Archive for Friday, August 6, 2010

Barton County Community College to remove billboard near anti-Obama sign

August 6, 2010

— A community college in western Kansas has decided to take down a promotional billboard because it is too close to a billboard the criticizes President Barack Obama.

Barton County Community College president Carl Heilman told the college's board of trustees Thursday that the college did not want to be associated with a billboard that calls Obama a fraud and demands his resignation.

The two billboards are on Interstate 70 near the college's campus at Fort Riley.

The Great Bend Tribune reports that blogger Ann Barnhardt owns the political sign.

Heilman says the college was unaware that the political billboard would be installed above the college's billboard. The college's sign will come down within a week and a new one will be installed at a different location.

Comments

rockchalk1977 4 years, 4 months ago

Any odds the ACLU will take this one on?

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 4 years, 4 months ago

Why would the ACLU get involved? The anti-Obama people have a right to their sign and the Barton County people have a right to not want their sign associated with something so ridiculous. No one is restricting anybody's speech here.

jonas_opines 4 years, 4 months ago

Okoye rocked in Tecmo Super Bowl. No Lawrence Taylor, but still impressive.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 4 months ago

you know making up a lie and then saying it, makes you only a liar, it does not make it the truth.

The ACLU has nothing to do with this matter because it is not a Constitutional issue.

I wonder why you oppose protecting the Constitution though?

Charlie Dominguez 4 years, 4 months ago

Now that is a good management decision. But I bet my lunch money that their decison to remove the sign will be criticized by those who hate.

I have seen those signs and realize how outrageous and demoralizing they are to the citizenry. But Hate is an easy sell and in the days of accepting Headline News as truth, the far-right (teapartiers) have this kind of "awareness" marketing as a part of their campaign to keep their troops enthused.

UfoPilot 4 years, 4 months ago

Where was the criticism when the vitriol was aimed at Bush?

gatekeeper 4 years, 4 months ago

You righties criticized non stop. That seems to be about all you can do.

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

I dunno, probably coming from people like you? Do you honestly have that short of a memory? There were plenty of people who criticized "bush-bashing".

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 4 months ago

Criticized? There were people who were getting arrested and losing their jobs for Bush-bashing!!!

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

This isn't a free speech issue. An organization which was paying for billboard space decided to remove their billboard. Is there anything in this article calling for the anti-Obama board to come down? I think birthers are morons but you'll never catch me saying they don't have a right to be morons.

Kris_H 4 years, 4 months ago

I seriously doubt if BCCC is a bastion of liberal thought.

Much ado about not much.

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

And yet it's right-wingers in Texas that are trying to turn their state's science and history standards into a laughing stock.

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Granted, we're talking about kiddie-college here. But it would seem that any post-HS educational institution would want to encourage students to at least be aware of differing points of view, not say 'If you don't agree with us, we're just going to close our eyes and ears and leave'.

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

vertigo & Defender;

Yeah, I understand that part, and I'm not totally in disagreement. For instance, if my daughter's Girl Scout troop was marching in a parade that also had a contingent from the KKK, my gut feeling would be to not let her march.

But after thinking about it, I'd probably come to the understanding that pretty much anyone watching the parade can tell the difference between the Brownies and the KKK, and that their presence in the same parade doesn't constitute an endorsement. And I think most people who are old enough to drive a car (or ride in one, for that matter) can understand that two billboards appearing in close proximity do not mean that both advertisers are advocating the same views.

Also, where does this end? If Barton advertises in a newspaper, they don't know where the ad will appear. If it shows up on the same page as a political ad critical of Obama, are they going to pull that ad, too? Do they pull their radio advertising if the ads follow another such critical political ad? Or even keep their advertising dollars out of newspapers and media outlets they think might be leaning too far from their own political views? (Should an educational institution even have political views?)

It's easy to say that they're doing this so they won't be associated with the views expressed on the other billboard. But the whole thing just smells a little too much like an attempt to stifle dissension, since it unquestionable sends the clear message of "If you're going to put up that billboard, we're taking ours elsewhere".

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

I was just looking at the story list, and the headline about the mosque near the ground zero site made me think. Would it be okay if some national chain (say a McDonalds or a big chain store) that had a business nearby to close their doors and move because they didn't want anyone to think they endorsed the mosque being there?

madameX 4 years, 4 months ago

I would think it's their right to move if they want to, and each of us is allowed think what we want about it. My personal opinion is no, it's not "okay" and it might cause me to have second thoughts about doing business with that company, but just becuase I might not like it doesn't meant they wouldn't have the right to do it.

BCCC's decision to move their billboard has in no way affected the other billboard, how is that stifiling dissention? A more apt comparison might be if I'm standing on the street waiting for a ride from a friend and the WBC shows up and starts one of their famous protests of nothing right behind me I might choose to move to the other side of the street to disassociate myself from what I find to be a repugnant message. Am I somehow stifiling their message by walking away from it? I don't think so, and I don't think BCCC is stifiling the message of the other billboard either.

