Archive for Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An emotional exit: Teary-eyed Xavier Henry declares for 2010 NBA Draft

Kansas guard Xavier Henry has an emotional moment alongside his brother C.J. Henry, left, during a press conference in which Xavier declared his intention to enter the NBA draft, Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

April 7, 2010, 10:23 a.m. Updated April 8, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

VIDEOS: Xavier Henry declares for NBA

Xavier Henry announced Wednesday he would enter the 2010 NBA draft, becoming the first KU basketball player under Bill Self to leave after his freshman season. Xavier's brother C.J. will remain at KU for his sophomore year.

On the street

Who will be drafted first, Cole Aldrich or Xavier Henry?

Xavier … I think he is more well-known, more hyped.

More responses

Reader poll
Did Xavier Henry make the right decision by declaring for the 2010 NBA Draft?

or See the results without voting

Carl Henry, who was busy coaching his Athletes First AAU basketball players on Wednesday afternoon in Oklahoma City, was unable to watch his son Xavier’s news conference live on the Internet.

Carl — he was briefed on the proceedings by a Journal-World reporter — wasn’t surprised to learn the Kansas University freshman guard had tears in his eyes throughout a 20-minute session in which he informed a large media contingent he’d entered his name in the 2010 NBA Draft.

“That’s him. He loves all his coaches and teammates and isn’t afraid to show it,” Carl Henry said. “If you watch him during the games, he’s hugging his teammates all the time.

“He’s a people person who is very emotional. He loves everybody at KU and loved playing the game there.”

The 6-foot-6 freshman guard — he said he’s currently in the “interviewing process” for an agent, meaning he won’t be reconsidering his decision to turn pro — choked back tears while explaining how “tough” it was to leave college.

“I didn’t know I’d love it here this much at KU. All the people here ... they really made it a place for me to love,” said Henry, KU’s second-leading scorer at 13.4 points per game.

“How big they (Jayhawks) are in basketball ... the relationships you can build in just one year that you have to give up ... playing in this building (Allen Fieldhouse) ... there’s nothing like it. I love what my coaches did for me and my teammates and the fans. Everybody who supported KU made it real worthwhile for me to come play here.”

Henry — he was seated at a table next to his brother, C.J., who plans on returning to KU for a sophomore season, and coach Bill Self — said people who know him well, “knew it’d be a tough decision because they know I love people and they know once I start bonding with people it’s real hard for me to let go.

“The people on the outside looking in ... they probably had no idea what I was thinking.”

Xavier said a possible NBA labor dispute after the 2010-11 season did not send him packing to the pros after just one college season.

More than anything ... “I think coach Self prepared me as well as he can,” Henry said. “He kept me confident throughout the whole season, even when I went through slumps and he got my mindset ready to play with anybody. I’m confident going in (NBA) and I want to go in there and I want to kill it.”

Henry said in “interviewing agents, going through the whole process, just recently it came up in my mind, ‘If I’m going to go for it, I’ve got to go for it with a full head of steam. I’m not going to hold back,’” noted Henry, who said he’d take an aggressive mindset into individual workouts with NBA teams.

As to far as where he’ll be selected ...

“I heard anywhere from (No.) 8 to 20, 8 to 16. It’s all about putting in the work,” Henry said. “As long as I work my hardest, God willing, that’s where I’ll go.”

Carl said he’s also heard his son is a definite first rounder, and Self would not argue with that.

“A lot of guys are declaring. Workouts are really important for them to probably determine that (exact position),” Self said. “I think he’ll be a good player. There’s so many guys out there that play that don’t have a position. He’s a 6-foot-6 two-guard. He’s a guy you can put in the corner if they double team the post. He can shoot the ball out of rotation.

“For a freshman, I thought he got pretty good defensively. He doesn’t play to his athletic ability as much as I want, but they can teach him to do that. His ball skills are good and are going to get better. He’ll have six hours a day to work on them. He’s scratching the surface.”

Self said it was not a “sad day.” He said he was happy for Henry, who, Self said, will pass 36 hours of course work this school year, when he could have abused the system and taken just six hours total.

“I can’t imagine there being one negative thought about anything with X other than they (fans) feel like they’ve been cheated because they’d love to see more,” Self said. “That would be strictly from a fan-selfish standpoint as opposed to looking at it from their family’s eyes, which was totally unselfish.

“I told X this,” Self added, “if my son would grow up and be like him from a spirit standpoint and a heart standpoint, then my wife and I would be ecstatic because he has about as good a spirit and as good a heart as any kid I’ve ever coached.

“I’d put four years in recruiting Xavier if we could get him (again) because I know what kind of kid he is.

“I don’t think you can build a program on one-and-done guys because the turnover would be too great. I do think recruiting a guy like him ... we wouldn’t have been 33-3 this year if he hadn’t come to Kansas. He was very good to us.”

Xavier said the year helped him “grow up like a man” and he “wouldn’t change anything.”

Dad Carl agreed the year was special. Xavier finished as the second-leading freshman scorer in KU history, just 14 points shy of Danny Manning’s 496.

