Archive for Sunday, April 11, 2010

Man flown to Kansas City-area hospital after being stabbed

A man was taken to a Kansas City area hospital early Sunday after being stabbed during what police called a knife fight. One person has been arrested in relation to the incident.

April 11, 2010, 5:05 a.m. Updated April 12, 2010, 4:49 a.m.

Ward Avenue Stabbing

A 34-year-old Lawrence man was taken to a Kansas City-area hospital early Sunday morning with wounds he suffered in a knife fight.

Lawrence police took a 28-year-old Lawrence man into custody in connection with the incident on charges of aggravated battery.

Police were dispatched to the scene at 4:22 a.m. in the 900 block of Ward Avenue. Police said the victim was stabbed multiple times.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Michael McLaren said early Monday morning the incident was still under investigation and that no further information was available.

Check back at LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

somebodynew 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, chic, there is a Ward Ave. It is very small and on the East Side- near Haskell Ave if I remember correctly. You probably have never heard of it before.

fissuregirl 5 years, 2 months ago

It's off of Haskell, across from edgewood homes and it use to be a wonderful street but now is full of rentals. It was a great place to be a kid.

johnboy83 5 years, 2 months ago

i heard the life flight about 5:15 or so

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

Smitty--

Our story had that information about the same time they did. And, you'll note, we had a story posted long before any Kansas City or Topeka new outlet did.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, it does, and has since before 9:50 this morning:

Susan Mangan 5 years, 2 months ago

Jonathan - Just for the record, I am glad to see you, more frequently and vehemently, defending yourself, and the Journal World, against the hypercritical posters on this site. I've lived all over the world and I believe the Journal World is a great local newspaper...better than some large ones...and I'm sure I'm not the only reader who is sick of the holier-than-thou readers who seem to spend all of their time in their parents' basements scanning the paper looking for typos or "incomplete" information in breaking news stories. I really appreciate the community focus of our paper, along with important regional and national news, and I think programs like the $1 subscription for unemployed customers is a great service. Keep up the good work and ignore the perfectionist teenage critics!

Alabamastreet 5 years, 2 months ago

Jonathan, I know you appreciate the two-police-scanners-in-the-bedroom crowd that lives for the opportunity to find fault with the coverage. They are among the most avid readers, and as such, help keep the LJW in business.

But just adding my voice to others who appreciate you defending yourself and your work. There are many of us who come here a couple of times a day just to check and see what is up and aren't living our lives by holding on to each development each minute of the day.

So thank you for your continuing work. You're not perfect nor are your critics. I enjoy the lively give and take of these message threads, even when people write items that are unfair or flat out wrong.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm not trying to poke fun at the situation because it is serious and I do hope that this man recovers completely BUT when I heard knife fight, all I could think of was West Side Story. I wonder if jazz hands were involved also.

jenjer007 5 years, 2 months ago

Really? Your comment is in very poor taste. You are not clever or funny just pathetic. Get over yourself.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 2 months ago

You're right Jen, sorry I offended you.