Archive for Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Crews demolish Lawrence’s first McDonald’s

A construction worker powers through the walls of McDonald's, 901 W. 23rd Street, Tuesday August 10, 2010. The McDonald's — Lawrence's first — was demolished to make room for a more modern restaurant.

August 10, 2010

City's first McDonalds demolished

Diana Rhodes and Liz Campbell, two women who both worked at the McDonalds on 23rd Street, talk about the 40-year-old restaurant that is being demolished and replaced with a new building. Enlarge video

Construction crews tear down McDonald's, 901 W. 23rd Street, on Tuesday, August 10, 2010. The building was constructed 40 years ago, and was the first McDonald's in Lawrence.

40-year-old McDonalds torn down

The new restaurant, being built right next to the old one, is set to open in late September. Enlarge video

Construction crews demolished the city's first McDonald's on Tuesday morning.

The building, 901 W. 23rd Street, was constructed in 1970. A new building will go up at the same location and is scheduled to open in late September.

Features of the new restaurant will include double drive-through lanes and a larger kitchen, which will allow customers to order breakfast until 11:30 a.m.

Owners Tom and Marilyn Dobski own and operate 12 other McDonald's locations in northeast Kansas.

Comments

cheeseburger 4 years, 4 months ago

Technically, the new building is going up in the area that served as a parking lot for the old restaurant. The new building's parking lot will be where the old restaurant was located.

anonyname 4 years, 4 months ago

Technically, as it is on the same lot and will have the same street address, it's at the same location.

uncleandyt 4 years, 4 months ago

Chemically, they will continue to poison us !

areyouserious 4 years, 4 months ago

Only if you choose to eat there!

"Everybody is waiting on the world to change"

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I miss the old big neon sign at the one in Topeka on Topeka Blvd. Always loved driving by it at night when it was all lit up. I think that sign is now at the museum.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

yeah, that sign was cool! But just like every other DUMB american, some genius made a decision to go with a new, cheaper-built crappy sign. just look at all the lame signage up and down 23rd now... remember the cool spinning bucket of fried chicken with col. sanders chillin' nearby? the Big boy dude chillin' in front of what is now mezcal on Iowa? the Sinclair dinosaur that was on the roof @ 9th & Iowa? The Sandy's restaurant that was well-preserved by Bucky's and still salvageable by Beimer's... Old pizza hut buildings...The taco tico-diamond sign....chaser lights on Dillon's now its just cheap crappy vinyl signs and NO soul.

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Yep, I remember all those but not Col. Sanders for some reason.
And downtown Topeka, there was a place with a sign that had a huge pair of silver eyeglasses on top of the awning or overhang of the business.

I always wanted one of those inflatable Sinclair dinosaurs.

drake 4 years, 4 months ago

Nope. Big Boy's was where the motel parking lot is now. El Mezcal was a Pizza Hut.

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

That's right. I wonder if anything will ever go into the old Pizza Hut on 23rd.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

hey drake, I meant next to mezcal at what is now Johnny I's...isn't that is? you can still see the globe lighting inside there.

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I thought Big Boy was just north of Pizza Hut. Could be wrong...was a kid when it closed up. I kind of remember when it closed up, it was empty for quite a while, but the Big Boy still stood in the window.

hail2oldku 4 years, 4 months ago

nope, it was on the north side. It used to be pizza hut, big boys, motel. now it is el mez, motel, motel.

550rider 4 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence codes no longer allow cool signs. Nothing that moves or changes, could be too distracting. My all time fav was downtown Topeka at the bread store. The slices of bread rotated as if coming out of a loaf. I think this also may be at the KMoH. When I was a kid, there used to be billboards downtown.

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes! It had a clock on it and the end of the loaf always spinning slices of bread. That sign was on top of a drug store on a corner (I think) my parents used to go to, so I saw it often. Saturday mornings, you could smell fresh baked bread for a block or two.

BruceWayne 4 years, 4 months ago

sort of off topic...anyone remember Arthur Treachers? was it on 6th?

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I barely remember it, but remember their sign. If I had a nickle to bet, I'd say it was on 6th or 23rd...leaning more towards 6th. Kind of near where that BBQ place, G's was but on the opposite side (south) of the street?

Hoots 4 years, 4 months ago

Some of the Crappy Signs are due to our City and its restrictive sign ordanance. They make the businesses make them so small it's often hard to see a business until you are right on it or pass it all together. I like being able to see a sign from a block or two in a strange town.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

Anyone know how the employees are compensated during this time?

Kash_Encarri 4 years, 4 months ago

I believe those that want hours have been assigned to one of the other local locations. Those that don't work aren't getting paid.

Verdad 4 years, 4 months ago

I saw one of the women who worked on 23rd street working at 6th st across from Walmart.

jonas_opines 4 years, 4 months ago

The new building looks more like a Megalodonalds.

dajudge 4 years, 4 months ago

Why didn't they build a biggest McDonald's like the one over I-44 down towards Tulsa? It could have gone over the street and been really a fun place to go and eat Big Macs and have breakfast way up till 11:30 a.m., or maybe they could figure out how to cook an egg even later in the day, like, whenever people wake up and get hungry for breakfast.

Hoots 4 years, 4 months ago

Reason #1 I like Sonic. They don't dictate my breakfast cravings.

Scott Kaiser 4 years, 4 months ago

Anybody remember "Griff's Burger Bar"on Iowa at about 6th St. on the east side of Iowa? Also what was the name of the restaraunt on the SE corner of 23rd and Iowa? I'm thinking it was "Moore's" or "MooreBurger." Loved Campus Hideaway and another pizza place up on campus called "Shakespears Pizza." {Sheesh...showing my age...}

Steve Miller 4 years, 4 months ago

I remember a griffs burger bar on 23rd street ?? was there 2 in towen ?