“I wish they had a rule where he could have gone right away,” Carl said of his son heading to the pros after his senior year at Putnam City (Okla.) High. “But those are not the rules. He followed the rules. Now he can go. He is well-prepared. The last two years have prepared him for this. His body is ready for the next level. His game ... he doesn’t rush the game. He lets things come to him. I think he’s ready for this.”

As far as where he’ll play next season?

“A perfect draft spot is any spot in the draft,” Xavier said with a smile.

Comments

Bladerunner 4 years, 8 months ago

Burger King or McDonalds? The suspense is killing me!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 8 months ago

If he were staying, he probably wouldn't schedule a PC.

persevering_gal 4 years, 8 months ago

See ya! Would love to have you stick around another year, but I guess the potential of a possible NBA lockout would probably make the decision for you.

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

Nothing like getting paid big bucks to ride the bench. STAY IN SCHOOL.

colreader 4 years, 8 months ago

Anybody know if the presser will be streamed online? I'm out here in Denver and I wanna watch. Please post the address here if you find out. Thanks!

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 8 months ago

Col--

We'll stream the press conference live right here on this page.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 8 months ago

Col--

We'll stream the press conference live right here on this page.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

BigPrune 4 years, 8 months ago

One year in the NBA, riding the bench 3 years playing in Europe 1/2 year playing in Israel

....are the Topeka Sizzlers still around?

Bobo Fleming 4 years, 8 months ago

Great player while playing "little sisters of the poor tech" or some other preconference scheduled game. Not so great in real competition. Wish him well.

stuckinthemiddle 4 years, 8 months ago

Henry was the second leading scorer behind a first team all-american on a team that was ranked number one most of the year...

anyone who doesn't understand how impressive that is either doesn't care for basketball or doesn't know much about it...

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

Good kid, good player who has a ways to go & should stay. But, money talks and the CBA is out the window after next season. I think I'd go for the bank -if it's there. It may not be. We'll see.

braverthanu 4 years, 8 months ago

He doesn't play above the rim. Sure he can dunk on a break away, but in traffic a fall away lay up won't cut it in the league. Anyone who doesn't understand how unimpressive that is either doesn't care for basketball or doesn't know much about it. Flash in a pan. Lay ups get swatted in League...well not the WNBA.

mchastert 4 years, 8 months ago

coaches in the NBA know talent when they see it, if coaches didn't think they could turn him into a player that goes above the rim and drives more aggressively, then they wouldn't show interest,

Ignorant_Yokel 4 years, 8 months ago

Best of luck, Xavier!!!

Thank you for coming to KU.

trucker32 4 years, 8 months ago

I hope he goes to the NBA. Henry had one good game. one. the first one of the season. I think he is flat out worthless. He never once played for the name on the front of his jersey, just the one on the back. Im glad hes leaving, it will open up a scholarship for some one who relay cares more about the team. See ya in the NBA Henry, hope you enjoy that cold hard bench.

woodscolt 4 years, 8 months ago

X will quietly make a lot of money the next couple of years, then he will begin to have some impact in the NBA. He played team ball at KU, as I have posted in the past, and that will be an asset in the draft. While many ku fans wouldn't want to admit it, he will be a better player in the NBA than the structure at KU allowed him to be. Simply put the NBA suits X's game better than the college game. He has been a very classy player here at KU. Thanks X, good luck!

webmocker 4 years, 8 months ago

It is ironic that those who profess not to care are among the first to post.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 8 months ago

Another year and he completely loses his potential, what they really pay for, and is stuck with a sports administration degree. He only stands to suffer injury, pay attrition, and contempt by staying longer. As Butler shows, it's not about total hamburger AA's.

Tony Kisner 4 years, 8 months ago

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

Henry contributed very little to KU this year. It is clear he is not interested in playing defense and college basketball. He should go to the NBA.

hwker 4 years, 8 months ago

who really cares....really a grossly overrated player!

lawrencechick 4 years, 8 months ago

WHO CARES !!!!!!!! No wonder these athletes turn out so messed up when they actually think they are that important to the world.

whats_going_on 4 years, 8 months ago

The real question is...if he stays, won't you still probably do it yourself?

gammimc 4 years, 8 months ago

If he goes, let it be. The recruiting of him and his brother, and the way the family has treated KU since, doesn't merit getting upset over him leaving. In fact, IMHO, the way KU handled the situation when he threatened to pull out of his commitment was deplorable. I believe it soured the rest of the team a little bit. The chemistry this past season just wasn't there, otherwise they would have cut down the nets in Indy Monday night. I feel that he was catered to entirely too much.

Bye X, and thanks.

Randall Uhrich 4 years, 8 months ago

Unfortunately, this is the one sure chance he has to grab the money (millions!), whereas, if he stays in college he may get injured and lose that opportunity forever. Sooo.....What would you advise him?

BigDog 4 years, 8 months ago

rduhrich,

Actually the athletic department is allowed by the NCAA to take out insurance policies against major injury to top notch players ..... so they wouldn't lose the money altogether.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

I think he could benefit from more time at KU, but it's hard to say no to a million bucks, especially if you're under 20 and your parents think you should take the money too.

