Archive for Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Black tea party backers take heat

April 7, 2010

— They’ve been called Oreos, traitors and Uncle Toms, and are used to having to defend their values.

Now black conservatives are really taking heat for their involvement in the mostly white tea party movement — and for having the audacity to oppose the policies of the nation’s first black president.

“I’ve been told I hate myself. I’ve been called an Uncle Tom. I’ve been told I’m a spook at the door,” said Timothy F. Johnson, chairman of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, a group of black conservatives who support free market principles and limited government.

“Black Republicans find themselves always having to prove who they are. Because the assumption is the Republican Party is for whites and the Democratic Party is for blacks,” he said.

Johnson and other black conservatives say they were drawn to the tea party movement because of what they consider its commonsense fiscal values of controlled spending, less taxes and smaller government.

The fact that they’re black — or that most tea partyers are white — should have nothing to do with it, they say.

“You have to be honest and true to yourself. What am I supposed to do, vote Democratic just to be popular? Just to fit in?” asked Clifton Bazar, a 45-year-old New Jersey freelance photographer and conservative blogger.

Angela McGlowan, a black congressional candidate from Mississippi, said her tea party involvement is “not about a black or white issue.”

“It’s not even about Republican or Democrat, from my standpoint,” she told The Associated Press. “All of us are taxed too much.”

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

"

All of us are taxed too much..." Not all of us. The upper crust still hold on to the tax breaks Bush gave them. Why not tax everyone a straight 10% across the board.

XEPCT 4 years, 5 months ago

Tom Shewmon ... you want us to cut spending yes? Do you have any idea how much it costs to maintain nuclear weapons? I don't think you do. I also don't think you realize that the Russians were the ones who pushed this decommissioning. Why? Because they can ill afford to keep all their stockpiles operational.

Ignorance is dangerous. This president is dangerous too, if you're a terrorist holed up in Northwest Pakistan.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

cowboy 4 years, 5 months ago

tom , it's not really about you and I paying a different rate that would really impact the US. Varying percentages are out there that indicate less than 40 % of US corporations pay any tax at all. Put a flat rate on those guys and you would see a monumental flow of tax revenue.

cowboy 4 years, 5 months ago

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 5 months ago

To those who complain that taxes are too low, federal income taxes on all wage earners bring in about $1 trillion per year. Our 2010 federal deficit alone is $1.5 trillion. The government would have to raise income taxes by 150% just to cover one year's worth of budget shortfalls. And that doesn't begin to address our accumulated national debt of $12 trillion.

grammady, I would love a 10% tax across the board. Like Tom, I'd be out investing in our economy instead of sending a wad of cash to Washington.

headdoctor 4 years, 5 months ago

cowboy (anonymous) says… Back to the black Tea Partiers , whats the problem , theres only like 4 or 5 of them total.

Yup. I can't think of any black conservatives that would want to be within 10 miles of anything to do with the Tea Baggers. Come to think of it. I can't think of any blacks that would want to be part of them either.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

The legislative and executive actions of the Republican Party consistently run counter to the interests of all people not of the upper 10% of income earners and wealth holders, whether they be black, white, red or chartreuse. That is the essential theme of Thomas Frank's book What's the Matter with Kansas, and it's almost certainly true for the vast majority of teapartiers, as well.

Sadly, the Democratic Party is subject to the same corrupting influences (wads of corporate cash) and doesn't have a much better record, as the recent healthcare bill demonstrates.

puddleglum 4 years, 5 months ago

This president? I thought we sold the constitution on ebay during the last presidency....as Cheney said: "we have no use for it" ...

failure. try again.

headdoctor 4 years, 5 months ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… Surprised some lefty hasn't produced some nonsense about how black tea partiers are being paid and/or exploited by the GOP yet.

You could be waiting awhile. Your not that good at baiting. Although it wouldn't surprise me if VALERIE BAUMAN of the Associated Press wasn't paid by outside sources to write this stupid piece of wasted space.

bendover61 4 years, 5 months ago

This is about racism, straight up.

headdoctor 4 years, 5 months ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… XEPCT, I know it's costly but do you wanna be safe or not? Defense is something I'm OK with the gov't going fat on. Welfare, ObamaCare, entitlements, pork, and expanding gov't is not. It's the long-term view that seems to escape today's progressive. Obama is dangerous.

