Archive for Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Corliss selects Tarik Khatib as interim Lawrence police chief

Lawrence Police Captain Tarik Khatib was named interim police chief by City Manager David Corliss on Tuesday, August 10, 2010. Khatib will take over when current chief Ron Olin retires on September 1.

August 10, 2010, 9:20 a.m. Updated August 10, 2010, 9:55 a.m.

Lawrence Police Captain Tarik Khatib was named interim police chief by City Manager David Corliss on Tuesday, August 10, 2010. Khatib took over when current chief Ron Olin retired on September 1. The city hopes to hire a new police chief by the end of the year.

Interim police chief chosen to replace Ron Olin

Tarik Khatib will serve as interim chief and has expressed interest in taking over the job altogether. Enlarge video

Capt. Tarik Khatib has worked in virtually every division of the Lawrence Police Department, from patrol officer to investigator to supervisor.

And now the 18-year veteran will try out the department’s top post. City Manager David Corliss on Tuesday announced that Khatib, as of Sept. 1, will be interim police chief when longtime chief Ron Olin retires.

“I’m humbled by the opportunity to do that,” said Khatib, who currently leads the department’s community services division. “And I will continue to be a good steward and make sure the continuity of leadership continues until a selection is made.”

Corliss said he selected Khatib after he met with all six of Olin’s captains to gauge their interest in serving as interim chief. He also cited Khatib’s familiarity with many facets of the department.

“One of the characteristics you always look for in a department head is integrity, honesty and great community skills. Capt. Khatib has those,” Corliss said. “I’m sure that he’s going to be able to demonstrate that to not only myself but to the community in the coming weeks and months.”

Khatib, 43, was born in Beirut, Lebanon, and lived there until moving to Lake Forest, Ill., a Chicago suburb, with his parents when he was 11.

He came to Lawrence to attend Kansas University — his mother’s alma mater — and earned a sociology degree in 1991 just before he was hired as a Lawrence police officer.

“I fell in love with the Lawrence community,” Khatib said. “When I was in school I would pursue community involvement in Lawrence, and I view police work as community involvement.”

He recently trained in leadership, executive development and management of organizations at the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Va. Khatib said he and other officers have learned much from Olin, who started as an officer in 1971 before becoming chief.

“He’s got a saying of always thinking about the community, the department and the officers when you consider matters,” Khatib said.

He said Tuesday that he was interested in being the department’s permanent chief as well.

Corliss said he expects several internal candidates to do well in the selection process, but outside candidates will also be in the mix in the national search.

“The community expects great things from our police department. They expect safety and professionalism. I want to ensure that we find the best candidate,” Corliss said. “I just don’t want to limit it to internal candidates or candidates who might just know about Lawrence regionally, but I would expect interest from across the nation.”

He plans to meet with a number of community members and employees within the department for input. The conversation will include challenges the public wants the department to take on in the future.

“It doesn’t necessarily require somebody from the outside to do that,” Corliss said. “An internal candidate might very well be able to make those changes and to make those improvements, but the main thing we want a new police chief to do is build on the success of Ron Olin’s leadership of the department.”

Corliss hopes to have the new permanent chief in place before the end of the year.

In addition to Khatib, Olin has five other captains. Stephen Zarnowiec, Dan Ward and Paul Fellers are the current patrol captains. Ward recently served a stint in charge of the investigations division.

Mike Pattrick is the current investigations captain. Ray Urbanek, also a former patrol captain, leads the information technology division.

Comments

Amy Heeter 4 years, 4 months ago

Nope it is arabic. http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Tarik.html. But you made me look so two points for that. Moving by night is kinda cool though.

institches 4 years, 4 months ago

This is a wonderful selection. I have the most respect for Tariq. Congrats Mrs. Corliss for making a very good selection.. the best selection in my humble opinion. And Congratulations to Tariq. Well deserved.

institches 4 years, 4 months ago

apparently I am having some spelling trouble.. Tarik... gosh. sorry about that.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 4 months ago

It's the heat coming off the pic the first poster put up.

Victor Dawson 4 years, 4 months ago

Outstanding selection! Tarik is an amazing person, leader, and law enforcement officer.

BigPrune 4 years, 4 months ago

I was going to say something bad about Obama but I figure I'll leave politics out of this discussion.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow! You're not saying anything about the fact that he has a Muslim name? Sure he's not an Al Qaeda plant? What if he wants to build a mosque in Lawrence? /sarcasm (My apologies, Mr. Khatib, for being crass in your name.)

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

BigPrune 4 years, 4 months ago

I guess I should've said something bad about Bush.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

Umm, I would say that he is more than qualified to take the job permanently, ChiHawk. He is a handsome, intelligent man popular with the community. Why does your post sound like you are soothing upset people? Mr. Corliss being made aware that he made a popular decision is a good thing and should bode well for Captain Khatib.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

As long as he is handsome...I am very pretty, but many are not. I am constantly surrounded by less than average looking people (you know who you are) and I look forward to the high-ment of pretty people in law enforcement.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

I have actually had dealings with Capt. Khatib when a family member was the victim of a crime. He was compassionate, thorough and highly capable in his job. In the end the perp was handed a ten year prison sentence. Congratulations, sir. This is well deserved and I hope the city council decides to make it permanent. You are an asset to this city.

sherlock 4 years, 4 months ago

the permanent police chief should be hired from outside and NOT a member of the current regime!