BigDog 4 years, 8 months ago

I also hope he goes to the NBA ..... when players come to campus focused only on the NBA ... tend to play for their future and not for teams

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Easy_Does_It (anonymous) says… X is my lab partner. I can't finish our project all by myself. What is up with that? You stink X. ========== Bad choice for a lab partner, LOL. X never came here for book learnin'.

Kufan57 4 years, 8 months ago

I can not imagine any parent telling their child that the all mighty dollar is worth more then an education. The team will be better without him...

gravitykills 4 years, 8 months ago

1 more year = maturity + higher draft pick = playing for a team that has a real investiment = minutes on the court = more money on contract negotiations.

Cole should have done the same.

Aileen Dingus 4 years, 8 months ago

Kufan57- he can return to his education after his bball career is over, lots of players have done that. In a field like this, where youth and health matters so much it's better to strike while the iron is hot.

Richard Payton 4 years, 8 months ago

Autie back in his day played above the rim and handled the ball well. Shot it all over the place thats why he prefers a shotgun so I've heard.

JayDocMD 4 years, 8 months ago

X: KU's first OAD. A good enough player - esp for a freshman. Didn't do much in conference play or tourney time. Played well against a few good teams and played better against mediocre teams. Was he the reason we won the conference? No. Could've done it without him. Was he the reason we lost to a MVC team in round 2 - probably not.

Big Picture: In hindsight, I now think him coming was to the detriment of our team. Not a knock on him or Self. It was worth a try. If he would have had a Wall-like impact then we're National Champs. But short of that we can now see he took meaningful development time from Releford. Who knows, maybe Mario would've been the offensive spark we needed against N. Iowa if he would've been in play this year. A bunch of what if's and maybe's.

Final thought: thanks for coming to KU X. Best of luck in the NBA. Wish it would have turned out better... for both of us.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 8 months ago

Xavier's stock went down at KU. I promise you other schools recruiters will point that out to other "one and done" players.

JayDocMD 4 years, 8 months ago

remaining questions: - is X signing with an agent? (with his family $ really no reason to - google B. Rush and ACL) - is CJ coming back and do I care? (doubt it, and I guess I must since I asked the question) - what did Carl tell X to eat for breakfast this AM?

anonyname 4 years, 8 months ago

gravitykills (anonymous) says…

1 more year = even if he improves draft stock a few places, still a new collective bargaining agreement = higher pick would still quite likely mean less money

beawolf 4 years, 8 months ago

Bob,

Show me where Coles' stock dropped. Last year he was projected as a late 1st rounder, this year a top 10 and probably an extra 2-3 million.

As far as X is concerned, I think he should have stuck around for another year, but there are too many variables considering the CBA negotiations,expected salary reductions and a rookie salary pool. Not to mention that the talent pool for the 2011 draft is expected to be 3 to 4 times deeper.

He has potential and that's what the NBA looks for. Why wait for some college coach to develop a player's skills when they can do it in-house.

The maturity and education factors are way overrated.

derekbaker21 4 years, 8 months ago

Good riddance Xavier Henry. You were an utter dissappointment at KU. You will be a flop in the NBA, can't blame you for taking the money though. I wish college coaches would start steering away from one and done guys and start going for players that know how to play as a team (Butler) It seems 5 star players don't really matter that much anymore when what is really needed are TEAM players to get things done. I prefer we get players that will stay in the system and help win championships, not just boost their position in draft boards. Does anyone really care what Dru Gooden or Paul Pierce are doing now? These guys could have helped us win. They bailed on us the same way X is doing right now. Don't let the door to Allen Fieldhouse hit you on the way out X.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

JayDocMD (anonymous) says… X: KU's first OAD. ========== What? Wasn't Brandon Rush supposed to be "one and done"?

BigAl 4 years, 8 months ago

derekbaker21.... Apparently you missed the 2008 season where KU had Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush and Darrell Arthur. All three of them left early.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

"These guys could have helped us win."

That all you care about? Rather selfish.

hwker 4 years, 8 months ago

who really cares....they're all a bunch of overhyped, overrated thugs

hesshawk 4 years, 8 months ago

So X leaves, and depending on whose rumor you believe, any one of 3 guys will come in to take the scholarship and probably be OAD'ers as well. Not sure I like the recruiting of these 1 year prima dona's. There is no team unity or continuity with OAD's coming through the spinning door every year. I know it's a lot to ask, but is it not possible to recruit guys that aren't top 20 in the nation and expect that they'll stay around more than 1 year? Don't become the kind of program that that sleazy Calipari guy runs. We have always been above that crap. Stay above it. Having MicD's all-americans doesn't necessarily anything......jus' ask ol' Roy. 7 of em couldn't get him in the real tournament.

