Archive for Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Homeless shelter proposal wins permit approval

Lawrence residents were out in force Tuesday to voice their opinions on the proposed new location for the homeless shelter. The commission was scheduled to vote on whether to issue a special land-use permit for the location in question.

April 21, 2010

Proposed new location for the Lawrence Community Shelter

Efforts to build a new homeless shelter in Lawrence won the largest victory to date — but not a complete victory — just before the stroke of midnight Tuesday.

On a 5-0 vote, Lawrence city commissioners agreed to approve a special use permit for the Lawrence Community Shelter to move to a warehouse building at 3701 Franklin Park Circle near the Douglas County Jail. Commissioners will have the item back on their agenda for a second reading next Tuesday — usually a City Hall formality — but commissioners said they may place several conditions on their approval at that meeting.

But for a night, anyway, Lawrence shelter supporters had gotten further than they ever had before at City Hall.

“There will be places here for families, there will be places here for outside agencies, there will be much greater chances of success here,” Commissioner Aron Cromwell said. “And I think we will be hard-pressed to identify a more isolated location than this one.”

City commissioners heard more than two hours worth of public comment and then struggled among themselves on the proposal, which they said generated more than 300 e-mails from constituents.

Commissioners in a packed City Commission chamber heard stories ranging from formerly homeless people who said the shelter had saved their lives, to concerned business owners near the site who said the values of their property would plummet and undo decades of work.

Commissioners said the issue was excruciating.

“We are all struggling,” Commissioner Lance Johnson said. “I’m struggling up to this very moment on it. I don’t think it is the best site. But what is the best site, and are we ever going to get to the best site?

“I think most people’s problem is the track record. We’re being asked to trust, and let you go forward and prove yourself with a clean slate.”

Shelter leaders said the new shelter would be different in that it would not operate a drop-in center, unlike the current facility at 10th and Kentucky streets.

“There won’t be the people coming and going,” shelter director Loring Henderson said of the proposed facility. “They will always have a reason to be there. They will have something to be doing.”

Property owners near the site brought up a legal issue surrounding covenants that have long been placed on the property. The land owners have suggested the covenants won’t allow for the shelter to be located at the property. Shelter leaders urged commissioners to let that process play out among the two parties.

Ultimately, commissioners took that path, but said that may be an issue they address the issue more next week.

“I think this is a good location,” Commissioner Rob Chestnut said. “But it is clear to me that we’re in reverse order here. There are some contractual obligations here that make it clear that this could stop on a dime.”

Comments

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

and once again our ELECTED officials REFUSE to listen to the voice of the voting public. What a sick joke Mayor Mike and his minions have become. "Build it and they will come..." this will prove to be a huge mistake.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

new sign on the turnpike...Lawrence Kansas Transient Capital of The World.

kernal 4 years, 8 months ago

The fat lady ain't sung yet, folks!

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

Its a shame too see a young couple like that with kids in a homeless shelter.......surely they could find jobs somewhere.

TheBigW 4 years, 8 months ago

Their job last summer was to panhandle work both sides of Mass St. at the same time , the mom & a child on one side with the dad and a child on the other side.

Kevin Randell 4 years, 8 months ago

Bruce....I know how you feel. My issue with homeless shelters is that all it does is enable the problem. I know many of you "hate" religion, BUT put that aside and listen to the point I am trying to make. Jesus had a saying....give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime. I think this whole situation does apply.

I am all for helping those in need. BUT, if we are going to do this, lets go all the way with it. Only allow them to stay there if they agree to a program that will provide them better clothes, and teach them the skills to get a job where they will be able to move out and on their own. During this time they would have to get a job...even if it's at a fast food place. At least they would have some money coming in.

Look, I know my idea is not perfect, and I know there are just some lazy people that want a free hand out. Buy at least this program would help those who really WANT to better themselves, and would make the tax payers feel better about where their money is going.

bruno2 4 years, 8 months ago

OkieHawk, the fish quote is a Chinese proverb, Jesus never said anything of the sort. He did however feed the masses with five loaves of bread and two fishes. It would seem that he was on the other side of the fence than you on this issue.

