Archive for Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lawrence police seeking young adults caught on video spray-painting downtown buildings

Lawrence Police have released surveillance video of people spraying graffiti in downtown Lawrence.

April 29, 2010

Police are looking for a group of people who were caught on surveillance video spray-painting several downtown Lawrence buildings.

Surveillance cameras in the alley between the 800 block of Massachusetts and New Hampshire streets caught what appears to be a group of teens or young adults in the act.

Lawrence police Sgt. Bill Cory said the graffiti stretches for at least two blocks through downtown.

“There’s a lot on both sides of the alley in the 800 block and then there’s more in the 900 block that all matches together,” Cory said. “There may be more reports that come in later.”

The surveillance video, which was taken after 3 a.m. Wednesday, shows a group of at least four people, including one female. Police estimated the suspect were between the ages of 18 and 25.

“It’s just random damage,” Cory said. “A lot of numbers, hearts and letters. No, it didn’t appear to be any obvious message.”

Cory asked anyone with information on the suspects or the vandalism to call the Lawrence Police Department or the anonymous CrimeStoppers Tips Line at 785-843-TIPS.

Comments

ksjayhawk74 5 years ago

I hope these punks really get nailed. The dumb dumbs don't even realize how easy it is going to be to catch them.

Only one of the kids needs to be identified, then that one has to name the others. Since all the paint matches, it's easy for police to link them to every incident. I do hope that each individual spay paint spot gets counted as a separate charge.

true_patriot 5 years ago

Yeah, kids painting hearts on back alley walls dwarfs all the other problems we have to deal with. Let's really nail them - maybe they can get hard time and we can let rabid online posters waddle out from behind their computer desks and get free shots at them. String 'em up!

ksjayhawk74 5 years ago

Don't exaggerate.

Just because they didn't kill someone or cause oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico doesn't mean they don't need to be punished. They caused damage to several businesses that has to be fixed, which costs local business money.

tomatogrower 5 years ago

And that cost is passed on to the customer.

Boston_Corbett 5 years ago

Hey kids, we know you are reading this.

The first one of you who talks to the police will get off with much less punishment than the others. It pays to snitch. Think about it. Do you really want 1000 hours of community service? Or 25?

true_patriot 5 years ago

You can tell by their clothing and wild aggressive manner in the video that they are dangerous mastermind enemies of the state and need to be dealt with most harshly.

Mike Willoughby 5 years ago

Listen, I own one of the businesses that got vandalized. I have to pay to clean or paint over the mess. No one is advocating for the death penalty here. I would settle for their moms and dads to find out and sell the kids cars, or turn them in and have them do 90 days community service picking up trash in the alleys or something. Believe me the Lawrence police department isn't wasting man hours on graffiti vandals. It's why the cameras were installed in the first place. Because the police haven't done anything about the problem in the past. So just chill out with your anti-anti-establishment attitude. This is vandalism. Even if you wear a gap skirt when you do it. These kids robbed the businesses that have to take care of the mess and they should be disciplined.

ylime3499 5 years ago

seriously if you need help painting over it i'm sure I can get a few people and myself together to volunteer

MerryPresent 5 years ago

I'm a downtown merchant too, and I don't see what all the fuss is about. Buy this: Champion Graffiti and Paint Remover Towels.

They wipe it right off.

Made by ARWM in Dallas Texas

MerryPresent 5 years ago

Er, sold by ARWM in Dallas; ARWM is Arrow Magnolia International, Inc. you can visit www.arrowmagnolia.com

The container says "works on hard non-porous surfaces..." but it still works on wood, cement, bricks, painted surfaces, everything.

The tub dries out between uses, due to the meth. and the butyl. and the amyl acetate, but the fourth ingredient is water. I just add a cup of water every six months, and it's been strong as ever and two tubs have lasted me years and years. I keep one at home and one at the store.

I don't even have to repaint afterwards. I've never even had to add elbow grease. Also, they are great for wiping your hands and arms off with after you've been painting, with latex or oils.

Raider 5 years ago

TP, you have got to be kidding right? Yes these thugs should be dealt with harshly. And furthermore, if they're minors then their parents should be punished too. This is a direct reflection on the poor quality of parenting that has been done. Slap the parents with a huge fine, make them pay to have the damage repaired, and toss the little hoodlums in juvie for the summer.

They're all just trash, and should be dealt with accordingly. If not, they'll end up on the state budget one day.