Rock Chalk

rockchalkbettie 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm happy that Xavier is leaving, now Releford and Little will get to play!! Yay for them!!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Some "one and doners" that have helped their teams recently:

Carmello Anthony, Syracuse, National Championship Marvin Williams, UNC, National Championship Greg Oden, Daequan Cook, Michael Conley Jr. , Ohio State, Final Four Kevin Love, UCLA, Final Four Derrick Rose, Memphis, Nat'l Championship appearance

Coaches are looking for the best players they can find, regardless of how many years they might stay. How do you even who's a "one and done" and who isn't when you recruit them?

bkreed1960 4 years, 8 months ago

I guess knowing that Xavier was one and done, I just don't feel that sad about him leaving. If he had stuck around a little longer, than I might have more feelings about this, like I have had for some of the other players from the past. Those players who stayed around all 4 years or left their Sophomore or Junior years. I just think he needed more time to mature emotionally. best of luck to him. I'm looking forward to KU's team next year. Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

TLR 4 years, 8 months ago

Isn't it amazing that ESPN doesn't even have this a a blimp on their breaking news. Guess he's not that big of a deal after all.

William Weissbeck 4 years, 8 months ago

Interesting that Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe haven't announced. What's the timing on declaring vs. the 4-17 date that Selby and Lamb have said is their decision dates. One of the tricks is to recruit top 50, but not top 10 talent, big men that are still growing and guys whose families don't need the NBA cash. Hayward at Butler and Singler at Duke are pursuing degrees and their families don't need the cash.

beawolf 4 years, 8 months ago

"He was a lottery pick last year."... I disagree. Early in the year I saw he was as high as 10 but most boards had him in the early to mid 20's at the end of the season. BJ Mullins, a more athletic, bigger and stronger center from Ohio State didn't go until #24. But, It's a moot point. In any event he will go between 6 and 10 this year and as I said, waiting a year earned him a few million.

Tom Wilson 4 years, 8 months ago

Not really surprised. I did actually believe he might come back for one more year just to work on his turnover numbers. If he continues racking up high turnovers during his first year in the NBA like he did at KU, his second contract will not be close to what he could have been offered.

JayDocMD 4 years, 8 months ago

Ricky_Vaughn ,

As far as B. Rush, the distinction being "supposed to" - he wasn't OAD. I don't know of any KU player that's actually been OAD. Several were talked up as OAD - but none actually were gone to the League the year after their freshman year. X would be the first.

For the record, I have no problem with Self recruiting top 5 talent to KU, ALL of which will carry the OAD tag (true or not.) However, it can be a deal with the devil. This season with X is a reminder that committing to these high profile freshmen is like a pro-team buying an expensive free-agent for a one year-title run. When the title doesn't happen, the team is left a year behind in the development of their other players. The "cost" of the free-agent isn't always worth the price you pay the following year(s).

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Good point on X.

KU shouldn't have any trouble filling his spot though. I do think that team chemistry can be affected negatively by these guys...especially when they're asked to play a role instead of showcasing themselves. Does anyone think that X would have had better numbers if Collins hadn't been here?

I'm curious to ask...who's development do you think X's presence stunted?

Steve Tramba 4 years, 8 months ago

@JayDocMD & @Ricky_Vaughn - B.Rush learned from JaRush & KRush. Big time oops w JaRon, which led to even harder life lessons (alcoholism). KRush got it together a bit more, and had better NBA success (other than he chose a bad college). So much easier to learn from family challenges IMHO than from those who you have no direct link towards. I echo all the opinions on this board stating I feel indifferent about X, b/c I really do. I don't think he's NBA ready - but w/ guaranteed contracts in your face, how can you say no?!? Surely the DeSean Butler injury on Saturday might be fresh on his mind.

JayDocMD 4 years, 8 months ago

Ricky_Vaughn,

Releford wouldn't have red-shirted if X wasn't there. Not saying he was/is X's equal, but I think he will be very good given some PT - and he'll be here 3 more years.

Mario Little has no more eligibility for development, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have been a more complete offensive player than X (I can count on a hand that's been caught in a lawnmower that number of times X took someone off the dribble.)

Who knows who else - Self could have played Marcus more at the 3 and given Kieff the start at the 4 - with Withey and/or Robinson benefiting with more PT at the 4/5. Or Self could have played a small ball/3 guard look which might have allowed EJ more floor time.

Again, its all speculation but there's only so many minutes to go around, especially when HCBS refused to play more than 8 deep.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 8 months ago

The thing that really chaps me about all this is the University of Kansas. It has always been my impression that educational institutions are there to EDUCATE, not to be a pre-school for wannabe jocks. If KU and Coach Self took this kid with the knowledge that he was just here for some grandstanding for the NBA, I think that these educators are behaving very poorly and presenting a very bad image for the university. Survival in today's world requires a great deal of knowldege, maturity, education and saavy. If these qualities take second place to using a talented kid to "win" or to enhance the sales of tickets without having to pay the player, then something is very, very wrong with the university.

The administration and faculty need to do some soul searching about just how much importance should be given to athletics and to the prime goal, education of serious students who want to have a better life for themselves and a solid chance to be successful for the remainder of their lives.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 8 months ago

Ricky Vaughn, thanks for the recent OAD reminders. That's information, not just opinion. I was also touched by X's love for the school.