Triton21 4 years, 8 months ago

I say boycot downtown merchants especially the ones that belong to the downtown merchant association. They are in collusion with the City officials to move this out of downtown. Amyx is one of these merchants, he has a vested interest to not make the best decision for the PEOPLE, he's only leveraging his position to manage his personal priorities, Chesnutt is no better he's only out to try and further his political career. - Think about it..... There are many of us who have invested million of dollars in home purchases in the Prairie Park Subdivision. It shows that the downtown merchants have more pull than the citizens of this town. Don't shop downtown take your money to Kansas City or Topeka or shop online. I hope the lawsuit prevails for the benefit of the families of Prairie Park.

budwhysir 4 years, 8 months ago

Sounds as if the problem may lie in how we are working with these homeless people. Homeless shelters should be a stopping point with rules, regulations, and requirements to stay there. One of these regulations should be the persons obligation to search for employment on a daily basis. No job search, no stay. All forms of panhandling should be illegal spoken or written. If we spent all this time offering these people services that would help them, we wouldnt have so many problems. If Lawrence provides some help to the homeless and they dont want it, they can go stay in the next town.

friendlyjhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

You are welcome to put the Homeless shelter right next door to my house in west Lawrence. It would be better then the neighbors who have the cops out weekly for domestic violence acts and their teenagers with loud cars and music at all hours of the day. Where you live doesn't make you any classier then the people you are trying to keep out.

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

Lets open a soilent green factory to stimulate jobs and good eats!

ksarmychick 4 years, 8 months ago

You can't "find" a job if your not looking.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

they will still come downtown to panhandle, murder, attack and steal.Time the voters speak up.IMPEACH AMYX NOW!

januarygirl 4 years, 8 months ago

informed!!! collectivly there have been millions invested in the homes of PRAIRIE PARK AREA , ITS A NICE AREA. I THINK THAT THE PEOPLE IN THIS AREA DESERVE MORE RESPECT THAN THAT . I FEEL THAT THE PROPERTY VALUES WILL HOLD . I DON'T, HOWEVER, FEEL THAT ITS THE BEST LOCATION FOR THE SHELTER FOR REASONS STATED OVER AND OVER. I'M ASTONISHED BY THIS NEWS TODAY. THE PUBLIC IS NOT HEARD YET AGAIN!!!!! WE HELP CARRY THE LOAD OF THESE DECISIONS, BUT HAVE VERY LITTLE VOICE!!!!

FarneyMac 4 years, 8 months ago

Get a job, people. Anytime I walk by the shelter on my way downtown, it is appalling to see the number of people who just sit around outside all day doing nothing and stinking up the block. If we could run some of those freeloaders out of town by moving the shelter, I'm all for it.

ohseriously 4 years, 8 months ago

I would bet that this nice young family would be thrilled to move to another location that offers some privacy, showers, meals on site, job services, SRS help with childcare, medical care, cash for rent, etc. Not to mention keeping the children away from sex predators and drunks welcomed at the Drop In Center. I predict this family will move out of downtown to new shelter.

I will also bet that the hobo-transient-panhandlers will stay put in downtown close to the trains and river camps, bars and students.

At least moving the shelter out of downtown will separate the two distinct groups of "homeless" - those who need a hand-up and those looking for an easy hand-out (or target).

gilly 4 years, 8 months ago

To all of you who think that homelessness is a "lifestyle choice": God save you from the vagaries of life that would force you into such a "choice" and subject you to compassionless creatures like your present selves.

To the city commission: Congratulations on specifying a warehouse next to the county jail and congratulations on your effort to sweep the homeless out of sight. God forbid any of you or your Downtown clients gets uncomfortable by being reminded that homelessness exists.

