Archive for Thursday, April 22, 2010

NCAA Tournament set to expand to 68 teams, will be carried on a combo of CBS, TBS, TNT and TruTV

All games will be broadcast live; Self likes new format

Bill Self commented on the expansion, saying it would help the NCAA determine whether it should go to 96 teams later on.

April 22, 2010, 11:36 a.m. Updated April 23, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

— Bill Self and several of his coaching comrades approve of the NCAA’s decision to expand the NCAA Tournament from 65 to 68 teams, starting next season.

“I think expanding to 68 teams is good for our sport. Many people thought it would go to 96 teams, but this will be a good way to see if the tournament needs to move toward 96 teams,” Self, Kansas University’s seventh-year coach, said Thursday after the NCAA announced a 14-year, $10.8 billion deal with CBS and Turner Broadcasting that will begin with an expanded NCAA Tourney in March.

Every game will be broadcast live nationally for the first time in the tournament’s 73-year history. No decision has yet been made on how teams 61 through 68 will be slotted and whether they will be the last eight teams in the field, or the type of squads that occupied the one play-in game the past several years.

“I like the fact that every game will be televised in its entirety. I think that is very good for college basketball," Self said.

Self had said he did not think expanding the tourney to 96 teams was necessarily a good idea.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who was adamant in wanting 96 squads, is OK with 68.

“As a coach, I’d like to see more people get in, but 68 is a good step and the easiest way to have the least amount of turmoil,” Boeheim said. “It’s better than nothing.”

The NCAA had been criticized for all the talk about expanding the field to 96 because of additional missed class time.

“I really was torn myself with what to do, so taking the field to 68 seems like a good step,” said North Carolina coach Roy Williams,. “This will give them time to decide if this is just an intermediate step to a larger event or not. There are so many good teams, and adding three more helps get some of them in the bracket without tarnishing the specialness of the tournament.”

Noted Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski: “With the addition of three more teams to the field, the basic structure of the tournament will not be impacted significantly in the foreseeable future. As a coach, I am very pleased with this result.”

Ninety six teams had been a source of concern for many coaches.

“There is reason to talk about expansion because there’s never been this many good teams as there are now, and parity has never been better at this level than it is now,” Self said.

“Expanding to 96 like there’s been talk about, I don’t see the real benefit of that. If it (expansion) should occur, it should occur to 68 or 72 and maybe have additional play-in type games. I love the tournament the way it is, but I don’t think we should be so shortsighted that it isn’t possible to make it better. It was great at 32, 48 and 54, 65. It’s always gotten better after expansion. I’m just not sure 96 is the answer. For coaches’ job security, that’d be great. As a fan, I don’t know if it’s great for our tournament. I think we should go with what’s best for our tournament.”

In UConn coach Jim Calhoun’s mind, 65 teams was enough.

“There will be more pressure now on teams to make it, but I like the idea of it being special as opposed to not. I’m concerned with messing with something that’s been so good,” Calhoun said.

Big East commissioner John Marinatto said a bigger field isn’t necessarily in the future.

“Everyone says to me it seems like it’s inevitable, but nobody I’ve talked to embraces it,” he said of a 96-team field. “So why is it inevitable?”

This plan now goes to the NCAA Board of Directors next Thursday to approve this plan that is likely to add three more opening-round games — one in each region — to the one that has been played since 2001.

As far as the TV/money portion of this story, the previous TV deal, which gave CBS the broadcast rights for $6 billion over 11 years, would have expired in three years. Both sides had opt-out clauses that had to be exercised by July 31. The NCAAs hope was to create a bidding war and strike a lucrative deal.

CBS Sports won the war, beating out at least an offer from ESPN. What’s new is that CBS will share broadcast rights with Atlanta-based Turner Broadcasting System Inc. and its stable of cable channels — TNT, TBS and truTV — from 2011 through 2024.

The NCAA won, too: The new deal will provide an average of $740 million per year that will returned to conferences and schools.

Comments

Edward Coan 4 years ago

barrypenders (anonymous) says…Here I thought all Big Government training facilities had the opportunity to play in the final 65.

