Archive for Friday, April 30, 2010

Bicyclist injured in South Iowa accident

The 26-year-old man on the bicycle was hit by a 63-year-old woman at 29th and Iowa streets.

April 30, 2010

A 26-year-old Lawrence man riding a bicycle was taken to the hospital Friday morning after he was struck by a vehicle at 29th and Iowa streets.

Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman, said a 63-year-old woman was driving a Honda Pilot east on 29th Street and preparing to turn south onto Iowa.

Lawrence police investigate an accident between an SUV and bicycle Friday, April 30 at 29th and Iowa Streets.

She had stopped at the stop sign, but when she started to turn did not see the man who was riding on the sidewalk with two dogs. The Honda then struck the bicyclist and knocked him down.

He was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. His injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, Murphree said.

The bike is totaled. The dogs were not injured.

Officers cited the Honda driver, who was uninjured, for failing to yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian.

Comments

Evan Ridenour 5 years ago

This is why I always yield even when I have the right of way unless the driver looks me in the eye. The majority of drivers don't ever look both ways for pedistrians when going through crosswalks... sounds like this one actually stopped at a stop sign... that is also unusual.

Hope the cyclist is okay.

pizzapete 5 years ago

Agreed, I've been hit on a bike by a truck at an intersection and nearly run over several times downtown on Mass street walking through those cross walks in the middle of the block. I hope the guy is OK.

JayhawkAlum03 5 years ago

Eride, agreed. I do the same after too many close calls. Have almost been hit myself several times when already directly in front of the car when they got near b/c the driver was too busy looking off to the side to check oncoming traffic to roll through the stop if possible instead of noticing me in front of them, stopping, then looking.

Hope he's okay. That's got to be terrifying.

otto 5 years ago

17-702 RIDING ON SIDEWALKS. It shall be unlawful for any person to ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk within any business district within the City or upon any sidewalk within a distance of 100 feet from any store or business place or place of assembly or where specifically prohibited by posted sign. It shall not be unlawful for police officers or other law enforcement personnel assigned to bicycle patrol units to ride upon sidewalks while in the performance of their official duties. (Ord. 5172, 17-702, Ord. 7557)

Was he operating his bicycle legally?

akuna 5 years ago

A couple of relevant excepts from the Kansas Driving Handbook:

"As an operator of a bicycle, the cyclist is expected to obey all traffic laws and regulations on the streets, roads, and highways of the State. However, whether the bicyclist is operating lawfully or not, give the rider the benefit of the doubt."

"The driver of a vehicle within a business or residential district emerging from an alley, driveway or building, shall stop their vehicle immediately prior to driving onto a sidewalk or onto the sidewalk area extending across any alleyway or driveway, and shall yield the right-of-way."

jhawk0097 5 years ago

Riding on the streets in this town is suicide.

50YearResident 5 years ago

What, Doesn't a car in the street have the right a way from a bycle illegaly riding on the sidewalk with 2 dogs and crossing an intersection in fromt of a car without stopping?

Lacy Mohler 5 years ago

Are they going to ticket the guy? Riding a bike on the sidewalk with two dogs? Wonder how many true pedestrians had to step off the sidewalk to avoid getting run down by him?

50YearResident 5 years ago

A car stopped at a stop sign is not obligated to look at the sidewalk to see if a bicycle is about to run through the intersection without stopping. The bicycle on the sidewalk does not have the right a way unless there is a pedestrian walking light with the 'walk light on'. To my knowledge there is no such light at 29th and Iowa, only on 27th and on 31st intersections.

boltzmann 5 years ago

A car driver is obligated watch where they are going and to make sure that there are no bicyclists, pedestrians or other persons/objects in their path. It is part of being a good driver. It is not necessary for there to be a light at the intersection. There is also a possibility that the car was not signaling the turn - from my experience it is about a 50-50 proposition around here. Given that the driver was cited, it seems that the officer had a different opinion than you - and his/hers actually counts.

50YearResident 5 years ago

I most certainly would have a Judge decide on this one.

citizen0123 5 years ago

this is definatly one for a judge.it sounds like the person on the bike broke the law.just because your on a bike doesnt automaticly give you the right of way.he got hit by a car because he didnt stop

Evan Ridenour 5 years ago

50YearResident, sorry to be blunt but you are wrong.

