Archive for Sunday, April 18, 2010

Wayward cat found 1,300 miles from home

April 18, 2010

— No one knows how a tabby cat named Charles traveled the 1,300 miles from his New Mexico home to Chicago, but he’s set for a complimentary flight home on American Airlines in a carrier donated by an Albuquerque business.

Charles disappeared about eight months ago while his owner, Robin Alex of Albuquerque, was out of town and a friend was caring for him.

Then earlier this week, Alex received a call telling her Chicago Animal Care and Control had picked up her wandering cat as a stray. Staffers reached out to Alex after finding that Charles had a tracking microchip embedded between his shoulder blades, said the agency’s executive director, Cherie Travis.

Comments

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

i suspect that some jerk picked up the cat and hauled it halfway across the country before it either ran away or they kicked it out.

avhjmlk 4 years, 11 months ago

There's still hope for our Gus--gone since Palm Sunday, microchip "in hand"

KansasPerson 4 years, 11 months ago

Here in Lawrence? Do you have a description?.... we can keep our eyes open!

avhjmlk 4 years, 11 months ago

Central Kansas, actually. Essentially the very center. He's a gray-on-gray tabby, he's fairly skittish by nature, has a spot behind his right front armpit that will never grow fur right again after a tussle with another of our cats. We moved from KC last summer, so my sister-in-law is supposed to be looking around our old neighborhood to see if he finds his way back there...Purple engraved-at-WalMart collar tag says "Graf Augustus" with a KC phone number that doesn't belong to us anymore. I know, I know...must get new tags.

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 11 months ago

avhjmlk, do you have Gus pix posted anywhere?

avhjmlk 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, Facebook, naturally, but then I'd give up my anonymity if I told you who I was! :)

KansasPerson 4 years, 11 months ago

"45 comments" and yet I'm only seeing five, including the one I'm currently typing.

Jonathan?

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

Go read about Army Spc. David Conway II and his war injuries. Then post a "Thank you" note. It's a much more important story than a lost cat.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

jeez . . . I thought a donation this morning to VFW might count for something. Guess Ron would rather rant on the internet . . .

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

I've lost cats, and I'm a vet on disabiltiy. Let's drop it there.

independant1 4 years, 11 months ago

I woke up in Arkansas one day after a long night of drinking. Had no idea where my car was. Wish I had one of those chip implants and OnStar. Woulda made things a whole lot easier and simpler to sort out.