Archive for Friday, April 9, 2010

CrimeStoppers tip leads to solving cases

An anonymous tip solved a June armed robbery of Goodcents and another at Conoco on west Sixth street and landed at Topeka resident in jail.

April 9, 2010

An anonymous tip to Douglas County CrimeStoppers tips line has led to two cold cases being solved.

Lawrence police had exhausted all leads on a June 9, 2009, armed robbery at Mr. Goodcents, 1410 Kasold, and an Aug. 3, 2009, armed robbery at the Conoco convenience store, 2447 W. Sixth St.

But late last year, an anonymous call came into the tips line. That information led to last week’s arrest of Sedryck E. Welch, 21, Topeka, who now faces charges in Douglas County District Court of two counts of aggravated robbery.

A judge set his bond at $75,000 and ordered Welch to appear in court for a preliminary hearing on May 5.

Police said the information the caller provided was crucial to the cases.

Anyone with information on unsolved crimes is urged to call CrimeStoppers at 843-TIPS.

Comments

sherbert 4 years, 3 months ago

Good. Wonder how much the reward was?

think_about_it 4 years, 3 months ago

We all knew the robbers were from Topeka.

broddie 4 years, 3 months ago

wow. great job. Resources that could have been used to locate serial killers or stop child molestation are squandered trying to eradicate an herb that clearly God wants us to grow and use. Read your Bible. Where in the 10 commandments does it say "Thou shalt not smoketh hemp?"

doc1 4 years, 3 months ago

You say that now until you need the crime solved you were a victim of. I hope a loved one of yours doesn't get hurt or killed in some horrible crime that requires a "snitch" to solve.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 3 months ago

Your world is failed if you feel snitching is lower than rape, murder, armed robbery.

There is nothing honorable about you as you are a complete failure to society on all levels.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 3 months ago

I think I'd sleep pretty good if I knew a child molester was rotting away in jail because I turned them in.

Ashley Woodward 4 years, 3 months ago

@lawrenceguy40....they are not in jail because someone "ratted them out". They are in jail because they robbed 2 businesses at gunpoint! They did the crime...and now they are rightfully paying the time! If this was your business, and someone came in and took your hard earned money with a gun pointed at you...would you want that person running around free spending all that money....no...I don't think so!

Bladerunner 4 years, 3 months ago

Your attitude is just pathetic.

doc1 4 years, 3 months ago

Once again, I hope a loved one of yours doesn't get hurt or killed in some horrible crime that requires a "snitch" to solve. I could see your point in something like stealing bubblegum but this is serious. This type of crime effects everything in a community.

earline james 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah for turning in the armed robber. Boo for ratting out your neighor growing weed. In my mind, the first is a stand up citizen.
What kind of judgemental tool calls the cops on a neighbor who isn't doing you (or society) any harm? (Just my humble 2 cents.)

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

So now we know which side of the law vs crime debate lawrenceguy40 stands on.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

"snitches get stitches essay"

jbiegs 4 years, 3 months ago

who wants to bet Lawrenceguy and somedude have done prison time? Hey lawrenceguy, I have more respect for the man that goes out and earns what he has and doesn't have to steal it. Only the weak minded would appreciate a thief.

sweetiepie 4 years, 3 months ago

maybe it wasn't a friend--is it okay then?

anonymous101 4 years, 3 months ago

lawrenceguy40- You dont even know for sure if it was a friend... if they are stupid enough to rob at gunpoint and not get caught then they are more than likely stupid enough to go around and brag about it. Who knows if someone heard the conversation.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 3 months ago

People are complaining about a guy turning in someone who commits armed robbery? What is this world coming to? If he gets away with it, he's not going to stop until he gets caught. The "snitch" saved some lives, maybe a cashier or some unlucky customer who walked in during a robbery.

bad_dog 4 years, 3 months ago

LG40, it seems a bit ironic that you want to use a "fair and square" guideline as the basis for apprehending criminals, or for that matter in any context dealing with criminals. Was this person's conduct "fair and square" when he (allegedly) robbed the businesses? It might have been a little more "fair and square" had he robbed the businesses bare-handed, without a weapon.

It also seems rather ironic that you refer to individual integrity, yet complain about a citizen reporting the commission of crimes. We have no way of knowing whether the informant was a relative, friend or criminal acquaintance, yet you want to label them as a "sub-human snitch" and/or the Cagneyesque title, "rat". If you know of a crime and fail to report it, you lack the very individual integrity you purport to laud, IMHO.

A citizen divulging details of an actual crime to the legal authorities is in no way akin to the operations of the Stasi.

BTW. if everyone snitched on their neighbors in the "secular socialism" model you describe above, wouldn't the neighbors all be imprisoned or executed and thus, unable to pay the taxes/support the lifestyle of others as you suggest? That would sure lead to the implosion of secular socialism, wouldn't it?

I applaud those who report crimes and criminals.

wamola 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey pot narc. I have a problem with the lack of responsibility people take in their neighborhoods. If you have a problem with something I do, just man up and tell me to my face. I will have much more respect for you if you can participate in the neighborhood by telling me rather than relying on the cops. I thought, conservatives wanted as little government involvement in their lives as possible. That's all fine and dandy if you can stop being a wuss and talk to your neighbors. But until then you have just fostered an environment of govt babysitting instead of personal responsibility. It's time to grow up old man, pot and theft are not the same.
As far as the thief goes, he got what he deserved. That is what the crime stoppers program is there for. When their dealing with meth rapists and Mass st. shootings, I'm real sure they are thrilled to have to take care of such a dangerous issue as your neighbors pot plant.

"Dr. Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs... Dr. Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth..." -Jurassic Park-

md 4 years, 3 months ago

I am a very conservatiive person.If my neighbor was dealing and had unsavory persons going in and out of his house it would be 911.If i saw him growing it and was a good neighbor I would say nothing.As far as snitches turning in an armed robber?The guy is a hero.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 3 months ago

Just read a revealing statistic in Utne Review: a huge number of people who get falsely convicted have been snitched upon by liars or those whose grasp upon the facts is at best uncertain. There appear to be plenty of this type of snitches in Lawrence, though I'd make an exception on violent crimes. Sometimes white-collar criminals would just rather someone else does the time than them. They have more access to the legal system than some, so this can be easy to arrange.