Archive for Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Carnival planned by Cartoon Network

Cartoon Network is one of the primary sponsors for a proposed street party in downtown Lawrence. The party, which would take place April 19, would have activities appropriate for people of all ages.

April 7, 2010

The Cartoon Network is the group behind a planned street carnival in downtown Lawrence.

Commissioners gave approval for promoters to close Eighth Street from Massachusetts to New Hampshire street on April 19 for a carnival and music concert. The street will be closed from 9 a.m. to midnight.

Commissioners were told the free event basically is part of a promotions campaign for Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim programming, which features cartoons for an adult audience during the overnight hours.

The Whips, a band from Athens, Ga., is scheduled to be the headline music act for the event.

On a 4-0 vote, commissioners approved plans for the event, contingent upon all the carnival games and advertising being appropriate for all ages. Mayor Rob Chestnut was absent from the meeting.

Comments

angel4dennis 4 years, 8 months ago

I find that Adult Swim is untasteful and even though it is geared to adults, it still begins early enough for children to see it. I hope the promoters and the patrons have a good time at the carnival.

jayjayjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Wait, Adult Swim and Cartoon Network are the ones who ran the ad that said Thanks Kansas Thanks for tanking against Northern Iowa Country Day School Because that helped teach us teach the important lesson of disappointment what we're trying to say is What the !@#$$$? [explicative] Wheat Eaters! (see it at http://backseatfan.com/index.php/2010/04/adult-swim-thanks-kansas/) Do we really want these folks hosting a carnival for our children?

fu7il3 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes. Yes, we do. Because they are funny and they want to give us a free carnival. Maybe you guys are being just a tad uptight.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, some of you need to develop a sense of humor....

hail2oldku 4 years, 8 months ago

g_rock (anonymous) says… I still wonder why this "college fair" is not on campus. Still not looking community oriented. Still betting that it is one of those things designed to get college kids to sign up for credit cards and get a free t-shirt. We'll see....

IF you are correct in your third sentence g_rock, you have answered your own question. They can't do the CC thing on campus anymore since it is no longer legal to do so.

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

Adult Swim doesn't start until 10 or 11 at night. If your kids are still up then, I guess it would be YOUR job to monitor what they are watching on television because there isn't much geared to the kiddies at that hour. Personally ,I can't wait for the 3rd season of "Boondocks".

Reuben Turner 4 years, 8 months ago

i won't be there. i don't think that they ought to praise that cartoon network in any way. it is very distasteful and really needs to find a new channel for the children won't be up after 9pm watching it.

BabyBear 4 years, 8 months ago

so basicly you are the people that are no fun and I hope I dont see you at this event. I'll be wearing my offinsive joe-college tshirts just to annoy you boring people

4 years, 8 months ago

And just down the road there's a geek night happening at Jackpot Saloon! It's gonna be a great night. I'm hoping to drink some beers, get some carnival freebies, play some games, drink some more beer and whip out my polyhedral dice at Jackpot. Go Monday!