Kirk Larson 5 years ago

The bit that says "T 'heart'" is obviously a reference to Todd Tiahrt. They must be his PR crew for his Senate campaign.

Keith 5 years ago

T (heart) (squared)? Is this some post modern political advertising for Todd Tiart?

Charley Downey 5 years ago

Actually, I think it's a reference to the dozens of TM2 tags that have been around here for years.

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

no, it's got to be the fault of the spray paint manufacturers. If it weren't available, kids wouldn't use it. Also, it kills 100 Billion Americans every single day in this country!! Ban spray paint!!!!

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Aerosol Terrorism. Be afraid, very afraid.

kantubek 5 years ago

316 is the Wichita area code, could be some college kids reppin' the old hood.

mk9992 5 years ago

HA! That one dude drew a wiener.

pace 5 years ago

Yes, they look wholesome, white, entitled. Let them vandalize without holding them responsible. They can grow up to be enron or just a tea bagger wondering why others should not be held responsible for the actions they themselves committed.

Liberty275 5 years ago

No obvious message... must have been liberals.

Weezy_Jefferson 5 years ago

Perhaps Kris Kobach should apprehend them and question their race---er, I mean, citizenship.

bad_dog 5 years ago

Freedom to vandalize...

Which one of the Bill of Rights is that?

Reuben Turner 5 years ago

get them jokers and give them some punishment.

hbjayhawk 5 years ago

Dear Vandals:

Read the earlier post by Boston_Corbett . . .

If you contact the police and agree to turn yourself in for cleaning up the damage or paying for proper clean-up, you will get a much better deal than being charged with a potential felony vandalism (if more than $5K damage).

A misdemeanor won't ruin your life . . . DO IT . . . NOW!! YOUR BUSTED!!

lllwll 5 years ago

true seems to approve of this type of action.. Maybe the hooded people are known to this poster.

Shootings happen in the alleys, just let the hooded painters do their thing.

nobody1793 5 years ago

Let's catch these kids, drop them off in Topeka in Vice Lord turf with some spray cans, and see how hard they are.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

"Scout Please?" "Shout Peas!"

"shout piece"

"shout Picea Rubens" "shout fish zodiac sign"

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

If they're not stopped now, they may grow up to be pretend architects. Nobody wants that.

true_patriot 5 years ago

@cheeseburger - The only behavior I would classify as misbehavior and/or illegal and/or non- hunky-dorey is a few college kids spray-painting hearts on a back alley in Lawrence, Kansas - the horror of it all! I hope they nail those punks hard and that Cheeseburger gets to be their drill-sergeant - a little community service and a fine ain't good enough fer them - it's a-hangin' time!

Mike Willoughby 5 years ago

Again, let me inform you of how this works. The police, after noticing that I have been "tagged." Come and take pictures of the graffiti then politely hand me a notice that I have 7 days to REMOVE it or I will be ticketed and fined. So I suggest if you are so all for the spray painting of pink puffy hearts on my wall, that you come down and clean it off yourself as a sign of your support to the vandals. You have until next Thursday.

Sharon Aikins 5 years ago

Maybe they can come paint your house for you? If something is illegal, it is illegal. Will never understand people like you who make the judgement on what is acceptable illegal and what is not.

Deja Coffin 5 years ago

I wonder how differently you'd feel if it were your car that was spray painted.

gatekeeper 5 years ago

I had some punks spray paint my fence a while back (many on my block did). So patriot, it's ok for kids to do this, considering I had to buy a power washer, spend a lot of time trying to get the paint off my privacy fence, then rent a sprayer and redo all the staining on the fence. It cost me hundreds of dollars and if I hadn't promptly cleaned it up, I would have been fined by the city.

If these same kids had stolen hundreds of dollars from my purse, would you say that was a crime? They essentially did.

You need a life.

LoveThsLife 5 years ago

speaking of graffiti artists..what the heck is up with that "art" piece in that random field near sunflower elementary school???

kewlb 5 years ago

i do remember a few weeks or more ago this type of thing happened at the new oread hotel, could possibly be the same people,i made mistakes like this and much worse when i was younger and up until i was the mid twenties age and know very well from experiene that the first one to come and fess up to it will not endure the worst of punishment,but it doesnt matter, they will be caught reguardless,the video is pretty damning evidence,also why do people do this type of crap when almost everywhere u go there is a surveilance video cameras,these people are obviously very stupid.the girl is prancing around like shes a child,and doesnt look like the evday criminal,with this type of stuff it only escalates, i know from my own experiences,they are dabbling in something they will sooon regret.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

KewlB: wake up! my post above, it sprang from the "shout peace" that was sprayed on the Oread Inn!
then, a familiar but often thrown off poster posted "shout peace" under a lot of stories, quite vapid, but his mind is obviously blown.

now, have I spoon-fed you enough?

