Archive for Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Robinson announces House candidacy; Sloan will seek re-election

Former school board member Linda Robinson to seek House seat

Linda Robinson announced she will be running for a seat in the Kansas House. Robinson will seek election in the 45th district.

April 13, 2010, 11:33 a.m. Updated April 13, 2010, 1:09 p.m.

— Former Lawrence school board member Linda Robinson today announced her candidacy for the 45th Kansas House District.

The position is currently held by state Rep. Tom Sloan, a Republican, who has served in the House since 1995, and plans to seek re-election. The 45th District includes west Lawrence and Lecompton.

Robinson, a Democrat, served on the school board for eight years, including one year as the president of the board.

“Public schools are being hit hard by the state budget crisis,” said Robinson. “Our community needs a leader in Topeka who will be a stronger advocate for public education and do more to protect our district from devastating cuts. I don’t want to just save our public schools, I want to invest in our future.”

Robinson said she opposes a House Republican leadership budget proposal that would shift more school funding from the state to the local level. “I find that to be disequalizing,” she said.

She said she supported the position of 14 local chambers of commerce that recently told state leaders they could support a tax increase to help solve the budget crisis.

Sloan said he will file for re-election soon. He said he also opposes the House Republican leadership budget, and is working with Gov. Mark Parkinson, a Democrat, and a group of moderate Republicans to get the votes necessary to pass a tax increase.

Sloan said he was at a bill signing Monday and spoke with Parkinson “about finding the votes for more funding for schools and for programs for persons with disabilities.”

The Legislature returns from its break on April 28 for a wrap-up session to tackle a revenue shortfall of more than $400 million.

Comments

Jon Jambor 4 years, 4 months ago

"disequalizing"? Doesn't come up in my dictionary!

MustHaveSalt 4 years, 4 months ago

Sat through an almost never-ending speech of hers in a muggy Allen Field House two years ago when one of kids graduated from high school. All the other speakers knew the audience was quite uncomfortable and kept their remarks short, but not Robinson.

In short, if you don't have enough common sense to trim your gas-bag remarks to fit the occasion, you really have no business running for any public office. Please vote for Sloan!

braverthanu 4 years, 4 months ago

anyone.... BUT old white men would be blessing.

1southernjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Great thinking...and that's how we ended up with Obama. Use your brain.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 4 months ago

You must be kidding. I can't wait to see what she lists as qualifications ! All I have ever seen her do is retain money for the use of the district at the top levels and close schools. Remember this SONS parents...this is the kind of individual you would be electing. Do you think that someone who does not have your childrens' best interests at heart will do any better for you at the state level ? As the parent of a child whose school was closed by her hand 7 years ago I don't think so.

Tom has done a good and fair job for everyone and is a regular guy that anyone can talk to. If you have never met him you might want to try as the election nears and you can see for yourself the difference between the two of them. He is genuine...she can put on one hell of a good act.

Jean1183 4 years, 4 months ago

Tom Sloan is a great guy. He is not the Representative for my district, but anytime I have e-mailed State Representatives, he has personally responded. With most of the others, I get a form letter response.

youngjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

MustHaveSalt ... I remember that afternoon also and totally agree with you! LR's disregard for her audience spoke volumes to me that day.

Richard Payton 4 years, 4 months ago

Write in nationwide, state and local level - NOBODY. Let's see if my grass roots idea has any merit.

snoozey 4 years, 4 months ago

That would be a fine example of a void filling a void. Sloan is actually capable of the job which gives him a big advantage.

KawHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Sloan's a good guy...smart, progressive, and intelligent. Why replace him with a blonde nitwit ?

Shane Garrett 4 years, 4 months ago

I took political science classes from T. Sloan while at K-State back in the day. I think he has done a good job as a representative. the "children are the future of Kansas" is a little over played. I hope to run on the slogans of: Give the farms back to the farmers. Give Schools back to the local citizens. Give business back to businessmen. Freedom and Free enterprise for everyone.

1southernjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Linda, back away. You are not up to the task. If you need a project, tackle your drinking issues.