The law actually states that a pedestrian always has the right of way when crossing at a marked or unmarked crosswalk (which crossing the street at a sidewalk is always going to be a crosswalk... duh) except when the crosswalk is governed by some sort of method to control pedistrian movement (such as a crosswalk light). If there is no pedistrian light then the pedistrian has the right of way, period, if crossing at a crosswalk.

Even though this isn't applicable to this situation, it is another misconception so I will just state it here as well. A pedistrian can cross a street anywhere but if it isn't in a crosswalk (marked or unmarked) the pedistrian must always yield to vehicles.

So in short, the car was in the wrong which is why the driver was ticketed but the cyclist should have used common sense and not trusted the driver to actually care enough to take 1 second to see if they were going to kill someone by proceeding into the intersection.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years ago

"A pedistrian can cross a street anywhere"

ever hear of j-walking?

Evan Ridenour 5 years ago

I don't have time to look it up right now but if I remember correctly from the last time I researched it is that Kansas statute allows local jurisdictions to prohibit crossing a street in a business district or highway (which Lawrence has done with Downtown). Kansas statute however does not primarily restrict a pedistrian from crossing a street without a crosswalk.

Jaywalking is one of those things that is completely different in different jurisdictions. Some ban it, some don't, some allow each local jurisdiction to decide how to handle it, etc.

citizen0123 5 years ago

a person on a bike is NOT a pedestrian.he is opperating a vehicle that is required to follow the same traffic laws as a motor vehicle. if you run a stop sign you will probably get hit. plus,i havent heard anything on this yet,if he had two dogs with him,how was he steering the bike?was he steering with one hand,or were they tied to the bike?hmmm.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years ago

hmmm...

so, a bicylist is a pedestrian... when they choose to ride on the sidewalk... interesting...

any way you look at it... walking/running a dog (let alone two) while riding a bike is not only unsafe... it's stupid...

I hope the guy is okay... glad the dogs didn't get hurt...

stuckinthemiddle 5 years ago

and...

I hope the driver can get the ticket thrown out...

otto 5 years ago

Seems to me like the po po should read the city code.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years ago

and...

if I had a dollar for every time I've witnessed a bicylist stop at a stop sign... I could buy a mcdonalds happy meal... and a six pack... of cheap beer...

broadpaw 5 years ago

Hard to argue with city code law as many commenters have already established. But does that mean that this lady isn't responsible for driving her 4 ton SUV from a stopped position, directly into this guy on the bike? I mean, the law at a stop sign is to fully stop your vehicle and proceed only when the way is clear. She didn't do that. What's the historical precedence here?

broadpaw 5 years ago

Err, actually the Honda Pilot is 2 tons, not 4 as I mistakenly said.

ksjayhawk74 5 years ago

No kidding. As if the law is that you have to look out for pedestrians on the sidewalk, but you can disregard anyone that is on a bike, skates or skateboard. If you hit them, you don't even have to stop because it was totally their fault...

May Soo 5 years ago

I don't think he would got hit if he has stopped his bike.

yankeevet 5 years ago

yes...........after he got hit.........

vilduhellerblogspotcom 5 years ago

i rode past this man and his dogs about 11:10 AM. prior to passing him, i departed the sidewalk as the three of them looked intimidating. hopefully the man and his dogs are alright.

n0mjs 5 years ago

I'm an avid cyclist. I strongly avoid using sidewalks, but sometimes have to for safety reasons. I'd rather risk a citation than be dead -- and as for walkers, I ride into the grass to avoid them, or stop my bike. This academic discussion is all well and good, but at the end of the day, if the LPD is going to start citing cyclists for riding on sidewalks, they'd better be prepared to start citing drivers for not yielding the right of way to cyclists on the road -- which is the root cause of the problem of cyclists on sidewalks. If cars didn't pinch us off the road, honk, yell profanity, proclaim knowledge of our sexual orientation (yes, all of that has happened to me) just for riding where the law says we're supposed to, you'd probably not find us on the sidewalks so much.