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

"BCCC's decision to move their billboard has in no way affected the other billboard, how is that stifiling dissention?"

Again, it sends a message that says 'If you're going to let them be here, then I'm taking my money and moving out".

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Suppose one billboard was for Coke and one was for Pepsi?

woodscolt 4 years, 4 months ago

good point about the brownies and the kkk but apparently BCCC was not as comfortable with their situation as you are with your scenario. I think it is their choice to make and they made a safe choice.

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

First off, let me say I'm a firm believer in the free market system, and I think almost everyone has the right to spend their advertising dollars any way they want. If you own a business and you're a liberal and you don't want to advertise on a radio station that carries Glen Beck, more power to you. Boycott is a time-honored free market tool.

But at least in theory, educational institutions shouldn't hold to or promote a particular political view, let alone try to stifle opposing viewpoints. There may be a few exceptions, but any exceptions at all are questionable. It's kind of hard for a university, for example, to claim they embrace diversity in cultural and religious views, while at the same time saying they won't do business with Eastern Latvibogovnyastan because they're a theocracy whose women can't vote.

Does Barton have a right to move their sign? Abso-frikkin-lutely. I'm just saying let's call it what it is, a boycott, and then ask the next question (and my original point), which is why is a post-secondary educational institution, which I assume gets public funds, taking a stand on a political statement one way or the other?

Kris_H 4 years, 4 months ago

"A" beacon, not "an" beacon.

What time period are you speaking of and whose idea was "No Child Left Behind" with its emphasis on standardized testing, conformity and teaching to the tests?

gatekeeper 4 years, 4 months ago

She's a right wing freak. She has an am radio show in Salina and she proudly boasts that she "looks forward to pissing people off". Real classy person. Haha. She uses her business site (brokerage firm) to write whacko blogs (so dumb she can't figure out to not mix your business with your personal hatred).

KS 4 years, 4 months ago

Political correctness gone too far.

MarchSadness 4 years, 4 months ago

LJW, would it be too much work to at least put up a picture of the anti-obama ads?

local_support 4 years, 4 months ago

Who needs a picture? It's probably one of those billboards that has about 3000 words in tiny print and full of run on sentences and is impossible to read as you fly down the highway at 70 mph which is too fast anyway I think they should lower the speed limit because its all a conspiracy to consume more gas which helps big oil which fills the coffers of the Reid-Pelosi-Obama socialist trifecta wait big oil is on the other side right damn I'm out of space I should buy another billboard

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

What better location for Ann to place her sign than near Junction City, home of The Big Red One. Does not take much to get the military whipped into a lather about Obama, like a "red flag in front of a bull". With the 1st Division heading back to Riley soon, she'll definitely get her monies worth. I'm all for free speech and anything to break up the monotony of Kansas as you drive along, but we do not need anything to add to the "Dumb Quotient".

Good move on BCCC part in disassociating itself.

bd 4 years, 4 months ago

Ain't freedom of speech grand! Get over it you hypocritical libs! Tea anyone!

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

Way to read the story at the comprehension level of a not very bright 9 year old. Take a look again and tell us where specifically the freedom of speech issue lies. I agree it'd be hypocritical for a liberal who criticized Bush to declare that criticism of Obama shouldn't be allowed, but what does that have to do with this article? The community college didn't want their billboard next to a childish, debunked and baseless xenophobic rant, so they took their own billboard down. Does this article say anything about the anti-Obama billboard being taken down?

jonas_opines 4 years, 4 months ago

Why read when you can make an illusory point and congratulate yourself on your wit, intelligence, and relevant social commentary? After all, if you point out the flaws in reasoning inherent, you're just a dumb lib.

Katara 4 years, 4 months ago

Don't you mean a member of the arrogant hard left? ;)

Joel Hood 4 years, 4 months ago

That stretch of I-70 in Junction City is completely littered with billboards. I saw both of these signs just a few weeks ago. Can't say that I am a fan or detractor for either Obama or BCCC, but I didn't make any connection between the two. Just like I didn't make any connection between these signs and the strip club signs in the same general area.

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

If this is the same style billboard as what I saw just near Junction City on I-70, I can honestly say it made me laugh when I saw it. Mainly because there didn't seem to be a website or any kind of other info for people who saw it and agreed. If you're gonna spend all that money to put something so silly up you might as well try to make sure it at least helps other crazy people find where to go if they agree.

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

Time to break out the paint balloons. Just kidding!! The worst driver abuse from signs is that string of crap East of Columbia, Missouri (to St. Louis) on I-70. MIZZOU till you vomit.

What ever happened to the Highway Beautification Program that (I thought) tied federal highway dollars to compliance. I'm for free speach, but not for ugly.

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

Iam: Enjoyed the pictures; isn't the Dreamland Motel (Room 14 I think) that was Timothy McVeigh's last residence before Oklahoma City.

tolawdjk 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow, I'm stunned that the High School on the Hill advertised.

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

DiD: That picture of The Oread with the 4 (antenna's); are we convinced that they are not disguised smoke stacks from another coal burning power plant. Looks suspicious to me.