It amuses me greatly for all the stuffed shirts here who say that they would encourage their sons to "get an education" before becoming a millionaire. What a load of crrr. My son is 24. He goes to KU and works at Walmart. If anyone not engaged in crime or immorality offered my son several million dollars, I would advise him to go and start making that money!

If X reads all these posts, he should know that the vast majority of KU fans appreciated his short time here. Most who are mad and saying stupid things are deep down hurt that he's not returning. I'm not one of them. Take the money and have fun!

Those contacts with Lamb and hopefully Selby about X have been done for a OAD reason! Remember: the OAD rule isn't the fault of the kids. It's us adults who have concocted this stupid rule.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 8 months ago

Lots of cranky old men must contribute to the angry tone in these posts! Lighten up and appreciate what all these kids do for our entertainment. They owe us nothing. Get over yourselves. If 33-3 isn't good enough for you, you don't deserve any better. Yeah, the UNI loss stunk, but credit UNI and get off the kids' backs because many of these comments have been made by those smarting from the tourney loss. I'm more impressed with KU's, Kentucky's, and Syracuse's regular seasons than a six-game string of wins. Right? Yes.

friendlyjhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes, this team entertained us mightily and we enjoyed it all. College basketball isn't about obtaining a degree especially when you have the possibility of much more money. Too bad we can't get rid of that wonderful, altruistic idea that these are simple, good hearted young boys looking for a way to bring prestige to their alma mater and get a college degree. They are here for the exposure to big money athletic teams and chance at the real American dream of being a professional athelete. Love 'em when they are playing, forget 'em when they are gone!

Kyle Neuer 4 years, 8 months ago

A mistake.
I suspect that his butt and the bench are going to get REAL familiar with each other. Hope I'm wrong. Be smart with your money right away. Best of luck.

Tom Wilson 4 years, 8 months ago

Recalling all my days at KU, I wonder how many students did not enroll in that class with that professor at that time of day because some athlete was given that seat in the class hours before the lines officially opened for enrollment. I remember being one of the first in line on class selection day only to be told a couple of classes I wanted were already filled. How could that be? Then it dawned on me. KU gives first preference to athletes. First in line as a non-athlete meant nothing. You may have paid real money for the class, but that didn't matter. Doubt if things have really changed. Now X. Henry is gone

manONmoon 4 years, 8 months ago

frwent,

People go to college to prepare themselves to get a job and set themselves up for their future. I'm not sure what your education level is, but if someone offered you your dream job after your first year of college since you were good enough already I am sure you would jump all over it. No need to go to college any more X. You came to KU and now you got offered your dream job. Best of luck.

7texdude 4 years, 8 months ago

Best of luck to X!

If most of you had a chance to play in the NBA and make millions you'd jump, too. Simple as that. I agree that he could have used another year at KU, but two? Come on. It wasn't like he was interested in a degree at KU. Would you be if you could ball like he does?

The NBA is going to lock out in 2011 with the No. 1 issue being player salaries. Why not jump now? I would. Have you watched any NBA games? There are a lot of thummers in the league right now. Trust me. There are a lot of brick throwers in the league and X can score from outside. Talk about his slump, but don't forget he bounced back from it. How many times have you watched NBA players brick a wide open 3?

I'll wish him luck. I don't understand the ill will towards X. Maybe his dad's mouth, but X played hard and was a key contributor to our team. He'll help someone in the NBA next year, too.

Robert Holmes 4 years, 8 months ago

X has a smile on his face everyday and never complained. I wasn't sold on him taking so long to make his decision to come to KU but glad he did after all was said and done.

I did like that he mentioned he loved playing for KU even more than he anticipated (words to those affects).

Thanks for helping us win 33 games this year!! Good luck next year in the NBA and he'll eventually be a very good player. The NBA suits his style of play of better. I love Self to death and would not trade him for anyone but our offense does not suit him.

Best wishes!

Uhjh 4 years, 8 months ago

Good luck X thanks for being a Jahawk.

dinglesmith 4 years, 8 months ago

"Then it dawned on me. KU gives first preference to athletes. First in line as a non-athlete meant nothing. You may have paid real money for the class, but that didn't matter. Doubt if things have really changed."

It has changed. Students in the KU Honors Program have priority over athletes. The bring this up fairly often. I doubt there's much competition for the same courses, but the University's intent is good.

drnater 4 years, 8 months ago

Hahahahaha, I guess you all are really jealous of Xavier arent you? I would be to, I mean he's gonna make more money as a rookie in the league than most will make with there college education. He will be just fine in the NBA as well considering his game is better focused around a pick and roll type of offense to free him up for open shots. Do any of you realize that if it wasnt for David Stern, Xavier probably never would have came to KU and we would have missed out on watching him play. Some of you will say good to that statement, well you need to stop drinking the haterade. As for Singler and Hayword they are both looking at the NBA right now, Hayword is only a sophmore so your argument there is rediculous. Come with something better if your gonna complain, Freshman All-American isnt an easy task. Show some respect, and give your thanks for the time he did spend here. Now Xavier go make us proud in the NBA, and prove these haters wrong!!

