Archive for Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Crews demolish Lawrence’s first McDonald’s

A construction worker powers through the walls of McDonald's, 901 W. 23rd Street, Tuesday August 10, 2010. The McDonald's — Lawrence's first — was demolished to make room for a more modern restaurant.

August 10, 2010

City's first McDonalds demolished

Diana Rhodes and Liz Campbell, two women who both worked at the McDonalds on 23rd Street, talk about the 40-year-old restaurant that is being demolished and replaced with a new building. Enlarge video

Construction crews tear down McDonald's, 901 W. 23rd Street, on Tuesday, August 10, 2010. The building was constructed 40 years ago, and was the first McDonald's in Lawrence.

40-year-old McDonalds torn down

The new restaurant, being built right next to the old one, is set to open in late September. Enlarge video

Construction crews demolished the city's first McDonald's on Tuesday morning.

The building, 901 W. 23rd Street, was constructed in 1970. A new building will go up at the same location and is scheduled to open in late September.

Features of the new restaurant will include double drive-through lanes and a larger kitchen, which will allow customers to order breakfast until 11:30 a.m.

Owners Tom and Marilyn Dobski own and operate 12 other McDonald's locations in northeast Kansas.

Comments

Thats_messed_up 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope they're paying a living wage.

lol

usernameunknown 3 years, 8 months ago

there needs to be another mcdonalds downtown

agrabass 3 years, 8 months ago

...now I'm hungry, thanks alot you guys.

Ian Legler 3 years, 8 months ago

i'm just glad border bandito is still fighting the good fight.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 8 months ago

A fat kid inside of me just cried a little bit. I'll never forget you old Mickey D's!!

leilei09 3 years, 8 months ago

hello everyone : Since our website http://www.fashionsports.org is being updated, has Bring out more new products, many things are dropping their prices. so please be patient visits, more surprises waiting for you. I wish you a happy shopping.

Oystermom 3 years, 8 months ago

I hear that someone from Topeka has purchased the property. A multi-Asian restaurant (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese) restaurant will open soon.

BruceWayne 3 years, 8 months ago

anyone heard what is going into the old Jade building? I noticed it has sold.

none2 3 years, 8 months ago

Is McDonald's going to add a private tax to pay for all this work?

ljwanonymous 3 years, 8 months ago

Sad they are demolishing it, sadder yet they are building a new one.

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

When they build the new one, they should put a Jack in the Box inside it.

billbodiggens 3 years, 8 months ago

Does it seem odd to anyone that a "construction" crew is tearing down McDonalds?

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

DaddyTopCat: The eatery that you mentioned at the SE corner of 23rd. and Iowa was called The Big Buy; it was Lawrence's first real drive-in, opened in about 1952. Did not have any indoor seating, had a drive-up order speaker similar to something in a drive-in theater. Funny you mentioned Iowa Street; it did not exist then; 23rd went to corner but then you turned south onto US59, the road to the north (now Iowa) was a dirt road that took you up to Daisy Hill to KU's Pioneer Cemetary. Other early one's Chateau Inn at about 18th and Mass. and Blue Hill's at about 23rd. and Harper. I think all the others mentioned in the blogs came later, Griffs on 23rd about 1955, Allen''s on 23rd about 1958; A&W at about 6th and Florida 1n 1956 most were not real drive-inns, but just fast food eateries.

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

I'd throw a party, but they are just building a new one next to it, aren't they? Disgusting sh*t.

lhs79ku83 3 years, 8 months ago

Griff's was on the North side of 23rd at about Ousdahl. Burger Chef was on the East side of Iowa between 6th & 9th.

calwt262 3 years, 8 months ago

changing subjects, has anyone seen the new Holiday Inn sign on McDonald Dr.? It is horrible. It looks like someone got ahold of a giant lime green highlighter and scratched an "H" on the board.

Danimal 3 years, 8 months ago

HEEEELLL YEAH!!! Breakfast until 11:30? Sign me up. Even though I seem to get horrible food poisoning roughly one in every three or four times I eat at McDonald's this is too good to pass up.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

double drive through? bigger kitchen. The poison delivery system is being enhanced. Why not tear them all down? by the way Lindsey, your lead in sentence about construction crews demolishing the building....shouldn't that be deconstruction crews?

pooter 3 years, 8 months ago

Never frequent the place.

Now if it were a Popeye's or Church's Chicken...

Uhjh 3 years, 8 months ago

Burger Chef was were Jonny I's is located. King's Food Host SE corner 23rd and Iowa.

nanimwe 3 years, 8 months ago

I seem to recall the first McDonalds in Lawrence as once being a lot smaller, with no place to sit.

SCOE 3 years, 8 months ago

Griff"s was on 23rd st. about where Taco John's is located. I believe the Iowa joint was the Burger Hut and was in the Johnny I's location. Moore Burger was located on 6th st. about where Advance Auto is now. There were several different names for the place at theSE corner of 23rd and Iowa but I can only remember Boyd's Chicken.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh no! How am I going to return my Redbox movie now!!! Do I have to wait for the new place to be built? This copy of "Couples Retreat" is going to end up costing me a lot of money!!!

Scott Kaiser 3 years, 8 months ago

Anybody remember "Griff's Burger Bar"on Iowa at about 6th St. on the east side of Iowa? Also what was the name of the restaraunt on the SE corner of 23rd and Iowa? I'm thinking it was "Moore's" or "MooreBurger." Loved Campus Hideaway and another pizza place up on campus called "Shakespears Pizza." {Sheesh...showing my age...}

dajudge 3 years, 8 months ago

Why didn't they build a biggest McDonald's like the one over I-44 down towards Tulsa? It could have gone over the street and been really a fun place to go and eat Big Macs and have breakfast way up till 11:30 a.m., or maybe they could figure out how to cook an egg even later in the day, like, whenever people wake up and get hungry for breakfast.

Kontum1972 3 years, 8 months ago

ronald wasnt there....pulling QA

macon47 3 years, 8 months ago

sorry, but i have lived in over 20 yrs, and never spent a dime at that store. screaming ill mannered kids and their fat parents turn me off

jonas_opines 3 years, 8 months ago

The new building looks more like a Megalodonalds.

wpike 3 years, 8 months ago

Breakfast till 11:30 Awesome!

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 8 months ago

High culture in America.

'nuff said.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 8 months ago

Anyone know how the employees are compensated during this time?

scopi_guy 3 years, 8 months ago

I miss the old big neon sign at the one in Topeka on Topeka Blvd. Always loved driving by it at night when it was all lit up. I think that sign is now at the museum.

cheeseburger 3 years, 8 months ago

Technically, the new building is going up in the area that served as a parking lot for the old restaurant. The new building's parking lot will be where the old restaurant was located.