Archive for Friday, April 30, 2010

Governor running for Senate as independent

April 30, 2010

— Former GOP darling Gov. Charlie Crist defected from the Republican Party on Thursday to run as an independent for U.S. Senate after months of being ripped by conservatives as too supportive of President Barack Obama.

“I don’t have either party helping me. But I need you. I need you more than ever,” the governor said, surrounded by cheering supporters carrying signs that included “Democrats for Crist.”

Crist was the heavy favorite last year, and was even among the Republican names bandied about in the 2012 presidential race. But the primary campaign quickly became a lost cause as the tea party movement embraced another candidate, Marco Rubio, and held up the governor’s literal embrace of Obama last year as evidence that Crist was too liberal.

Crist was mobbed by supporters after the speech. One man shouted, “I love you!” and Crist replied, “I love you more, brother.”

He said he felt liberated. Asked why, he said, “Because I only belong to the people and that’s a wonderful place to be. That’s what it’s all about.”

Comments

Richard Payton 3 years, 11 months ago

Joe Lieberman did this and won. Charlie Crist just might win also. Interesting to see both parties have guys that bolt.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 11 months ago

I can see this happening more and more. Both parties are being run into the ground by the right/left, turning more people into independents. I hope Bloomberg runs for president.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

It'd be nice for the name of the state involved to be in the headline......

Agnostick 3 years, 11 months ago

Well, to his credit, he went rogue before the primary... not after he lost the primary.

References to 2008 notwithstanding, this is still a good book on independent politics, if you can find it:

ivalueamerica 3 years, 11 months ago

Further proof that the GOP is fractured by the mainstream moderates and the extremist neocons and radical fundamentalist Christians. The extremists are confused and think that because they are the most vocal and unified part of the party, that they represtent the interests of the party. They do not unnderstand that they are just a large, loud organized radical fringe.

If the party splits, the left will loose many Dems to the moderate party as well, wich in all honesty would better reflect the nation.

I am not predicting a 3 party system, just thiking how it could play out.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

Just re-read my post....meant to say 'Nation ran by a bunch of egomaniacal (and throw in incompetent for good measure) idiots....'

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

More evidence of weasely politicians, Dem or Repub. Run by a nation of egomaniacal idiots........wonder why things are the way they are?