You are so full of it, it would be hard to tell the difference between you and a Thanksgiving turkey. Republicans are against entitlements, pork, and expanding Government???? Except when those items are a benefit to the Republicans and or their agenda. I suspect there will many of the lower income angry Republicans will enjoy the Obama Care when they think no one is looking to notice.

Olympics 4 years, 5 months ago

Exxon made $45 billion in profits last year while paying no federal income tax.

Olympics 4 years, 5 months ago

Last week, Forbes magazine published what the top U.S. corporations paid in taxes last year. “Most egregious,” Forbes notes, is General Electric, which “generated $10.3 billion in pretax income, but ended up owing nothing to Uncle Sam. In fact, it recorded a tax benefit of $1.1 billion.” Big Oil giant Exxon Mobil, which last year reported a record $45.2 billion profit, paid the most taxes of any corporation, but none of it went to the IRS:

Exxon tries to limit the tax pain with the help of 20 wholly owned subsidiaries domiciled in the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands that (legally) shelter the cash flow from operations in the likes of Angola, Azerbaijan and Abu Dhabi. No wonder that of $15 billion in income taxes last year, Exxon paid none of it to Uncle Sam, and has tens of billions in earnings permanently reinvested overseas.

Mike Ford 4 years, 5 months ago

changing the subject of race is the right's way of ignoring their own 800 pound gorilla in the room. Diminish the race of Barack Obama and they can beat the heck out of him on everything else and declare that they share none of the racist values of the Teawhatevers. REALLLY!!!!!

Yes, the GOP was against slavery in the U.S. Civil War. Yes they occupied the South as carpetbaggers during Reconstruction and the southerners hated them. As the GOP became a party of the rich on the wrong side of the U.S. Depression with Hoover and Landon, they had to reach out. When Harry Truman integrated the military in 1948, he forced the Orville Faubuses, Strom Thurmonds, Jesse Helms, and George Wallaces to create the racist Dixiecrats. LBJ passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and these people had no where to go until Nixon did his southern strategy and brought these Friendly People? into the GOP tent. Within ten years the godlicans were brought into the fold and voila we have the mess that has existed with Bedtime for Bonzo, Diplomatic Throwup, and WHERE ARE THE WMDS since 1980. What's funnier is now we have the uncensored publically racist and violent patriots? who want to take the country back to the Articles of Confederation. Since when was 1781 so appealing? I've noticed that when minority groups can't get the party they normally favor to follow through on legislation, they go to their opponents to apply pressure. A tribe here in Kansas gave money to GOP candidate Tim Schallenberger to oppose state gaming when Kathleen Sebelius supported it. The tribes didn't want any competition to their casinos. Maybe these tea partiers are trying to send a message through the wrong channels, who knows?

headdoctor 4 years, 5 months ago

That reminds me Tom. Neither you or any of the other modern abominations of the Republican party have ever answered what the Republican party has ever done for you to gain the undying support. I mean really. The lower income, lower educated, angry Republicans have more than likely benefited more from Democratic actions than the Republicans. Most of the Republican plans do not include the lower end bunch so why do you all keep letting them mess you over. Surely it can't be the whole education thing. After a while even the least intelligent get tired of being kicked around.

whats_going_on 4 years, 5 months ago

puddleglum (anonymous) says… snap sez: This president is dangerous too, if you believe the Constitution of the United States should be preserved.

failure. try again.

hah!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Breaking news: Liberals discover that Black people have individual motives, don't all think alike.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

“(CNN) -- When it comes to the Tea Party movement, the stereotypes don't tell the whole story. Here's what you often see in the coverage of Tea Party rallies: offensive posters blasting President Obama and Democratic leaders; racist rhetoric spewed from what seems to be a largely white, male audience; and angry protesters rallying around the Constitution. Case in point: During the health care debate last month, opponents shouted racial slurs at civil rights icon Georgia Rep. John Lewis and one person spit on Missouri Rep. Emanuel Cleaver. The incidents made national headlines, and they provided Tea Party opponents with fodder to question the movement. But here's what you don't often see in the coverage of Tea Party rallies: Patriotic signs professing a love for country; mothers and fathers with their children; African-Americans proudly participating; and senior citizens bopping to a hip-hop rapper…”