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

I only remember Moore Burger being on the south side of W 6th between Tennessee and Michigan back in the late '60's.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh no! How am I going to return my Redbox movie now!!! Do I have to wait for the new place to be built? This copy of "Couples Retreat" is going to end up costing me a lot of money!!!

errita 4 years, 4 months ago

I hope your not serious. You can return that anywhere in the U.S.

anonyname 4 years, 4 months ago

If only there were more than just the paltry other 15 locations in town....

SCOE 4 years, 4 months ago

Griff"s was on 23rd st. about where Taco John's is located. I believe the Iowa joint was the Burger Hut and was in the Johnny I's location. Moore Burger was located on 6th st. about where Advance Auto is now. There were several different names for the place at theSE corner of 23rd and Iowa but I can only remember Boyd's Chicken.

Hoots 4 years, 4 months ago

Thought Griff's was where Block Buster is now. They tore it down and build a Chinese place. I loved Griif's. Way better than Mc D's It had a cool looking builing as well.

nanimwe 4 years, 4 months ago

I seem to recall the first McDonalds in Lawrence as once being a lot smaller, with no place to sit.

Uhjh 4 years, 4 months ago

Burger Chef was were Jonny I's is located. King's Food Host SE corner 23rd and Iowa.

pooter 4 years, 4 months ago

Never frequent the place.

Now if it were a Popeye's or Church's Chicken...

geekyhost 4 years, 4 months ago

In-N-Out Burger! Well, ok, I'd secretly like a Popeye's, too.

Danimal 4 years, 4 months ago

HEEEELLL YEAH!!! Breakfast until 11:30? Sign me up. Even though I seem to get horrible food poisoning roughly one in every three or four times I eat at McDonald's this is too good to pass up.

slowplay 4 years, 4 months ago

I think it may be the 5 Big Macs you scarfed down rather than food poisoning. And yet, you still go back.

calwt262 4 years, 4 months ago

changing subjects, has anyone seen the new Holiday Inn sign on McDonald Dr.? It is horrible. It looks like someone got ahold of a giant lime green highlighter and scratched an "H" on the board.

lhs79ku83 4 years, 4 months ago

Griff's was on the North side of 23rd at about Ousdahl. Burger Chef was on the East side of Iowa between 6th & 9th.

whats_going_on 4 years, 4 months ago

I'd throw a party, but they are just building a new one next to it, aren't they? Disgusting sh*t.

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

DaddyTopCat: The eatery that you mentioned at the SE corner of 23rd. and Iowa was called The Big Buy; it was Lawrence's first real drive-in, opened in about 1952. Did not have any indoor seating, had a drive-up order speaker similar to something in a drive-in theater. Funny you mentioned Iowa Street; it did not exist then; 23rd went to corner but then you turned south onto US59, the road to the north (now Iowa) was a dirt road that took you up to Daisy Hill to KU's Pioneer Cemetary. Other early one's Chateau Inn at about 18th and Mass. and Blue Hill's at about 23rd. and Harper. I think all the others mentioned in the blogs came later, Griffs on 23rd about 1955, Allen''s on 23rd about 1958; A&W at about 6th and Florida 1n 1956 most were not real drive-inns, but just fast food eateries.

Scott Kaiser 4 years, 4 months ago

Across from A&W was "Dairy King" that was run for awhile by Don Cooper who was a teacher.

billbodiggens 4 years, 4 months ago

Does it seem odd to anyone that a "construction" crew is tearing down McDonalds?

Hoots 4 years, 4 months ago

No, the Demolition Crew is putting the new one up.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

When they build the new one, they should put a Jack in the Box inside it.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Wonder if they still have any kangaroo meat in deep storage that they passed off as hamburger meat on the West Coast a couple of decades ago. Then there was their infamous e-coli incident in the Pacific Northwest. Ate there one time and was soooo sick. If I ever see one going up on Lawrence ....

geekyhost 4 years, 4 months ago

Nothing like a little e-coli death in the morning.

Hoots 4 years, 4 months ago

It's not in a specials district for that. Why would they? Owning a Mc D's is as good as printing your own money.

BruceWayne 4 years, 4 months ago

anyone heard what is going into the old Jade building? I noticed it has sold.

flux 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually its going to be a drive through strip club. Its going to be set up kinda like a car wash. You pay 10.00 pull in and ladies dance behind the glass as you drive through.

Oystermom 4 years, 4 months ago

I hear that someone from Topeka has purchased the property. A multi-Asian restaurant (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese) restaurant will open soon.

RogueThrill 4 years, 4 months ago

hopefully they will serve Pho Ba. I have to drive all the way to 87th and Monrovia in KC to get it now.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

A fat kid inside of me just cried a little bit. I'll never forget you old Mickey D's!!

Ian Legler 4 years, 4 months ago

i'm just glad border bandito is still fighting the good fight.

HW 4 years, 4 months ago

That place is the worst excuse for Mexican food ever. And for the price, it makes it even a bigger joke. I can not believe that place is still in business.

Clickker 4 years, 4 months ago

It gets kind of a "Townie" crowd that really doesnt know better

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

How can you not like Border Bandito? Are you against burritos the size of your head? Do you have a fear of massive amounts of cheese sauce? I got two words for you TACO BAR!!! Don't be a hater.

scopi_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

I've got to go there at least once a month!

agrabass 4 years, 4 months ago

...now I'm hungry, thanks alot you guys.