citizen0123 5 years ago

when you are stopped at a stop sign,ready to make a turn,do you turn around and look down the sidewalk to see if someone is coming on a bike?i dont think so.and if you did,and you saw someone,wouldnt it be reasonable to expect that that person would obay the law and stop just like the person in the car did?if the man with the dogs on his bike had come to a stop on the corner,it would be all but impossible not to be seen.sounds to me like he just didnt stop.i agree with everyone else when i say i hope he and his dogs are ok.but i think the guy on the bike is the one who was breaking the law.the person in the car should not have to pay.cyclists are required to obay traffic laws too.

gccs14r 5 years ago

Absolutely I look over my shoulder before turning at an intersection. There's no telling what's hiding back there.

remember_username 5 years ago

As a frequent walker I'm pleased to hear that you move over when passing a pedestrian, or stop your bike. Of course, that's kind of a given as the alternative is to hit them isn't it? The problem is that bicyclists often pass me by distances of less than a foot. This can be very disconcerting when from behind as often I am not aware of them until the last moment. This may feel like enough room to the bicyclist but sure doesn't to me.

n0mjs 5 years ago

Yep -- doing that to a walker is just like what the cars like to do with us on the road all too often -- pass you going a lot faster with insufficient clearance!!!

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

It's very, very rude to startle a pedestrian. The best thing to do is slow down to the speed they're walking at, and at a distance of maybe six feet, say, "Excuse me", and then when they turn to look at you pass them rather slowly. Seems most bicyclists don't do that. But then, most are in a hurry, and since I'm older, usually the extra few seconds it takes to be polite does not matter to me.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years ago

I'm thinking that if I was to drive my truck down the street... holding a couple of leashes out the window... walking/running a couple of dogs... I'd be looking to be getting into some trouble with the law...

Evan Ridenour 5 years ago

50YearResident, sorry to be blunt but you are wrong.

If crossing at a crosswalk, If there is no pedistrian light then the pedistrian has the right of way, period.

broadpaw 5 years ago

Thanks for the helpful clarification :)

50YearResident 5 years ago

Only if they are already into the intersection, if not entered they have to yield to a vehicle.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

For some reason, pedestrians always seem to be happy when a car driver actually stops for them, and gives them plenty of room in front of their front bumper. Wonder why.

grimpeur 5 years ago

Good for the officer to cite the driver at the scene. No matter what kind of vehicle you're driving, it's important to make sure that responding officers cite the offending driver, should you have the ill fortune to be struck by one.

Drivers are given far too much lee-way in their habitual bad driving, especially when it comes to their behavior around peds and bikes, crosswalks and sidepaths. We need some downtown crosswalk stings, some stop sign enforcement, and more tickets for inattentive driving. Once we get the bad drivers under control/off the streets in this town, then we can start on the bad cyclists, then the jaywalkers ambling deliberately across the streets.

City code needs to be changed to remove the 100-ft clause. That's just silly.

Jennifer Dropkin 5 years ago

Unbelievable the comments here. A driver is supposed to to stop at a stop sign and look in all directions before proceeding. A stop sign is not a suggestion. Oncoming traffic--whether coming from the road, the sidewalk, walking or riding--needs to be noticed.

I stare down traffic in all directions before crossing because there are too many drivers who think like so many commenters here: that they should be able to drive without looking or thinking.

citizen0123 5 years ago

if the guy on the bike had stopped,in other words,obayed the law himself.he never would have been hit.

jhawks1234 5 years ago

I was at the light on 19th and Kentucky about to turn left onto Kentucky when out of nowhere a cyclist comes flying by on my left side and I nearly ran him over...It's people like that, that give cyclists a bad name

igby 5 years ago

Stupid guy on the bike and stupid for PD to site the driver when the guy on the bike was causing a public safety issue. Having two dogs and being on a bike on the sidewalk states that your not only not in control of the dogs, but you can't control the bike if the dogs pull you into traffic.

A few days ago, saw a cop barreling down Iowa in heavy traffic to a fender bender, sirens and lights blaring and traveling at a high rate of speed. There was already one cop there already at the accident. It appeared no one was injured and all were standing around. But this cops coming like it a murder/robbery, to a fender bender. Lol. They need to get a grip and lay off the drugs! Or coffee!