I understand that there won't be any bus service to the county jail, so how are the homeless supposed to get to work or grocery stores if there's no transportation to town?

johnnycash 4 years, 8 months ago

I am assuming most of city council people live either downtown or westside? Ofcourse they don't want shelter to be anywhere NEAR where they are. How are they going to transport people who has no $$$ to get to anywhere? Are tax $$s paying their transportation too?
What a worthless city officials.

jennifermarti 4 years, 8 months ago

The people in the picture I recently saw at McDonald's on 6th and they have a newborn baby too. They eat out and continue to have children they can't support. What a joke! Those children should be taken from them. Maybe instead of reproducing they should spend some time looking for a job.

johnnycash 4 years, 8 months ago

Welfare check! our tax $$$s my friend... They probably choose not to work since they make more money by taking Welfare check and food stamps. They buy better food than I do... I get store generic brand for everything, while they get to buy brand name goods at Walmart.

fancy80 4 years, 8 months ago

One would buy a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, and perhaps apples or oranges. Eating at McDonalds is expensive these days.

WyndKnight 4 years, 8 months ago

To the Detractors that have commented: Have anyone of you ever been Homeless?! If not then I suggest you keep the negative comments to yourself. Yeah there are those that are there should find themselves a job and try to become productive, but Lawrence is not conducive an environment to let those that don't have a permanent address to find a job. Once employers find out that you don't have a "home" they will find a reason to fire you. But also you got to realize that there are some that are there because they just can't function in a "Regular" environment. And finally there are those that become homeless due to other situations, such as eviction from a house, fire, came to find work and things fell through. Whatever the case it is now even more difficult for those left out in the cold to find a place to sleep that is safe. Since the Salvation Army closed its shelter My heart goes out to Mr. Henderson for having the courage to turn all those away that the current shelter can't hold.

So once again I say to those that are complaining about the homeless: "Walk a mile in their shoes before you start to complain about them." You never know when you might be one of those people that the rest of us see on the front stoop of the shelter "Stinking up downtown"

I should know, I was one of them for 3 months

WyndKnight 4 years, 8 months ago

If a person wants to donate to the LCS then go right ahead, if the homeless wants some spare change go for it. I just get so irritated with those that think they know the stories of all those that are homeless. whether someone is qualified or not to donate is a question that each person should ask themselves.

And seriously put yourself in their position before the criticism starts to flow. Would you want to be hated if you were homeless? or would you want to have someone have a little compassion for you, even if its just a few coins here and there. I know some of them ask for money just so they can get to dr. appointment, and yes there are those that will use the money for beer and what not. That's not what I am annoyed with.

It's all a matter of opinion really

50YearResident 4 years, 8 months ago

Anyone know how long the couple with 2 kids have been "residents" of Lawrence? It would be interesting to know. Have they lived here for 10 years or did The Shelter lure them here from out of state becouse of the "Benefits"? Someond define "residents" for me as I would like to know how many days or hours it takes to be a resident. 24 hours seems to qualify.

ksarmychick 4 years, 8 months ago

Here's a link to the last story they did on this couple. They were employed in olathe. If you look at the picture on the left hand side there is also another couple in the story that moved to lawrence with their twins after becoming homeless.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 8 months ago

Excellent start. Now if DCCCA will step up and open a detox at 214 W. 10th street.

LA_Ex 4 years, 8 months ago

Not a bad idea. The city needs a detox so the drunks can quit crowding the ER. Talk about a waste of money...

Jean1183 4 years, 8 months ago

If (and it's still an IF) the shelter goes in at Franklin Park, the problem still won't be removed from downtown. The people the downtown merchants wanted removed won't go. Changing locations, does NOT change the problem. FIX the problem NOW!!! Make Henderson start his "new" management plan NOW at the current location.

Also, the City is hoping to pass some of the cost of providing bus service to the new location off on the County (since they say it will service the jail too). I say, "COUNTY COMMISSIONERS, please don't spend our tax dollars in this way!" The City approved the location, let them assume ALL OF THE COST!

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

I had a friend who worked a pizza place downtown and when they closed he asked if I would take a few of their giant pies to the homeless shelter. I carried 3 of em in January weather to their "home" and they had the odasity to complain about the pizzas not having any toppings. Keep in mind that I loaded up the boxes with red peps and parm cheese and they were FREE. I had half a mind to take em back or to pee on them kind of like how they peed on that act of kindness that the pizza shop showed. That was and will be the last time I help those who WILL NOT help themselves

geekin_topekan 4 years, 8 months ago

Dude, your story is not unusual. There are some chronic homeless who became that way duo to their inability to see the world the way others do. Then there are those who are just plain old lazy and ungrateful.

