Archive for Thursday, August 5, 2010

Biggs accuses Kobach of ‘radical personal agenda’ in campaign letter

August 5, 2010, 1:54 p.m. Updated August 5, 2010, 2:17 p.m.

Secretary of State Chris Biggs says he will point out the “radical personal agenda” of his Republican opponent Kris Kobach during the campaign leading to the Nov. 2 election.

In a campaign fund-raising letter, Biggs, a Democrat, outlined his strategy.

“I am a public servant who has dedicated my career to doing what’s best for Kansas. My opponent is a politician who has dedicated his career to promoting his radical personal agenda,” Biggs said.

Biggs noted Kobach’s work on behalf of Arizona and other cities and states in passing anti illegal immigration laws.

“I am focused on serving as Kansas Secretary of State. My opponent is focused on defending lawsuits in Arizona,” he said.

Kobach, who co-wrote the controversial anti illegal immigration law in Arizona, has said that if elected he will work on his own time to handle appeals in immigration issues that he is involved with in the court system.

Biggs said he will ensure fair, secure and transparent elections and accused Kobach of promoting fear when it comes to elections. Kobach has said election fraud in Kansas is a problem and that he will push for laws that would require voters to show photo ID to vote and proof of citizenship to register to vote.

Biggs even noted their different education backgrounds. “I attended K-State and the University of Kansas. My opponent attended Harvard and Yale,” he said.

Kobach’s campaign manager Ben Davis criticized Biggs’ comments.

“Chris Biggs is the fringe radical,” Davis said because, he said, polls show most people support a requirement of photo ID to vote while Biggs doesn’t.

Davis said Kobach has an ethical responsibility to continue work on the anti illegal immigration litigation that he started. But Davis said that if Kobach is elected he will only work on these issues on his own time, and will not take on any new cases. He said Biggs’ criticism on this issue wasn’t reasonable, saying it would be like criticizing Biggs for playing in a bluegrass band in his spare time.

Davis said pointing out that Kobach went to Harvard and Yale was ridiculous. “Is he going to say this against President Obama,” Davis asked. Obama went to Harvard.

Comments

lucky_guy 4 years, 4 months ago

Biggs is correct in all ways. No defending Kobach, he is all about himself. I doubt that Kobach will spend 10% of his time in the Sec of State's office doing the peoples business. Unfortunately he probably will win since he is on Faux News and all.

Jeff Zamrzla 4 years, 4 months ago

How does playing in a bluegrass band or having any hobby compare one's obsession with immigration litigation? Seems the Kobach crowd watches faux nues too much!

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

"Davis said Kobach has an ethical responsibility to continue work on the anti illegal immigration litigation that he started."

Then he has an ethical responsibility to withdraw from the campaign, since he'll be too busy with his ethical responsibilities to ongoing projects to be distracted by something as mundane as running the office of Sec. of State.

And while the jab about which universities they've attended was a bit gratuitous, I think the point he was trying to make is that Kobach's primary concerns are anywhere but Kansas and doing what should be the fairly low-profile job of Sec. of State.

Kobach is merely looking for any elected office as a platform for his personal agenda, just as Biggs said.

MyName 4 years, 4 months ago

No, Kobach is the one claiming Biggs is a "radical" for wanting to leave the voting system the way it is with regards to photo IDs.

And the guys job is to oversee elections, not get involved with a bunch of wasteful anti-federal crusading. For that look to the Governor or (maybe) the Attorney General. I think we deserve to have someone who will do their job well instead of someone who is resume building while going after whatever the political crusade of the month is.

Truthspeaker 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh come on now. I don't care which guy you support, but you've got to be incredibly myopic not to think that ALL politicians are going after their own political agendas.

Truthspeaker 4 years, 4 months ago

He's a Nazi? Really? The hyperbole on the board astounds me sometimes. Or, were you in fact stating that he is part the National Socialist German Workers Party (Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei) ? Seems odd to me that he is concerned about German Workers, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Horace 4 years, 4 months ago

Who thought Kobach's primary concerns were UCC-1 search logic or coming up with better Articles of Incorporation forms?

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 4 months ago

Biggs isn't accusing Kobach of anything.

He's really just making an observation.

Truthspeaker 4 years, 4 months ago

The fact that he is (humorously, in my opinion) seperating himself as NOT having any sort of personal agenda (clearly a lie), lends a direct accusatory tone to his "observation".

tolawdjk 4 years, 4 months ago

Curious here.