Boston_Corbett 5 years ago

Under the KLM standard municipal traffic code which Lawrence and most cities adopt, crossing is only jaywalking, and illegal, when crossing a road between two intersections which are both controlled. (i.e. signaled) An open intersection makes it all open game, but the pedestrian must yield, as Eride says.

50YearResident 5 years ago

I don't think that is what Eride said.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

There's a problem with some vehicles in that the A pillar is very wide. That's the pillar between the windshield and the side windows. It's very wide in many vehicles of recent manufacture, and certainly blocks the driver's view in that direction. I wonder if that was a factor in this accident.

I was driving a Ford Explorer that I had just started to drive a few years back, and for sure I stopped at the stop sign and looked both directions before making my turn. The way was clear. As I began my turn, suddenly another vehicle came into view! Actually, it was stopped, and I did have the right of way, but it scared me in that I had not seen it at all, because my view of it was totally blocked by the driver's side A pillar.

Since then I've driven two other vehicles that are the same way - if something is at just the right position relative to your vehicle, you have to move your head to see it. So now, I move my head back and forth at intersections to make sure there's nothing there before proceeding, because of that.

It was an accident, not an intentional, and it's my opinion that the driver of the vehicle is blaming herself faster than anyone posting here. At least no one was seriously hurt.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

But, that being said, if I'm crossing and there's a vehicle preparing to enter a very busy street, I always prefer to cross the street behind the vehicle preparing to turn!

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

If you're going to cross a busy street, best bet is to demount your bicycle and become a pedestrian that just happens to be walking a bicycle, maybe?

lawdog 5 years ago

I don't like to see cyclist riding their bikes with dogs along side. Never know when your dog will 'bolt'....

I'm glad the cyclist wasn't injured as well as his 2 dogs.

lawdog 5 years ago

I'm glad the cyclist wasn't injured as well as his 2 dogs.

ozzynbn 5 years ago

This story has a lot of relevance for me. I can be seen walking my dog 4 or 5 times a day along E 19th St. At least once a week some bicylist, almost always a male, comes speeding by me and my dog almost hitting us. I've yelled to them it's illegal to ride on the side walk. There are bike paths on both sides of the street between Barker and Leonard.

If it's a family going by teaching their children how to ride a bike, I don't mind so much because they are going very slow and it gives me time to get my dog to a safe place. But these speeders going by at 20 or 30 miles per hour are endangering my life and my dog. And Lord help anyone who hurts my dog. Retribution will be swift and severe.

Regarding the guy with the two dogs..... What he was doing was illegal and he should have chosen a different route to run his dogs. I hope he will be issued a citation. He could have been killed as could have the dogs.

I too, ride a bike sometimes. And I do it legally.

jayhawklawrence 5 years ago

I ride on the sidewalks a lot and only on the safest streets.

I meet a lot of people running or riding and some walking briskly for health reasons. Everyone is courteous and smiles. I cannot recall meeting a rude biker or runner as people on this blog mention.

However, if I trusted car drivers to follow the law and to watch out for me when I am riding, I would be dead or seriously wounded within one day of riding.

Part of the joy of riding is probably the adrenalin rush you get when you make it home alive.

independant1 5 years ago

Probably in a hurry, late for a Tea Party

verity 5 years ago

I almost got hit by a bicyclist on Mass. this afternoon around 15th. I didn't hear him until he was almost on me, then I moved to the right to let him pass. I think he was going to pass on the right and didn't expect me to move that way. Fortunately he wasn't going too fast or I probably wouldn't be typing this right now. This problem could be E A S I L Y solved if cyclists would warn pedestrians by calling out "Bicycle passing on left" like they do on the river walk in Tulsa, which is designated for both walkers and bicyclists. I have often walked there with absolutely no problem.

verity 5 years ago

And unfortunately, drivers are often watching for other vehicles and not expecting pedestrians. One of the worst intersections for pedestrians is 11th and Mass. It's bad enough when you're driving because there are no protected left turns, but that also means that drivers are looking to turn quickly as soon as the intersection is clear and may not see a pedestrian crossing the street. I try to avoid that intersection when walking.

