Archive for Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lawrence hits 100 degrees for second straight day; heat warning extended until Wednesday

Ottawa residents Josh Sams, left, and Lexie Sams, right, stayed cool as they tossed their daughter, Abby, 2, between one another in this file photo at Lone Star Lake. The lake, about 12 miles southwest of Lawrence, is owned by the county. The Public Works Department, after a review following two recent drowning deaths, doesn’t plan to seek any major changes to lake regulations.

August 3, 2010, 2:06 a.m. Updated August 3, 2010, 3:26 p.m.

The National Weather Service in Topeka has extended an excessive heat warning for Douglas County until 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Temperatures combined with humidity levels Wednesday afternoon hours will produce a heat index in the 103- to 108-degree range.

Tuesday, the temperature surged into the triple digit mark for the second straight day. Lawrence hit 100 degrees with a heat index of 111 at 3 p.m. Tuesday.

Monday was the hottest day in Lawrence in more than a year with a heat index in excess of 115 degrees. This topped the year’s previous high index of 113 degrees, set July 20. Monday’s high temperature of 101 degrees approached the record high for Aug. 2 — 105 degrees set in 1934.

6News Chief Meteorologist Matt Elwell said despite today's hot weather, we won’t get near the all-time high for Aug. 3 of 109 degrees, set in 1918.

With the heat advisories and extreme heat common this time of year in Kansas, Elwell said it’s possible area residents could lose some vigilance regarding the potentially serious effects of the extreme heat, such as heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

“That’s always a fear,” he said, advising everyone to take simple precautions such as drinking a lot of fluids. “By the time they realize they’re dehydrated, it’s too late.”

The silver lining to the heat? We’ll cool off by Friday, Elwell said, as the forecast high dips to 93 degrees.

Here are a few reminders to help you avoid heat exhaustion or stroke:

• Avoid prolonged or strenuous physical activity.

• Drink plenty of nonalcoholic fluids.

• Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.

• Wearing a hat and using sunscreen will help reduce the possibility of getting sunburned.

Comments

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Why not issue it for tomorrow as well, since the forecast is for even higher temps?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 4 months ago

It's good from Monday through Tuesday night.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

We're all gonna die! (for most of us it probably won't happen between now and Tuesday night)

Stephanie Harris 4 years, 4 months ago

I saw a poor dog in a car sitting outside a store around lunch time today and I called Animal Control. After waiting around for them for like 20 min., I had to leave. I felt terrible. I gave them the plate number of the car, but I wonder what they do if the person has already left by the time they get there? What if the person hasn't come out yet when they get there? Do they open the car? Do they give the owner a ticket? I tried to call Animal Control and there is no answer. Does anyone know?

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

The Humane Society may be able to tell you. If animal control got there before the person left, they would have taken the dog to the shelter.

independant1 4 years, 4 months ago

If you really need to escape the heat? It's nice and cool down at Walmart. Especially the blast at the entrance. Leave the dog at home please.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm a little confused. A week or two ago it didn't get quite this hot yet a "Severe Heat Warning" was issued. I'd think these temperatures would justify one of those.

Matt Elwell 4 years, 4 months ago

Mr_righ_wing - You are right that it wasn't quite as hot as it is right now. There are excessive heat warnings out for the KC Metro, but not currently for Douglas county (that isn't to say that they won't issue one). One difference is that we don't have a 12 day stretch of temperatures in excess of 90°. We also don't have quite as high of dew point temperatures in general across southern Kansas as we did during that stretch. There was an ton of moisture in place from a tropical disturbance at that point. The NWS will issue heat advisories and warnings more on a case-by-case basis. Hope this at least helps.

Matt Elwell 6 NEWS Chief Meteorologist

mr_right_wing 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow...ask a question.... Thanks.

(...and of course NOW it is an excessive heat warning...)

cj123 4 years, 4 months ago

yipee! my air conditioner stopped working today!

mr_right_wing 4 years, 4 months ago

To put it very, very mildly...

BUMMER!!!

Unreal 4 years, 4 months ago

Murphycat, if you ever see an animal in a car on a day like today, or even if it's 85 degrees or warmer, and you can't find the owner, immediately go in the store and have the owner paged (give car make, color and tag to store mgr.). If they don't show up in a couple of minutes, call animal control or the police. Dogs have no way of sweating in a hot car like that and that situation can be lethal within minutes. I personally don't mess around with idiots like that anymore. If I see someone climb out of their car and leave their pet inside on a hot day, I approach them and tell them it's against the law and that if they leave the animal, I will call the police. That normally does the trick. Personally though, if I saw a dog in terrible distress and no one was coming to it's aid (police, animal control or the owner), I would probably break out the window and get the dog out. The price to replace these idiot's window is small compared to the life-threatening situation the dog may be in. Some people are just flat stupid and don't think. When dogs die in hot cars, they literally bake from the inside out. It is a horrific way to die and no animal should have to go through that all because of humans stupidity. It's like all the dingbats who take their dogs out on their boats to the lake in 90 & 100 degree temps. I've seen dogs bake on boats with no breeze, no shade and the owners not letting them cool off in the water. All they seem concerned about is keeping themselves cool in the water and drinking their beer. I'd love to strap these jerks in their hot boat, and make them sit in the burning sun in a fur coat and see how they like it. I've just had it with dumb people and them not thinking where their animal's best interest is concerned. People, it's a no-brainer! If you couldn't survive sitting in a hot car, it's even worse for your pet because they have fur!

