Archive for Thursday, April 8, 2010

C.J. Henry expected back at KU

Kansas guard C.J. Henry drives past Central Arkansas guard Imad Qahwash during the first half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

April 8, 2010

Kansas University freshman walk-on guard C.J. Henry declined comment on his future on Wednesday.

“I’m not here to discuss anything about me. I’m just here to support Xavier as family,” C.J. said, seated next to his NBA-bound brother at a media gathering in Allen Fieldhouse.

Indeed, C.J. provided much-needed support. He wrapped his arm around a tearful Xavier at one point at the emotional news conference called to announce Xavier’s plans to enter the NBA Draft.

After the media session, both coach Bill Self in person — and Carl Henry on the phone — reported that C.J. would be a Jayhawk again for at least another year.

“C.J. is staying to play at Kansas,” the Henry brothers’ dad, Carl, told the Journal-World. “He didn’t get to play much this year because of his injuries. He’s going all out. He talked to coach Self and told coach his goals. He’s committed to work hard in the offseason and play at KU.”

Self said he was “a little surprised he (C.J.) didn’t touch on it (his future plans)” at the news conference. “But he’s excited about next year. I think he thought that this would just be a day to talk about X.

“And things can always change. But he’s certainly excited about what’s going on with our program. We’ve talked a lot. He’s out there busting his butt, trying to get 100-percent healthy and get his rhythm so we can see where he stands. It’s hard for him right now to see exactly where he stands in relationship to everybody else because we haven’t seem him be 100-percent healthy over an extended period of time.

“I’ve said all along he’s a talent. He just needs to have a good spring and good summer to get back healthy and to get his rhythm back.”

Two is enough

Self, who has seen both Cole Aldrich (junior) and Xavier Henry declare for the NBA Draft in successive weeks, said there’d be no more press conferences. Nobody else is turning pro.

“I don’t anticipate anything else. I won’t come (to another),” he said with a smile.

Self on Johnson rumor

There’s a rumor on the Internet that Self has decided to remove freshman guard Elijah Johnson from the basketball team, possibly for disciplinary reasons. Self addressed the rumor:

“There are rumors out there about a lot of things. Most of them play out not to be true. I’m not going to say anything about that,” Self said.

Recruiting

KU, which has received a commitment from 6-foot-3 Phoenix native Royce Woolridge, currently has two scholarships to give. KU is in the running for No. 4-ranked Josh Selby, No. 21 Doron Lamb, and for No. 1 Brandon Knight (expected to sign with Kentucky).

“We’ve got two to give on paper. I guess that could change. I would anticipate more than likely signing one with a chance of signing two,” Self said.

Woolridge excels

Woolridge scored 17 points in the United States’ 91-81 victory over Spain on Wednesday at the Schweitzer Tournament in Germany. He hit four of seven threes. The U.S. will meet Australia tonight with a spot in the semifinals at stake.

One-and-done talk

Xavier Henry is Self’s first “one-and-done” player.

“One thing that has been used against us from other schools (in recruiting) is: ‘Self’s never had a one-and-done. Why would you want to go there? They’ll hold you back there,’ that kind of stuff, which is ridiculous talk,” Self said. “You guys (media) know me well enough to know, if a guy can help us win games, I could care less (if he’s one and done). I do think there will be one thing people can’t use against us because of that. I don’t know if that will help or not. If a kid bases his decision on whether or not a young man leaves after one year, that’s ridiculous.”

Self said he wishes high school players could enter the NBA Draft after their senior year in high school and if they go to college be required to stay two or three seasons.

“One-and-done has been good for college basketball. There have been some really good guys come into school and been great ambassadors for their programs,” Self said. “The problem is it’s a time bomb in that it won’t always be that way. That’s why the rule needs to change. Whatever the rule change is, it’ll be a positive one. Whether you go out of high school or have to stay two years, it’ll be more positive than what the rule is now. We’re fortunate. We signed a four-year kid the way I look at it, that performed well enough to leave (after one).”

Next year

Self said he had high hopes for next year’s team. “I think Marcus Morris may be the best player in our league coming back,” Self said.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

Mary Darst 5 years ago

Thank you CJ. I thought CJ was a solid player.

Joe Hyde 5 years ago

Unfortunately, due to his injuries last season we didn't get to watch CJ play very often. But wow, the times he was on the floor he played with a style that is controlled and cat-quick. He can shoot, pass, play position defense and pressure defense. If he stays another three seasons and can play mostly injury-free, he will be contributing some serious basketball.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

"I wish they would have redshirted CJ."

I don't think he was eligible.

royalpain 5 years ago

Mr. Bedore - quit calling Carl Henry. No one gives a damn about what he has to say anymore. He's a GD attention whore. Your stories are better off without him.

hwker 5 years ago

braverthanu 5 years ago

"I wish they would have redshirted CJ."

Once you start school you only have so many years to compete in athletics and attend school. Henry would not be eligible for a red shirt.

Armen Kurdian 5 years ago

Has anyone heard whether CJ was or was not a negative influence in the locker room? I heard it from a couple of friends, but nothing else, so I'm not trying to start a rumor mill, just trying to maybe confirm what I've heard. I don't know.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (anonymous) says… If CJ is healthy, they may have the point guard they need without signing any new players. ========== CJ is not a lottery pick...I don't think he's staying because he loves the school...where else does he have to go? Is he anything more than the lesser half of a package deal?

The way I remember it, X had all the talent. Anything's posible, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years ago

Self was recruiting CJ back before he signed with the Yankees... at least at that time CJ was seen as a high-quality prospect...

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

Touche, stuck. I was not aware of that...like I said, anything's possible.

Evan Ridenour 5 years ago

CJ couldn't be red shirted because of his age.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years ago

I don't know about the age thing... other than he will be 24 soon... but... he already did a red-shirt year at Memphis when he was injured and I believe you're only allowed one... I believe once you start you have 5 years to play 4...

riverdrifter 5 years ago

NBA needs to do what MLB does: you can sign straight out of high school. If you chose not to you cannot sign for 3 years.

monkeyspunk 5 years ago

riverdrifter, you can't compare MLB to the NBA when it comes to how to operate a draft.

MLB has a draft in June. Of those first round players drafter in 2007, they combined for a total of 1 inning of playtime in 2008. By 2009, a vast majority were still in the minors.

Draft picks rarely if ever make an impact the first year in, and often never see the MLB playtime with the team they sign with.

Different sport that requires a vastly different system.

Stuckinthemiddle, you are correct. Unless you are playing in a non Div I school. Then you eligibility lasts much longer.

Don Whiteley 5 years ago

Maybe CJ is staying with expectation of taking Sherron's place as the KU guard who can hit 20% in the clutch.

Uhjh 5 years ago

CJ was a good ball player every time I saw him play. It seems like good fit a NBA body that doesn’t use a scholarship.

newmedia 5 years ago

Appeared to be a pretty good 3 point shooter at times. Maybe he will get a little more playing time next year. Probably will end up back in baseball.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

If he's 24 he's getting a little old to be a baseball prospect.

Jeff Kilgore 5 years ago

So what about Elijah? Anything there? I hope not.