justsmile2day 4 years, 8 months ago

All KU fans knew coming into this season X would be one and done.. Why are so many acting shocked? Sure the team didn't win the Nat'l Championship but you know die hard and true KU fans stick with our families. Do you people not think that other coaches and fans don't read how so called KU fans dis their players once they leave? Wake up and grow up people X is still a kid at heart with the God givin talent. To have this oppurtunity to show case his talent to the rest of the world on the most elite level of basketball that there is. You can't tell me that you wouldn't do this if you were in his shoes especially knowing how messed up these players unions are. They are going to through a salary cap on the rookies after next year and when you know that you can and probably will be a mid first round pick making just as much as the top 5 pick the following year due to this cap, why risk the injury. Heck I'll sit on the bench making MILLIONS all day long.. Tell me you wouldn't if it wasn't you, yea right. I wish XAVIER HENRY ALL THE VERY BEST AND THANK YOU FOR ONE YEAR OF HAVING YOU ON OUR TEAM MY FRIEND.. KU FANS ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS, WE AREN'T THAT UGLY COLOR PURPLE, AT KU WE DON'T REBUILD, WE JUST RELOAD, AND COACH SELF KNOWS HOW TO RELOAD OR YOU WOULDN'T BE TRUE FANS OF JAYHAWK NATION... WISH ALL OF OUR KU FAMILY THE BEST ALL THE TIME.. GOD BLESS

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 8 months ago

One and done, is he really a Jayhawk? I don't think so but good luck kid.

AS 4 years, 8 months ago

He's just following everyone from Kentucky, lets get the money!

alamohawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe the number of negative post about X leaving to go after his dream of the NBA. Everyone knew that he was probably a one and done player for KU after we signed him last year. Why can't you as J-hawk fans be happy that he decided to come to Lawrence at all? If anyone of you bitter fans could say that if someone was offering you a chance at lets say 100 thousand or even 1 million dollars a year to leave your crappy jobs or lives that you wouldn't take the money I'd be surprised. I even say you were stupid for not doing so. So what if he sits the bench for a year or two... HE'S MADE SOME MONEY. In this ecomony with unemployment the way it is!!! GET YOUR MONEY NOW. Shame on anyone that is against this decision. SHAME on anyone that is saying something now that didn't protest Cole Aldrich making the same decision a week ago. I would rather you lose your account on LJW so we don't have to read your post than suffer through your ignorance and hypocrisy.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

X was here for a yr. That's plenty long enough to know that most posters on here are bitter hateful, and unemployed. (judging by the twenty four hrs a day spewing of hate.) They are jealous, and hate all. Thaks for the yr X.

LogJammer 4 years, 8 months ago

1) The NBA and NCAA collaborated to FORCE talented, capable players like X into an unpaid year of college ball. So why direct all this hostility at a 19-year-old kid following the rule against his will? If he has to play at the collegiate level, I'm glad it was here where his dad played, and not at a Calipari sleaze factory. The one-and-done rule is deeply flawed, but don't blame the kid. And don't blame the coach for bringing him in. Bill Self knew he was gonna be gone, but he also knew what he could contribute. 2) Have a heart. Watch his press conference, and you'll see that leaving his coach, teammates, brother, and the fans who have embraced him is not that easy for him. He even admitted that he didn't think he would like Lawrence, KU, or college ball in general, but the fans here made him feel differently. Why tarnish that with salty, ignorant comments? 3) Anyone who thinks X robbed playing time from less talented guys on KU's roster needn't worry. They will develop like guys did in the old days, as underclassmen, which will make them more productive upperclassmen. Those guys aren't going to the NBA anytime soon, but they would if they could. And so would you. 4) Staying would be financially unwise. You go to college to prepare for a moneymaking career. X is ready for his moneymaking career now. College isn't going anywhere, but his youth, and all of ours, is. He could possibly be a lottery pick. He could get hurt before he gets paid. The NBA's labor issues don't bode well for 2011 draft picks. I hate that people have the nerve to say he's selfish to secure his future rather than entertain them with his highly marketable skill another year FOR FREE.
5) Everyone saying he’s not ready probably isn’t a big NBA fan. Ready to do what? Develop with pay, rather than pro bono? He is 19, with the height and build of a prototypical NBA 2-guard, and his jump-shot is damn near perfect. He may not create a lot for himself off the dribble, but that’s less valuable in the NBA than Sportscenter highlights would indicate. He won’t be Durant, or Lebron, or Carmelo, but he will be a productive spot shooter in the Association for a long time. 6) I think KU is the last of the top tier programs to have a OAD player. I know Duke just won a title with a senior-led squad, but overall the game is changing. There are still a couple elite, undecided recruits considering KU and a handful of other programs. I pray they don’t see the nasty comments people made about X. That may drive them, and their talent, elsewhere.

