Archive for Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New rules regarding lead-based paint go into effect this week

April 7, 2010

— New rules on lead-based paint in Kansas housing go into effect this week.

The regulations are meant to minimize the risk of lead poisoning to residents and to people who work with paint.

The Kansas Department of Heath and Environment administers the new rules, which take effect Friday.

They apply to contractors, property managers and others who disturb painted surfaces in homes, apartments and child-occupied structures built before 1978.

Before starting renovations, those working on surfaces covered with lead paint will have to receive special training, certification and licensing.

Comments

LiberalDude 4 years, 8 months ago

This is a government takeover of the paint industry! How dare the government try to protect US Citizens from getting poisoned! Lead should be allowed everywhere, especially in our drinking water. Corporate profits are the only thing that matters.

The Tea Party will be up in arms about this one...

imastinker 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm not talking about corporate profits. I'm talking about the ability to renovate my own house.

LiberalDude 4 years, 8 months ago

Exactly my point g_rock! Hurray for lead! Keep your government hands off my lead.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 8 months ago

imastinker-- There will never be enough personnel available to police what people do in their own homes, as long as they don't blatantly dispose of it an illegal manner.

That said, if you live in a home built previous to 1978, especially if you have children around the house, you'd be well advised to educate yourself on how to handle lead-based paint before you disturb it.

inatux 4 years, 8 months ago

It's a shame the article didn't, I dunno, tell what the new rules are.

I've looked into it, and it's pretty intense. I don't see how this won't cause the cost of remodeling of homes built before 1978 to skyrocket. I'm not saying there shouldn't be safety measures lead poisoning from lead-based paint is a big deal. But this will be very, very costly if you don't decide to do it yourself.

imastinker 4 years, 8 months ago

Bozo - are you advocating that I not be opposed to a law that makes something I do illegal because it helps some people?

If everyone were aware of safe ways to handle lead based paint there would be no problem. That requires no government bureaucracy.