I saw a couple who came to the shelter with a big box of sandwiches and hot coffee. There is one particularly robust (fat) shelter resident (not client) who looked at the sandwiches and said "I aint eatin' this S**t"

Go to jubilee cafe some morning and see how many complain about the 'service'. They complain about a free cooked to order breakfast that is serviced to them restaurant style!!

But consider also, they are not in a position that I would want to be in myself. They are too healthy to receive assistance and too mentally inept to get a job. SO they will forever be sitting where they are and complain and that will be their life story.

Maddening? Yes, some times. Realistically though, some are pretty pathetic and would otherwise die or commit crimes to receive the freebies.

januarygirl 4 years, 8 months ago

i can't wait to vote the current mayor, and all commissioners out .

bruno2 4 years, 8 months ago

In am constantly amazed by self-proclaimed Christians, and others, that declare the homeless and less fortunate are lazy and not their problem. Ever look into how many are vets, children, working poor, mentally disturbed, suffering from physical ailments? Human society came together precisely for the purpose of mutual support. Archeological digs of ancient communities, even to the stone age, have unearthed skeletons of people who clearly suffered debilitating and crippling injuries that rendered them unable to care for themselves. Yet the skeletons also clearly show their wounds healed and they lived for many additional years. This would have been impossible if they were not supported, cared for, clothed and fed by their community and society. So, I have this suggestion for the "I've got mine" crowd: If you are not willing to take care of your fellow man when they are in need, get the hell out of my human society! Go live in the wilderness on your own, and good riddance.

bruno2 4 years, 8 months ago

I do help the unfortunate, moocher. Meanwhile, I suggest you share your sentiment with your God and see how far it gets you.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.'" -Matthew 25:41-45

bruno2 4 years, 8 months ago

Mooch, you're at "piece"? LOL, you need an editor or a dictionary. Guess I should have known the measure of your intellect based on your comments. Respond all you want, I won't engage in a discourse with an unarmed man...

esteshawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Bruce Wayne - listening to constituents and agreeing with them are not the same thing.

This would be located in a business park where it will have the least amount of impact on residential neighborhoods, and the issue between the shelter and the surrounding businesses is a private issue, not a public one.

Open your minds, and think of the benefits: it will help removed these "undesirables" from downtown, which it seems many Lawrence Dwellers would like to see.

Do not let your prejudices limit your thinking.

Kris_H 4 years, 8 months ago

Even if a couple like this, who probably aren't qualified for any high-paying jobs, could GET jobs in Lawrence in the first place, where could they afford to LIVE in Lawrence? I make an average amount of money and I can't afford Lawrence.

I've been down, but lucky not to go clear out...walk in someone's shoes for a while, some of you.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 8 months ago

The shelter, if run properly, will not have the problems the current one has. Drunks hanging out and causing a scene 24/7. They will remain downtown and instead of having a place to hang out they will loiter on Mass. and their presence will be even more an eyesore than before the big move.

Clark Coan 4 years, 8 months ago

I support the new shelter IF the homeless can stay there only 90 days and the shelter staff and housing authority staff work hard trying to place them in permanent housing within 90 days. The key is PERMANENT housing.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

(copied from another thread)

middlemgmt -

If they're like the housing authority, and they appear to be, they are connected politically first and foremost. That's because they need their political friends in strategic locations or "public offices." Once that gets done the real party starts. Here's why. Lawrence is a heavily subsidized town because of the phenomenal growth of the Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority. Lawrence is also a huge college town. Underneath those two appreciably-sized institutions lie a swarm of social service agencies. The management heads of the political offices and the management heads of the housing authority are all interlaced because, essentially, they have elected one another to their respective offices. The housing authority staff, some of them, then get down to the business of writing grants. This pulls in state, but especially HUD, money. These tax dollars go who-knows-where. And I say that because the paperwork that all these agencies have (for instance, minutes from any of their various meetings) is written to such a degree of confusion that even the Greeks would be baffled. This is the paperwork that is open to the public, but for them it's unreadable and that's the intent.