Steve Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

Don't let the door hit you in the ass dude....

emptymind 4 years, 8 months ago

X is too immature to make that call on his own...Daddy said 'son take the money and run'....what a waste...a college education will get him farther down the road later in life than his 'one and done' stint in the NBA......in a few years he'll be working for a construction company in OK if he's lucky, he's not motivated enough to go back to school. What a chump.

LivedinLawrence4Life 4 years, 8 months ago

Leaving after Freshman year to go pro = Millions of dollars while sitting on a bench and going into oblivion.

Staying four years, setting college records, and winning a national championship = Priceless!

Things like this make me appreciate guys like Sherron Collins more. Xavier will not be remembered as a Jayhawk whereas Sherron Collins will be one of those always talked about in Jayhawk history. Every time we reach the Final Four, guys like Sherron will be memorialized while guys who leave early like Xavier will not be mentioned.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

X doesn't tell any of you what to do with your life choices...think about it.

baller25 4 years, 8 months ago

What happend to X saying he wants to win a "Championship " before going anywhere??

drnater 4 years, 8 months ago

Hydra, Coles dad was out of a job during his sophmore year so why is it acceptable now that he went after his junior year? You sound like the biggest hypocrite ever for that statement. Emptymind, I highly doubt that after getting drafted in the first round and making anywhere from 1-3 million in just his first year, that he will end up being a construction worker. He'll make more money in his first contract than you could ever imagine. LivedinLawrence4Life, how can you say he wont be remembered? Do you not go to Late Night? They play a video of Jayhawks In The NBA every year, and you will see Xavier on it for years to come. The reason Sherron stayed is because he doesn't have nearly the talent that Mario Chalmers did and remember how far he fell? Lil Wayne said it best when he said "Money Talks, We Say Hello!" Thats exactly what Xavier is doing, and more props to him. He's only doing what David Stern is making him and all high school players do. Go to college for a year and then be eligible to enter the draft, no one cared when Beasley or Durant went after a year so why jump on Xavier? Bring on Josh Selby who has just as much potential to be a one and done, and i'll have a blast watching him as well!!!!

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

question...why is X wearing Kentucky blue with the Nike swoosh? I find that very odd. KU has a VERY exclusive contract with adidas.Maybe those are the clothes mommy and daddy laid out for him.

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 8 months ago

X did not play to his athletic ability, much like Mc Morris & Taylor at earlier parts of the season. But Morris came on just before the halfway point, and Taylor, though in fits & starts, started running and going after the ball a lot more as the season went on. You just never saw Henry be the dominating kind of player that Wall was for Kentucky. Yes, X is a great player, but he could have been fantastic, which you could see at times, but never consistently. I'm not dissing him, but he's really going to have to work out and build up some muscle over the summer or he's going to get his lunch eaten when he plays against an NBA center.

Somehow, I think that the chemistry on next year's team is going to be better than this one was. Not sure about CJ Henry though, I've heard rumors that he's been a negative influence in the locker room.

bad_dog 4 years, 8 months ago

hwkr, while your comments are pretty ill-informed, no one believes you're overrated. Stop being so self-denigrating...

X, thanks for your time here. While he didn't have a superlative filled collegiate career he did do pretty well compared to all the other KU freshmen players that preceded him.

While X doesn't strike me as NBA ready, I'm not a scout or GM. Those are the opinions that matter when it comes to determining whether he's ready. You know, the people responsible for assessing, drafting and signing talent in order to better their chances of winning league championships. I'll defer to their assessments over a bunch of Debby Downers that want to yammer on about whether he's ready or how much time he'll spend on the bench.

Good luck in the league, X.

jayhawkologist 4 years, 8 months ago

Dear Xavier,

I'm sure you know this by now, but you definitely needed to stay in college for at least one more year before thinking about going pro. Sorry man, but I just didn't see consistency in your game this season. Yeah, I know that everyone talks about the NBA being a league based on potential, but quite honestly, I didn't see the potential playing itself out during your first and only year at the NCAA level.

So really, was this decision to go pro an honest decision that you 100% made by yourself, or is this yet another example of a prima donna out of Putnam City, Oklahoma letting daddy make all of his decisions for him, based on daddy (whose long and prestigious NBA career lasted all of 28 games with a subpar at best Kansas City Kings team) wanting to live vicariously through his youngest son?

Think about it...

stuckinthemiddle 4 years, 8 months ago

in comparing Xavier to Carl it's worth mentioning that Carl was the tenth pick of the 4th round... eightieth overall... and Xavier is a possible lottery pick and not likely any worse than twentieth...

as for what kind of NBA career Xavier will have, it’s impossible to say for certain… it’s a bit like trying to predict the future of any nineteen year old… except Xavier is most likely going to be a millionaire at some point…

Kontum1972 4 years, 8 months ago

ordered.... that new porsche,audi, or mercedes?

braverthanu 4 years, 8 months ago

mchastert writes:

Examples of NBA coaches knowing talent when the see it. Michael Olowokandi (First pick of the 1998 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers out of Pacific). Darko Milicic (Second pick of the 2003 NBA Draft by the Detroit Pistons out of Serbia-Montenegro) Nice try mchasert

JayDocMD 4 years, 8 months ago

“I wish they had a rule where he could have gone right away,” Carl said of his son heading to the pros after his senior year at Putnam City (Okla.) High. “But those are not the rules. He followed the rules. Now he can go.”

