Archive for Monday, August 9, 2010

Showing of documentary film on death penalty planned Aug. 19 at Lawrence Arts Center

August 9, 2010

The ACLU and the Kansas Coalition Against the Death Penalty will host the documentary film “No Tomorrow” at 6 p.m. Aug. 19 at the Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H.

The film highlights issues involved in the national debate about the death penalty. Following the film there will be a question and answer session featuring Eddie Lowery, who was exonerated by DNA evidence after spending 10 years in a Kansas prison for rape.

For more information, call 785-235-2237 or e-mail kcadp@att.net.

Comments

Kat Christian 4 years, 9 months ago

I have a difficult time feeling sympathy for monsters like the man who took Jaycee, for Charles Manson and others like them. I'd sleep better at night knowing these monsters are no longer walking this earth and breathing the same air and me. No film is EVER going to change my belief about the Death Penalty. There needs to be more of these Freaks put to death, I think the law is too pansey on them...hence why we don't feel safe in our homes, why people feel they need security alarms, why we can't allow our children to play outside. Our lawmakers are failing this country. Keep Death Penalty on the books and scratch plea bargains, no appeals for serial murderers.

Rich Noever 4 years, 9 months ago

Run DNA tests on all on Death Row. Then do DNA on anyone who get the death penalty. If it doesn't turn up a match, drop the hammer!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

You have at least one thing in common with serial killers-- bloodlust.

Kat Christian 4 years, 9 months ago

No I don't - it is called justice - an eye for an eye. We put rabbid dogs down and lame horses are shot in the head. It seems cruel, but to me it is putting them out of their misery. Same with these monsters they are in mental hell and the best way to help them is put them down as well, and so they won't hurt anyone else or use up resources to keep them alive when they aren't fit for society.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

"it is called justice - an eye for an eye."

That's not justice, it's revenge.

I have no problem with keeping dangerous people locked away for as long as they are dangerous, but your final solutions aren't any better than those of the deep thinkers that precede you.

grimpeur 4 years, 9 months ago

"...we don't feel safe in our homes, why people feel they need security alarms, why we can't allow our children to play outside. "

Speak for yourself.

You don't feel safe, you need security alarms, you won't let your kids outside. You probably don't go outside, either. No wonder you think it's scary.

You're frightened, hysterical, and irrational. You're senseless as a result. The less attention you pay to what's going on around you, the more you'll continue to feel this way. And it's clear you haven't been paying attention.

Anti-social gets as anti-social does.

Kat Christian 4 years, 9 months ago

I just laugh at this comment....just because I made this comment doesn't mean I live like this, but there are people who do and have great fear. You shouldn't assume. I'm sure you have fears too.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

I am zealously anti-abortion.

But I am also strongly in favor of the death penalty.

Yes, it makes PERFECT sense.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 9 months ago

One is killing an innocent and defenseless life that never even gets a chance.

The other is eliminating a threat to our society; that had a chance, blew it and doesn't diserve another.

If you can't see that, you are blind. Which of course you in particular are...blind to truth and any form of logic or common sense.

BUT if someone brutally murders you; hacks you into little pieces and then proceeds to eat you it is time for their life to be over.

slowplay 4 years, 9 months ago

"No Tomorrow"... I like it. I can see it on billboards. "You kill someone in Kansas... There's no tomorrow."

That said, what in the world does Eddy Lowery have to do with the death penalty? Apparently he spent the $8,000,000 he received for wrongful imprisonment and is working this gig with the ACLU.

skinny 4 years, 9 months ago

If someone is found guilty of murder they should be hung!

EarthaKitt 4 years, 9 months ago

Um, skinny? I think you mean "hanged."

slowplay 4 years, 9 months ago

He could be talking about their "package".

PCC_2013 4 years, 9 months ago

An Eye for eye a tooth for a tooth you kill some one you get the hangmans noose you rape a child or anyone you get put in cell with a guy named buba and hope hes gental

Kat Christian 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't think so. In my younger days there was less rape and murder, not to say it never happened it did but not as it does today because there was the death penalty for rape, murder and kidnapping. How many kidnappings are there these days? Mmmmm? And when they issued the death penality they carried it out in a shorter time then they do now. This housing these monsters in prison for years is outragious So yes this does deter criminal activity of this kind.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

"That is an unfounded statement."

Actually, it's a very well founded statement. There have been numerous studies that show that the death penalty has little if any deterrent effect.

But death penalty proponents quite often confuse deterrence with vengeance.

taylormade 4 years, 9 months ago

No Death penalty will certainly bring out the bad, and open up the doors even more for those still on the fence. Eye for an eye, has worked well so far. Speed up those on death row now and save us real tax payers some money. Kansas has already be too easy on convicts for too long. Drop the hammer! Better yet pay me to do it!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

"Drop the hammer! Better yet pay me to do it!"

I don't want to live next door to you.

Mr_B9 4 years, 9 months ago

Is Michael Moore going to be there too? More liberal propaganda... Go Lawrence, woohooo....

Mike Ford 4 years, 9 months ago

typical kansas... bloodlust for vengeance and yet the state cannot afford to allow a death row inmate proper representation legally as required by the U.S. Constitution. The inmates that re exonerated are usually freed by dna or proving that they had ineffective legal counsel. The bloodthirsty want execution but they're cheapskates through the appeals process. Like many things in Kansas, the law and order dumblican panderers promise vengeance as they did back in 1998 under Karla Stovall but their own legal principles stop them from giving the bloodthirsty what they want. My neighbor in Topeka in the 1990's killed his wife and raped and killed his 14 year old stepdaughter. He pleaded out and got 86 years. Two classmates of my sibling killed a kid and did away with him until evidence was found near Grantville and they were caught. One kid did 6 years and the other is up for parole in 2023. Mrs. Stovall wanted to give them the death penalty back then but settled for a six year and a 25 year term for these two kids. Bloodlust gets votes even if it's never carried out.

igby 4 years, 9 months ago