In the meantime, with all of their money, they buy up the town. Power and money. It's a racket.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

in my anger I failed to make my point. Lawrence does not have a homeless problem, it has a transient problem.BIG difference. And for your info, I have been homeless. I took advantage of the tools offered to me and recovered. My thinking is not limited, maybe just clouded by the fact that my kin was attacked and left for dead by a transient. let's not just throw some toilet paper on the turd. time to flush the toilet.

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

where the hell did you get that from chief? First, I am not from around here so your family would not be able to "buy me." Second, a-hole, my mother was alive long enough to give birth to me and then she passed away! I strongly suggest that me never meet as talking about my mother is still a sore spot for me and

ohseriously 4 years, 8 months ago

Paul, as a Momma, my responsibility is to raise my Children. I also care a great deal about other people's children. It is NOT my responsibility to raise Adult Children, support them, encourage them, provide a safety net. Again, and again, and again....

Your analogy to parenting is very bad. We cannot parent homeless adults, and most of us don't want to. It may more akin to "enabling".

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

does zoning even allow for this location to be considered?

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

Key words here are "jobs somewhere." First let's take into account that Lawrence is a college town. But Lawrence also has a very large, and growing, population of poor and elderly folks, and that's because it's these people that are housed at the LDCHA. The LDCHA needs them for the money they (LDCHA) get from Washington DC, and they get a lot.

BUT the poor don't get hired, and probably not even considered, for work BECAUSE employers hire KU students over them. The employers like those "good-looking, clean kids" whereas they shun the "long-hair hippie or dirty drifter" types.

But this will all fall down because KU and the LDCHA cannot realistically live in the same town in the way they want to.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

This shelter is the centerpiece of the LDCHA's priorities because the clients of the shelter will eventually become tenants of the housing authority.

It's a racket so big and so well-planned that this town's future is in very deep trouble.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

At the March 9, 2010 Community Commission on Homeless meeting, on page 8 of the minutes, James Dunn (Oread landlord) is quoted, "LDCHA has put people out of their properties for as little as $1 in back rent."

Now why would that happen? I know why. LDCHA tenants are the poor and the impoverished so when they get evicted the streets, or worse, would be their next home. But now the aim is to temporarily house such a tenant at The Shelter. While at the shelter these people end up being "re-housed." Well, where to one might ask. Where else? The housing authority. But to be re-housed these tenants must accept social service agency support. This "support" heavily involves case management.

All of the agencies write grants to people and places everywhere. That's your money folks that you're always hollerin' about. Agencies like the LDCHA, DCCCA and Bert Nash are all laughing. One day, they know, you're going to be a client of theirs, too.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing office is a converted 1 bedroom unit (209) at the housing authority - at the Edgewood campus. Doesn't that beat all? Should but it doesn't because the tenants who were living in #209 were evicted so that HPRP could move in.

That's job protection!! Create the conditions that you get paid to clean up later.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

How about letting their families help them instead of dumping them on the taxpayer.

9.90% of the time it is the system that has busted up the family, too often for ever.

SassyGirl 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm glad that the homeless shelter is moving out of downtown. I went to a wake last Feb. comming out of the church a homeless man came up to me and asked where his bag was. He kept pestering me and I finaly told him (very rudely) that I didn't know @!&* about his bag and to leave me alone. How sad that a person cannot even pay their respects to the family of one who has just past away. And this is the same church that hosts link - if you have ever volonteered there you would know that the stinch is bad enough to make the hair in your nose curl. I hope one of new rules at the new shelter will require them to take a bath, and hopefully will have laundry facilities.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 8 months ago

gilly- If they were to offer bus service all you are doing is providing a free hotel for the night while they shuttle themselves to go panhandle during the day. Then they jump on a bus to come within walking distance so they can come break into my car or home.

Read the police reports. Prairie Park is a nice quiet neighborhood. Let's keep it that way. No million dollar homes here though. I guess that's why they are trying to give us the shaft.

Why does the city think we need to provide a civic shelter? If there wasn't one, some of the charities and churches will handle this through their own ways.

Does Lawrence really want to go this route? Look at cities in the country that are tolerant of this. See Seattle.