...says the father who didn't even bother coming to his son's announcement to PLAY PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL. Isn't this what he has been prepping his offspring to do for the last 19 years? Way to mail in your parental support from OKC.

The news conference revealed two things: 1. X is genuine and loved his time at KU. 2. Carl just can't help but be a d-bag.

Danimal 4 years, 8 months ago

I think his game would have benefited tremendously from another year at KU. I like Xavier and I think he's probably a good person, but he's not NBA-ready at this point. Whatever team drafts him will probably have to develop him for a couple years before he's ready for a lot of minutes.

Scruggsy 4 years, 8 months ago

Almost nobody mentions the fact that the NBA labor agreement is expiring after next season, and the consensus opinion among the experts is that this will be the last draft as we know it. First of all, there will likely be a lockout, followed by salary caps and serious reductions in rookie salaries. If you think you can go in the first round this year, you better try it. Unfortunately, the draft is being flooded with underclassmen (see the 5!!! from Kentucky) with the same idea...

Lots of hypocrites on here. How many would forgo a great chance at guaranteed millions of $ just to maybe win one for dear ol' KU??? Show me the money...

Lenette Hamm 4 years, 8 months ago

In the 20+ years I've lived in Lawrence, I went to my very first KU hoops game November 13th (against Hofstra). This was the first time for me to see Xavier Henry play - he pounded the opponents with something like 27 points. I remember telling the friend who was with me, "this guy is too good - he will probably leave early". Sorry that I was right... and sincerely hope that Xavier's decision was a good one all around.

wagonburner23 4 years, 8 months ago

LMFAO at LMH. Hofstra!!! They don't have D-Wade, Melo, Lebron, Joe Johnson, Kobe, D. WIlliams. He was not a lock down defender in the Big 12 and he ain't going to be one in the NBA. He is going to get worked over in the NBA. Brandon Rush can drop 30 on him.

olmsted78 4 years, 8 months ago

since when was declaring to be paid millions so heart-wrenching. Man, based on that photo, you'd think he was addressing a tragedy.

or maybe he is....

here's a $2,000 handkerchief to dry up those million dollar tears.....bud.

LogJammer 4 years, 8 months ago

Okay, haters…. This is real simple: Xavier Henry is projected as a mid first round pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. After being selected he’ll sign a contract for (x) amount of dollars. Before the 2011 NBA Draft, the league and the players’ union will have renegotiated the collective bargaining agreement. This will likely mean a pay decrease for rookies. So (x) could be lower for Henry in 2011 even if he was to return and have an improved sophomore campaign. The same applies to 2012 and 2013. These circumstances, which are clearly beyond his control, would PUNISH him for staying in college. Thus, his best option is to cash in now. Pro scouts say he’s ready and that the lesser points of his game are outweighed by his strengths. If you say otherwise, you’re saying you know more than professionals trained to assess NBA prospects, which is just kinda dumb.

People are still bitter from the end of KU’s season, and I think X, with all that talent and soon all that $, is an easy scapegoat. But the team we all love so much is comprised of human beings, living in the real world and trying to do what’s best for themselves and their families. Xavier Henry was a good, sometimes great, freshman basketball player at KU, and I’m happy he came here. If you want to say he’s not a Jayhawk, I don’t know what that means. I like to root for the group of guys Bill Self puts on the floor every game. If ALL you root for is the Jayhawks, and your appreciation of those guys ends once they stop wearing that jersey, you should just cheer for the mascots. They come back every year.

Alexander Smith 4 years, 8 months ago

THe press conference was a joke. He won't last 1 season in the NBA. He is to young and to imature to do this. The players already in the NBA will not welcome him in. He is greedy, he doesn't care a crap about KU.

He thinks he is so smart but he isnt' If he does make it, which I doubt unless he grows up faster then I think his brain is capable. He will have a very short career. Based on his moronic choice to do this, if he does get millions he is going to just blow it and have an attitude which the seasoned NBA players will do pretty much anything possible to get him out.

Xavier is a moron, a dork, and I wish him complete failure in his attempt at the NBA. He is not ready nor mature enough to be there. What kills me is this relfects on how unethical Bill Self is. He is out to get players that will get him the money, once they leave KU do you think he cares? I doubt it, no I know for a fact he doesn't. If he did he would be making sure they smart enough to not do what this dork just did.

Xavier and Bill you are both failures. Xavier your ego and arrogance wasted KU money. Bill Self you fail because your are placing sports above education.

YOu are not worth 30 million when all you care about is the next talent to possible bring you more money and push aside the next player. Don't defend the education of the sports athletes, a good friend was a private tutor for a memeber of the basketball team and oh how you and KU give super poor education to them. WOW I get to ignore a class or don't show up because I am a KU BasketBall star player!