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

Not sure I follow the logic here. What is wrong with advancing through the ranks? It shows others that hard work and dedication can pay off.

Jim Phillips 4 years, 4 months ago

While that is true, hiring from the outside often infuses new ideas into what could become a stagnant entity. There are pros and cons to either side. As long as the best candidate for the job is selected, it really shouldn't matter if the hiring is from the outside or from within.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

now as long as we can either A: start charging a toll for any vehicles entering douglas county from shawnee county

Or

B. start sending a bill to topeka to reimburse all of the douglas county taxpayers who continually foot the bill for our law enforecement arresting Topeka criminals!

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Since the prettiest person in town has brought up the unwanted guests from Shawnee County, every parent in this city should be looking at their kids (especially teens) facebook accounts to see who's listed as a "friend". A lot of kids think it's okay to let everyone on who sends a request. Someone found their teen had some Topeka trash on her Facebook and did not know the persons at all. The gang signs were a big clue. Turned out they, or relatives, had some not so nice resumes.

nekansan 4 years, 4 months ago

Kind of an unfortunate photo. Makes it look like he has massive hands and a Beetlejuice head. Not flattering the way an executive portrait should be.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

the bigger the hands, the easier it is to crush the crimal element!

pagan_idolator 4 years, 4 months ago

I am going to have to agree with you here. Definitely eye candy.

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

Wins on personality alone compared to the departing one!

ronwell_dobbs 4 years, 4 months ago

That is an awesome selection. I went to college with Tarik and watched him interview, be accepted, and train with the Lawrence PD. He is an outstanding person and always cared for all his friends. Plus, assuming the cop drill hasn't beaten it out of him, had a wicked sense of humor.

Great job, Tarik!

igby 4 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if Lincoln, was part Arab, he sure looks like it in all his old photos.

Food_for_Thought 4 years, 4 months ago

The article says he's from Lebanon, making him Lebanese. Calling him an "Arab" is like calling a Brazilian a "Mexican".

igby 4 years, 4 months ago

In the micro you are correct, however in the macro, the entire region and it's history is Greek, Arab or Persian, bloodlines. Being from any of these countries all have three common root bloodlines.

igby 4 years, 4 months ago

Just as in South America, you have the Olmec, Toltec and Later Mayan, then the Aztec's moved in from the North. But all could be of Asian/northeastern blood lines.

Lincoln, also looked Persian somewhat.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 4 months ago

Chief, congratulations on your appointment! It's great to see someone work their way up through the ranks.

@David Corliss: Well Done.

Kontum1972 4 years, 4 months ago

LoL.....! well i guess we dont have too worry about any terrorist attacks now...since we are in the fold. "The Shield" is in place.....

nekansan 4 years, 4 months ago

Looks like the JW updated the photo. MUCH better.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 4 months ago

YOu will be hard pressed to get a entire police department, City administrator and a whole City Council that does not somewhere have corruption; especially in a bedroom community such as Lawrence with so many special interest groups. Olin is leaving smitty : don't worry be happy.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 4 months ago

I guess that depends on how one defines desirable. While I have to agree with you on quite a few issues. I at times have to disagree too. Some of the officers you cite as corrupt are some of the one's that have been most helpful to my family.

I won't argue about Olin because he has said and done way to much over the years to lend question to his motives.

We can go tit for tat about this officer or that officer and I could argue some strong points, but overall it's really just a crap shoot. This isn't Dodge City and even if it were you need to remember Miss Kitty was a whore and Marshal Dillon spent time with her.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 4 months ago

Smitty I know you speak the truth in these matters. At some point though we have to get past it. Have you done anything that you regret? We all have. Making mistakes wether huge or minor is human. It does not a conspiracy make. There are light years between the kiling of G.S. and the YH case.

Lawrencewatchdog 4 years, 4 months ago

I find it rather amusing that (retired) Capt. Dan Affalter was already pimping Tarik Khatib as the interim police chief at Olins retirement press conference before Corliss had made a decision. Simply put, the good ole boys system is running the show at LPD. Hire from outside, bring in new ideas... This department is stagnant and needs a breath of fresh air!!

JJJJJHAWK1 4 years, 4 months ago

Being a former LKPD officer, I must agree with you! That place is overdue for some fresh ideas and leadership from outside the "good ole boy" network!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 4 months ago

Is Corliss gonna call the guy a spear chucker?

Amy Heeter 4 years, 4 months ago

There is no proof Corliss used that term.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 4 months ago

I really hate that I am defending Corliss, but the spear chucker thing is lame. Time to move on.

JoRight 4 years, 4 months ago

He's obviously a terrorist, born from the same roots as Obama. Another terrorist in power. What next?

<sarcasm>