repaste 5 years ago

100 feet of the DOOR to the bizz . . . . No doors near there. Simple - drivers must look at sidewalk before they go. It is the same when cars turn right off main road, the bike has the right of way.. I run into this every day often because I am too scared to ride on some streets. Most cars are balls to the wall let me take this call - but some drivers are great! Don't worry walkers - I use my bell and slow to your speed before passing. Keep your dog on a short leash, pick up your horse/dog crap, and please keep those ear buds turned down low - the dogs and the earbuds make the bike bath almost a no go. Often cars waiting to turn will back up to let me go - thank you! Py - bikes on sidewalk are pedestrians - Ozz. I - careful many cyclists carry protection, we get threatened a lot! the bikes are here folks get used to it. the rest lf the world seems to deal with it ,we can to.. It means a little give and take from both sides.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

Oh, it's well covered under the concept of "deep pockets". Here's a clip and paste:

Deep pocket is a concept often used in the law and economics of tort law. It refers to the idea that the risk of an activity should be borne by a person that is in a relatively good position to handle it. This can be achieved by either spreading the risk over a large number of risk-bearers (usually by means of insurance), or by imposing it on a person that is relatively risk-neutral.

ozzynbn 5 years ago

repaste..... just make sure you are NOT riding on a sidewalk near me and my dog. I carry mace now and will use it on anyone who threatens us. I spoke with a police officer tonight about this and he said I have a right to defend myself and concurred that ANY bicycle riding on the streets is illegal. So, knowing I am empowered by his words.... it bodes well for you illegal riders to steer clear. I am serious about this. I am in the right, you are wrong. Change your bad behavior.

pfunk81 5 years ago

The cop said ANY bike on the streets is illegal? Or is it the sidewalk? Where am I allowed to ride so ozzynbn doesn't attack me?

ozzynbn 5 years ago

okay pfunk81, you caught me with a spelling error. I meant sidewalk. You would never be attacked by me or my dog as long as you don't try to run us over. Potential problem solved.

pfunk81 5 years ago

No problem there, although the cop you talked to got it all wrong. Check the second or third post of the thread for the laws. Also, it is not up to you to decide who is illegal or not, so you should keep your threats under your breath, just a suggestion.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

I called the police department a few weeks ago and asked if it is legal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk while intoxicated. He told me yes, that's legal, but there's a problem - you're not allowed to cross any streets!

And he added that it is illegal for anyone to step foot on any street while intoxicated. Sorta makes the "designated driver" concept moot, since you have to set foot on the street to get into the designated driver's automobile.

But, that was just one police officer's opinion.

Todd Hiatt 5 years ago

"ANY bicycle riding on the is illegal."

That is not a correct statement.

Todd Hiatt 5 years ago

"ANY bicycle riding on the sidewalk is illegal."

Don't know why putting that in parentheses did not work, but even correcting to "the sidewalk" does not make that an accurate statement.

Danielle Brunin 5 years ago

My husband drove by this and assumed the bicyclist was killed. The bike was mangled underneath the car. I'm glad no one was seriously injured though, human or canine.

puddleglum 5 years ago

I'm all for biker's rights, but I never ride on the sidewalk, it is way too dangerous and should be illegal. Its like riding a motorcycle on the sidewalk-you are going 15 mph faster than walkers, and intersections are just accidents waiting to happen.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

Wow, that assumes a biking speed of 18 mph. At my age, and with my low geared bicycle, I'm not sure I could do that anymore. But in my younger days, I had a bike with a speedometer, and had no trouble hitting 34 mph on level ground. Never did do that on the sidewalk, though. And I never did get a speeding ticket on my bicycle, either.

puddleglum 5 years ago

you need to pick up the pace, Ron.

gmemusic 5 years ago

If I am not mistaken, there really isn't a 29th Street intersecting Iowa, it's more of an outlet off the frontage road, and the woman would have been waiting there to turn right onto Iowa to go south. The bicylist would have been travelling along Iowa Street and there would be no stop sign for him at that intersection, just as if he were travelling on Iowa Street, so the comments about him needing to obey the law and stop are irrelevant. The woman in the car should have yielded to him and was cited correctly, in my opinion.