Stephanie Harris 4 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the good info and tips, Unreal! I really can't believe the stupidity of some people. Also, just wanted to let you all know what I found out from the Humane Society: I talked with Midge Grinstead (Director at the Humane Society) and she let me know that in Lawrence, it is illegal to leave an animal in the car unattended when the temperature is 80 degrees or higher. In this heat, it can take only 10 minutes for an animal to be in severe distress. Here is what she suggested that I do next time: Contact the police department first. Usually they will dispatch an officer and an Animal Control Officer (ACO). She also mentioned that you can call the Humane Society if Animal Control hasn't responded in 5 minutes. The Humane Society's jurisdiction covers state statutes not city statutes, but she said they will respond. Thanks, Midge!!

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

Keeping thermostat at 78, have the blinds closed where the sun shines in and the fan going. Unless you are ill, disabled, elderly, or work in a hot kitchen, there's no excuse for keeping your thermostat below 76. The power plants are going to be running at max in most states today. Last thing we need is brownouts like we had several years ago. Even unplugged every small appliance I don't need to use and not doing laundry. Figure every little bit each person does will help. Also, if you have a ceiling fan, that will help you feel two degrees cooler.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

---oh the left is so happy to run your life! 76 is far to warm for me and would harm my health. yet the Obama agenda would operate my thermostat for me!

another flaw in Kernel's thinking: Merrill has posted that blackouts are good because they force energy conservation. in fact, he says we should just have scheduled rolling blackouts to force energy conservation.

so apparently in the Merrillverse, blackouts are good.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

BG, I did exclude those who are ill and if 76 would harm your health, then you would fall into that group.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

Unreal, I'm sure with you there!
I'd like to see some special punishment devised for such people!

dogs trust us, and sometimes we don't deserve their trust.

p.s. to my previous comment. liberals b1tch about possibility of brownouts/blackouts, high energy costs. yet they want to put energy providers out of business (Obama), fight against cheap energy for all. Governor Bilious opposed the SW kansas plants in part because they'd export a lot of the juice out of state. stupid! we're all on a grid and all of us would thus have cheaper energy that way.

techmanmacho 4 years, 4 months ago

Darn Global Warming!!!

Oh wait, it's summer.......

blindrabbit 4 years, 4 months ago

It's hot, what do you expect in July and August in Kansas. The use of heat indicies is useful but it creates a psychological problem for us because the index is higher than the actual temperature. In the past, the actual temperature was only offered and true temperatures well above 100F were common; I.e. 1954 and 1980, several days each year near 110F. Air conditioning, the need for weather types to sell their goods and the public's need to complain are all issues contributing to the uncomfortableness. In the 1950-60's era everybody either went to Colorado or Minnesota or gutted it up.

frank regnier 4 years, 4 months ago

I am thankful that there are people like "unreal and murphycat" to help protect animals from human stupidity. I agree with "unreal" and don't wait for animal control. The other day it was 96 degrees and my buddy and I were in Pizza Shuttle eating lunch. A older lady came in and reported that she was getting ready to call HS or police because someone left their little dog in the car. The PS worker asked everyone who owned the car. The owner with her two friends had just starting to eat while the dog was burning up in the car. I watched them fetch the poor little guy and give him water and they all ate outside with the dog. I really wanted to find the older lady and thank her for her life saving action. I know it embarrassed the dog owner but really, when are people going to learn that dogs "don't sweat" to cool! If you own a dog and have to take him along in this weather, take him inside with you! If you can't, leave them at home in the AC. Thanks to all of those who care enough to watch out for these furry little friends.

tubs_of_love 4 years, 4 months ago

No strenuous activity outside huh? Well, guess I can't go to work tomorrow. Or I could just drink some water and go to work, cause this happens every year and yes, I sweat, a lot. I know some people are afraid of sweat. WARNING! YOU MAY SWEAT TODAY! Of course, Lawrence need this warning because, just as any college town, it's a town in which being an alcoholic is A OKAY. My favorite tip: Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids.

However, dogs DO NOT have a choice, so before you blow that smoke in it's face or leave them in a hot car, just remember how you are trying to correct your selfish problem. Thanks to all who keep an eye out!