I thought the same about Big Corporations. Corporate giant GE payed no income tax last year. So are you going to blame "big government" on this?

kitnkat 4 years ago

I much prefer this to the 96. 68 teams I can live with, 96? At that point why even have a tournament?

dfgerert 4 years ago

likeefdge this site very much

jordan air max oakland raiders $34--39; Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25; Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25; gstar coogi evisu true jeans $35; coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36; coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18; CA edhardy vests.paul smith shoes $32; jordan dunk af1 max gucci shoes $37; EDhardy gucci ny New Era cap $16; coach okely Adidas CHANEL DG Sunglass $18; ===== http://ww.etradinglife.com==== I like this site very much ===== http://ww.etradinglife.com==== jordan air max oakland raiders $34--39; Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $25; Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $25; gstar coogi evisu true jeans $35; coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36; coogi DG edhardy gucci t-shirts $18; CA edhardy vests.paul smith shoes $32; jordan dunk af1 max gucci shoes $37; EDhardy gucci ny New Era cap $16; coach okely Adidas CHANEL DG Sunglass $18; ===== http://ww.etradinglife.com====

lomhnjkl 4 years ago

likeefdge this site very much

puddleglum 4 years ago

maybe we could have "2nd round loss as a #1 seed" banners hanging in the fieldhouse?

that would rock.

but we still have 5 national championships more than K-state and Missery combined.

distant_voice 4 years ago

Great! Now KU has an entirely new and expanded field of 2nd rate and jr. college teams to lose to in the tournament. How about a nice, fat loss to North Dakota state to start off next year's tournament.

Joe Hyde 4 years ago

I wonder if the various networks that will begin carrying the tournament games will be allowed to impose the same number of intrusive commercial breaks that halt play on the floor. And will the various networks be allowed to synchronize those commercial timeouts to frustrate viewers who try to check on the progress of other games that are underway.

Somehow I think I know the answers: Yes, and Yes.

autie 4 years ago

not sure about that..there is always room for a couple more from the Big Least...

Edward Coan 4 years ago

During the Final Four, NCAA vice president Greg Shaheen talked extensively about plans to go to 96, saying the three-week event would start two days later and eliminate the play-in game. But more games would have been added to Week 2, and that caused concerns about how much class time the athletes would miss.

Bunch of hypocrites. They use that excuse to opt out of a football playoff.

The_Original_Bob 4 years ago

"They'll do anything to include North Carolina..."

I didn't think of that. I guess expanding the Tourney by three teams just means three crappy ACC teams get in. Solid point.

Edward Coan 4 years ago

"More than 95 percent of the governing body’s total revenue comes from the broadcast rights to the men’s basketball tournament."

Um....So they don't want to make more money by having a football playoff system? Doesn't make any sense at all.

CWGOKU 4 years ago

Doesn't matter how many teams they let in, Missouri will still hang a banner in their gym every time they make the tournament. What a joke. I saw too where K-State is selling Elite 8 t-shirts Oh goody. If the NCAA wants to fix something, put a playoff system Division I in football. All the other Divisions do and it works fine. It is time for a true National Champion in football.

autie 4 years ago

that's just two more for me to pick the wrong team....no biggie.

Liberty_One 4 years ago

There's a funny Onion news video where they talk about expanding the field to something like 5000 teams. They were talking about barber schools and trucking schools fielding teams etc.

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Just make the whole season a tournament.

barrypenders 4 years ago

Silly me. I forgot that this is the crowd that doesn't 'Spank' and uses soft 'Pastel' colored crayons to indicate wrong test answer so as to not upset the children.

Stimulus, Pastel PADs, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

Richard Payton 4 years ago

Investigate the NCAA for possible kickbacks for not allowing ESPN to bid?

Agnostick 4 years ago

Oh, and NBA championship right before July 4th!

maxcrabb 4 years ago

They'll do anything to include North Carolina...

Agnostick 4 years ago

Okay, so...

BCS Championship first week of February...

Super Bowl now 2nd week of February...

"March Madness" now becomes "April Anxiety"...

World Series the week before Thanksgiving...

Did I miss anything?

The_Original_Bob 4 years ago

On one hand, who gives a crap about four play-in games? Meaningless.

On the other hand, every game will be televised. Awesome.

Armen Kurdian 4 years ago

OK, I can live with that. Still means 20% of the Div I teams get to the tourney. After about 30 games, I think that's the right choice. I guess we're going to have four play-in games then?

mcontrary 4 years ago

Thank goodnes for CBS, I won't have to listen to Dick Vitale and can enjoy the tournament.

riverdrifter 4 years ago

At least they didn't go to 96 teams as had been speculated. What a stinker that would've been: teams with a .500 record in the post season. Yuck.

UNIKU 4 years ago

Villanova in '85 -- a #8 seed

jonas_opines 4 years ago

1985 - The tournament expands to 64 teams. Villanova shoots 22-28 to defeat Patrick Ewing and defending champion Georgetown in the championship game. The Wildcats remain the lowest seed (#8) to win the championship.

From some internet source or another.

senegal66025 4 years ago

Question- what is the lowest seeded team to win NCAA?