Personally, there's no way I would ride on Iowa Street, so I would have opted for the sidewalk as well. If he had been on the street, then people would have griped that he didn't belong there either. For a supposed "bike friendly" town, y'all sure make me feel unwelcome. Some cyclists ride for sport, others for transportation, some obey the laws, others don't, and trust me, that last group ticks me off too, for this exact reason. Any time something happens involving a cyclist, everyone comes out of the woodwork with an anti-cyclist story, convinced it was the "stupid cyclist" at fault. Guess what, it's summertime, so you better be on the lookout, especially with all the "green" concerns, gas prices, the economy, etc. More and more people will be out on bikes, it's just a fact. When I'm on mine I'll do my part to share the road, sidewalk, bike path or trail, and just ask that you do the same.

Oh, and for the walkers that I ride up behind on the paths or sidewalks, I do try to always alert you to my presence by saying "rider back" or "on your left", but many times you can't hear me because you have your earbuds in, cranking your "walking music". I know I've startled quite a few and I apologize, but don't be mad if you couldn't hear me as I approached, I did what I could.

verity 5 years ago

Thank you for warning walkers---but most (hardly any) cyclists do. That really should be part of their education. And, no, I don't even own a pair of earphones or portable music device.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

The basics of being polite don't seem to be part of very many people's education today.

verity 5 years ago

I think the problem is more that people are not taught to think in an objective and rational manner. If they thought about things and the results of their actions, both on themselves and on others, they would watch out for others---and that is what politeness is all about.

rdkone 5 years ago

A large percentage of all drivers are distracted, drunk, on drugs, sleep-deprived, texting, etc. Cyclists need to always assume the worst behavior from drivers because the motor vehicle always wins in a collision with a bicycle. As an avid cyclist I prefer sidewalks because they are further away from dangerous drivers. For recreational cycling I prefer the rails-to-trails such as the Prairie Spirit Trail which is open from Ottawa to Iola. If you prefer complete safety stay inside, lock the doors, and hope the super-volcano in Yellowstone doesn't erupt.

Jennifer Dropkin 5 years ago

You go, gmemusic!

As a pedestrian, I've been buzzed by bicylists who don't let me know they're coming, and they need to let pedestrians know that they are there. Even with my ears clear, I don't hear them.

I never plug myself into anything while I'm walking; it's downright stupid to be listening to music or the news when walking in public: you need to pay attention to your surroundings, and that involves listening as well as looking.

1julie1 5 years ago

From the dictionary:

Pedestrian: Noun. A person traveling on foot; a walker.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

Yeah, and you're a pedistrian if you're off your bicycle and walking it instead of riding it. I'm sure there's no law against walking your bicycle across a street. But it's always a good idea to cross a street behind a vehicle instead of in front of it, is my opinion.

muddfoot55 5 years ago

The "pedestrian" must have missed the 2nd day of kindergarten when they taught..." STOP. LOOK AND LISTEN BEFORE YOU CROSS THE STREET." Most 5&6 yr olds have better sense about crossing streets and riding bikes. Let's face it, walkers and cyclists need to also take some personal responsibility for their own safety. ALWAYS assume that the car hasn't seen you. No, I personally don't believe the pedestrian/cyclist always has the right of way even at a stop/crosswalk. It sounds as if this cyclist blew right into the street with out stop or hesitation. So why is is all on the driver? The cyclist was already engaged in a "bad" act by riding on the sidewalk. and the dogs....the cyclist might as well have been texting, he was distracted.

Lady driver, I hope you get your ticket thrown out. I'd call this a draw, no-fault. Everybody, pay for your own damage and call it a day.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

You seriously believe a pedestrian doesn't have the right of way at a crosswalk? I didn't look it up in my driver's handbook, but I tend to doubt that.

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

"ALWAYS assume that the car hasn't seen you."

Actually that's pretty funny, we sure do anthropomorphize our cars, don't we?

Ron Holzwarth 5 years ago

"Learn from the mistakes of others, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"The smart man learns from his mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others." - anon.