At what point are elected officials expected to "not" have free time? Where is the level of responsibility of the elected position so high that it is expected to be "on" 24/7. I know Presidents are ridiculed for their "downtime" activiites...Bush was lambasted for the time he spent on his ranch. Obama is vilified everytime he goes for his 9-iron. Clinton liked cigars a bit too much.

Yet I don't think anyone is going to scream bloody murder if they see the mayor of Hays on a boat out in the middle of Cedar Bluff, regardless of your political bent.

I don't think the Sec. of State's position is one that is expected to be "on" all the time. That said, I don't think Kobach's hobby is really a hobby to any reasonable person. In fact, it appears to be main money maker that Kris is using to put food on the table. I'm not sure anyone would conisder that a hobby...more of a job or profession.

Personally, I think something will suffer. Kris is pursuing two goals that don't really have downtime. I don't think his personal agenda qualifies are "radical"....I'm not sure how anyone could say wanting to defend your nations borders is radical. I do think some of his methods are misguided and that there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the work effectively.

deec 4 years, 4 months ago

Occasionally :) More like out at Wilson, a much nicer lake!

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

Babboy: Correctomundo about Herr Kobach! Sieg Heil!

wastewatcher 4 years, 4 months ago

Biggs is the one who merits watching very close. He says he is a public servant, but in reality he is one who has been on the public take most of his adult life because he cannot make a real honest living as an attorney. He should also talk about his failed marriages and explain his personal life.

bradh 4 years, 4 months ago

I assume you also think that what Kobach does on his own time isn't our business and this whole article should be dumped, or is it just Biggs personal life that is off limits?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

How many Godwin flags can one thread get?

Rich Lorenzo 4 years, 4 months ago

Again, Mr. Rothschild creating something out of nothing. Its a campaign fundraising letter. Who cares...does Mr. Rothschild have an agenda?

Showing a photo ID prior to voting is reasonable in every way.

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually, just a few talking heads...or spewing mouths...accuse the President (elected by a majority of the voters, I'll remind you) of being 'radical'. The millions are just the sheep that will swallow and regurgitate the nonsense.

I wonder how you'll feel about God's blessing when you realize that she's very disappointed in the ridiculous blathering of the right. Waste of the brains she gave ya.

denak 4 years, 4 months ago

Personally, I want a Secretary of State who is going to fix the deficit that the SOS office is in and who does the job of Secretary of State, not someone who is trying to expand the duties of the office and putting it further in the hole.

For all intent and purposes, the SOS is an administrative position. It is not a law enforcement agency. If Kobach wants to hunt down the big bad aliens, perhaps he should try to become director of KBI.

Dena

wheatridge 4 years, 4 months ago

First tenets out of Biggs's mouth - marginlize your opponent, personal attack, and wrap yourself in alturism. What's next, class envy, oh yeah, covered that one too!

Oh I know, Vote Biggs a whole new breed of politician!

citizen4honor 4 years, 4 months ago

And I quote "Some people golf in their spare time" Kobach said recently, "I defend American Sovereignty"

That's the guy I want on my side. Family Man, mission worker in Uganda, Africa, BS: Harvard, MS & PhD: Oxford, Juris Doctorate: Yale. Eagle Scout, high school valedictorian, national rowing champion, a lifetime of top acheiving and dedication to educating, volunteering and hard work. Does what's right, not what's polically correct. Kris Kobach.

"

kansanjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Kobach will make a great Secretary of State. We have not forgotten the water that Biggs carried for George Tiller in the Attorney General race. He is by no means free of political bias as he claims he is a far out liberal and he needs to prepare to get beat. The only thing that could possibly save him is all the out of state money that is likely to flood into Kansas to defeat Kobach.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 4 months ago

"Kobach will make a great Secretary of State."

Kobach should let all the voters know now who he's going to hire as his top assistant, since we all know they are the one who will be the acting Sec. of State while Kris is busy padding his resume for whatever political office he intends to seek next (unless he takes a job as a talking Foxhead instead.)

kansanjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Remember Biggs took over 200,000$ from George Tiller for his campaign against Kline wow--sounds like bias sounds like a liberal extremist to me-- let's expose all the facts!

kansanjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Biggs is just another liberal politician but look out for all that money coming in from out of state to attack Kobach. It's the only way they can win in conservative Kansas outspend and lie and fool the people. Well this time it is not going to work!