"tout spiel"

"tote steel"

"grout fleece"

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

---yes, under Obama's Amerika such vill not be tolerated ... but they don't resemble tea party participants!

Snap: what a dreaded thought! you suppose they carried Dried Oregano? maybe that's Rusty #2 paint there?
oh the humanity, please do all you can to help these three avoid the fait of becoming pretend arky-teks!

kernal 5 years ago

The video on Channel 6 this morning is really clear. All I got is "Bad girl, bad girl, whatcha gonna do when they come for youuuuu?"

Bet they turn themselves in with an assist from KU Legal Services today. And yes, sense_of_the_common is correct. If someone vandalizes your property with graffiti, you are the one who has to clean it up or pay a fine. Some of the graffiti removal requires a pro and the business owner has to pay for it. It's hard enough for some of them to survive downtown as it is. Give 'em a break, people.

geekin_topekan 5 years ago

316?

Obvious reference to John 3:16 "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. . ." The female terrorist is wearing sandals similar to those that Christ would have worn, had he committed these acts himself.

Christo-extremists have arrived in Lawrence.

jonas_opines 5 years ago

Yeah, I've heard Jesus had mad-grafitti skills, give him a brush and some berry-dye, and he'd paint the temples all day long. "Wherez yur Ceasar now?" and "I am da fisherman of men yo!" that sort of thing.

Worse was that you could scrape them clean or paint over them and they'd be back three days later.

dcnusong 5 years ago

Is that why they sprayed our church sign?

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

The spambot was busy this morning.

BigPrune 5 years ago

If the property owners do not remove the graffitti or paint over it, they will be fined by the City of Lawrence. True.

kernal 5 years ago

What did you have in your coffee this morning, Geekin?

geekin_topekan 5 years ago

Don't tell me you can't read it!

T plus a heart, squared? "T" as in Terror in their hearts to the power of two. The zig-zag is obviously symbolic of a crown of thorns.

Shocking.

jafs 5 years ago

The people who do this should have to bear the costs to the business owner of cleaning it up.

It would be better if they were caught and forced to clean it up themselves, but since that may be unlikely to be within the city's required time period, why not simply fine them the costs of the clean up?

juststrugglin 5 years ago

Wow, the people on here that thinks these are kids having fun amaze me. Would you allow your kids to do this at your house? I raised 2 boys and they know right from wrong. The business owners are the ones who pay. No it is not right, yes the police have other crimes that rank higher on the "bad" list, but that does not mean these young adults should be able to get away with this crap. They should have to pay and do communtiy service and maybe they would gain some respect for others and their properties. (I doubt it!) Yes these are STUPID YOUNG ADULTS.

ylime3499 5 years ago

I'll volunteer to help paint over it! Let me know!

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

See if you had a big cargo net setup above them, you could have nabbed all three at once and handed out some vigilante justice!

whats_going_on 5 years ago

We tried that, but Barry accidentely jumped an old lady who was leaning on the wall for support, ruined her shoes with his green war (craft) paint, and fractured her hip with his Sturmgewehr replica.

bruno2 5 years ago

Graffiti can get out of hand real fast and turn a downtown into a blight. The kids are just that, kids, but they have to learn this way of expressing themselves is not acceptable. Draconian punishments, however, do not fit the crime, and going after the parents, who likely have no idea what they are up to, wouldn't help either. I would suggest that any graffiti artists caught be sentenced to spending their next six months of Saturday nights cleaning graffiti off buildings. This would likely go a long way to curbing this destructive and ugly behavior.

blackdog 5 years ago

It seems bruno2 and juststrugglin make the most sense here.

sweetiepie 5 years ago

I'm imagining going online to read the LJW, browsing around, just reading here or there and BOOM!--there's your kid on video vandalizing downtown. I would almost bet someone had that experience today.

whats_going_on 5 years ago

I think that kid is wearing a North Face coat. Something is wrong with this whole situation.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

You think the Vandals are bad? Wait until the Ostrogoths show up!

Soap 5 years ago

someone needs to call the hip-hop police.. worst "graffiti" i have ever seen.. what a disgrace to the art form..