WyndKnight 4 years, 8 months ago

And once again People are showing their NIMBY attitude. No matter where they want to put it someone will complain. Get over it and let them find a place where they can actually help people.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

help people how? what are these people doing to help themselves? examples please. do you know where the cities of Denver, Chicago and San Fransisco moved shelters to? Lawrence Kansas, that's where. Outlaw panhandling and our "homeless" population will be cut in half.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 8 months ago

Bruce, feel free to move to any one of those cities. I have plenty of boxes, I'll even help you pack, then Cianara! Dont come back now, ya heah?

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

never once did I mention moving to those cities...please point out to me where in that comment I did. The POINT is those cities have outlawed panhandling and it resulted in the word getting out about Lawrence Kansas.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

really? really? and you base that statement on what? Hendersons history? You are an idiot.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 8 months ago

"never once did I mention moving to those cities" ++++ Im sayin' that if my city dont suit ya, pack yo s**t and leave. Simple.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

I love MY city and I think it is time we clean up the filthy scum that Henderson invites with open arms to MY city. simple.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

there is not nor will there ever be a best place. focus on how to clean Hendersons mess up and escort HIM out of town.

independant1 4 years, 8 months ago

Duh. Get ready, the neighborhood with the shelter will have the inevitable fallout.

Increased crime will follow (not maybe). It's a shame the shelter was not better thought out. I work close to a shelter, when it opened smash and grab car thefts followed.

tkmoore 4 years, 8 months ago

I just cannot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every commissioner should be voted out. I just hope when property values DROP every one in the neighborhood files lawsuits againstg the city. THANKS COMMISSIONERS. You can't get a bypass in but you can destory a neighborhood!

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

There is some really massive fraud going on in this town right now. If it's not the housing authority picking your bones clean it's the City, and if it's not the City then it's a doctor's office. That's all I'm at liberty to say at this point.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

People who are anti-fraud, anti-corruption, anti-cover-up, and anti-discrimination should probably think about abandoning this town. If you can't abandon Lawrence then consider boycotting it.

Barbara Huppee, Milton Scott, Carrie Lindsey, David Corliss, Ron Olin.....these are some of the "entrenched politicians." They're killing this town.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence is a showcase city for the glut of social service agencies that we have. All those agencies do is try to get another agencies grant money away from them. Henceforth what that means is this: The LDCHA boots a tenant out. Let's say a tenant is $1 behind in rent. Tenant really must live at the Shelter because there is nowhere else to go. At the Shelter social service agency staff are waiting. A staff member at Bert Nash, for example, will refer a client (whose living at the Shelter!) to DCCCA for drug and alcohol counseling and then DCCCA refers a client of theirs to Bert Nash for mental health services and then the client must agree to continue with their programs and thus he or she or they become re-housed in the housing authority. It all boils down to people being re-cycled through this Socialist system so that the agency staff can be fully enriched on what is a hell of a lot of money. People should be angry. It's the sickest sort of greed-by-way-of-human-harvesting that I have ever seen in my life!

Danimal 4 years, 8 months ago

A town of 100,000 people doesn't need all these homeless shelters. Lawrence, assuming state and national stats hold true, should have an indigenous homeless population of 80 to 100 people. Instead, after years of catering to the homeless and transients that population is probably well over 1000.

Thanks for ruining Lawrence City Commission. With your leadership Lawrence will be a place that no one wants to live in another 10 or 15 years.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

Not that present populations can be salvaged, for who knows? But it is compassionate to free people of this, not cruel. It is not cruel to live and let live.

IndusRiver 4 years, 8 months ago

Clear back in the '80s Barbara Huppee set out to "scatter" the low-income throughout the city and county and that's really how Scattered Sites developed. She was critical of concentrating low-income people together, which describes Edgewood. Buford Watson was the City Manager then. David Corliss was assistant to that office I think.

69 Scattered Sites were built between 1982 and 1987. Don't know how many there are in actuality, but the LDCHA has developed their properties more on the West side per Barbara's wishes. Clinton Place and Peterson Acres l and ll are all over there. But still, there's Edgewood, Babcock Place, Scattered Sites, and Section 8.

Over 1,000 properties. The LDCHA has a staff of about 40. All "loyal" to their Queen.