave up health insurance due to the cost, i gave up going out, i have given up keeping my house and yard up, Im sick of this shi$ . Do people not see what is happening to us all ?

staff04 4 years, 4 months ago

When I heard about the $5 fine I was kind of embarrassed that the legislature even bothered. It will cost more to enforce than it will ever return in revenue. A $5 fine was obviously just a lip service to get the federal funds--unfortunately those funds were tied to the letter of the law, not the spirit.