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

Because if there is anything that Ann Coulter knows, it is what it is like to be a black conservative...

headdoctor 4 years, 5 months ago

barrypenders (anonymous) says… "That reminds me Tom. Neither you or any of the other modern abominations of the Republican party have ever answered what the Republican party has ever done for you to gain the undying support. I mean really" Your question 'Exemplifies' the PAD need for 'Spreading the Wealth'. Feeding off of those that can for those that can't, is a trait that cannot survive in and of itself. Once the cherrys have been picked, what is left? The leaves to eat?

Nothing like attempting to answer my question with a twist that tries to push the Republican point for their agenda. Since you chose to go there so will I. The Republicans supposedly don't like redistribution of wealth yet their plan takes from everyone including the poor and puts it in their pockets or their buddies pockets. They sure don't have a problem with that.

Better try next time. As I have said before. The Republicans are always whining about Socialism and then run to the trough to feed themselves. The only difference in their Socialist plan is who the beneficiary is.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 5 months ago

I think it is ridiculous that because someone is a certain race they are stereotyped into being of a certain party and that if they don't fit the "mold" they are harassed.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 5 months ago

Shannon Reeves is the National Director of State and Local Development for the RNC. He has called certain Republicans out for being racist. He mailed an open letter in 2003 to the Board of California criticizing Bill Black (who was Vice Chairman at the time) for a racist letter he wrote. He also criticized his own party for being racist in the letter by discussing experiences he has personally had.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 5 months ago

I haven't heard of Shannon Reeves doing anything to make them look foolish. The thing about the Tea Party movement is that it is disorganized. I am sure there are some who are racist...however, there are a lot who are normal citizens concerned about government spending etc. Even Obama has discussed this..I am surprised that so many of his supporters have not acknowledged this.

If Sarah Palin wasn't involved in it..I think I would be more interested myself..I can identify with those who have concerns about government waste and spending as well as government programs that are simply dysfunctional at best.

bruno2 4 years, 5 months ago

"This President is dangerous", "the constitution"... Oops, the record's stuck, oops the record's stuck, oops, the record's stuck... How do you like the weather today, Tom? "This President is dangerous". How about them Jayhawks? "Defend the constitution". Parrots of the world untie!

LoveThsLife 4 years, 5 months ago

They may have sought her out and she may be a "hot commodity" but that doesn't give her any credibility in my book. I think she is a joke.

impska 4 years, 5 months ago

Grammaddy should run for office on that flat 10% tax platform.

And cowboy, I have to question your stat about 60% of corporations not paying any taxes - is it because 60% of corporations are empty or make no money? If you make even a tiny profit you're paying taxes as a corporation. That said, incorporating is an easy matter of filing the paperwork, even if you never end up going anywhere with the business. I think it's easy to think "big" when you hear the word corporation, but that's the minority.

gravitykills 4 years, 5 months ago

I can see how liberals scowl at the thought of a black conservative. The left portrays conservatives as “rich white guys” ...never mind rural America.

And, as for Palin... she may be a "hot commodity", but so is the iPhone. She lost her credentials after her governor’s tour and hopefully her ‘commodity’ goes south after her book tour.

Olympics 4 years, 5 months ago

Pilgram2....Forbes magazine is the source...hardly a "left wing" biased magazine.

bruno2 4 years, 5 months ago

So how about Michael Steele, wingnuts? Been to a S&M strip club recently, drop a couple grand there? Ouch! Hahahahahahaha

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Tom's constant excuse for his actions: "But, but ... Bush!"

Sure must be nice to claim the ability to lie and make outrageous claims based on a belief that others did the same thing about another politician, even if it drove you crazy-mad when it happened.

Regarding this article, I'm not at all surprised. Stupid knows no race.

Jim Phillips 4 years, 5 months ago

"They’ve been called Oreos, traitors and Uncle Toms, and are used to having to defend their values."

So, I guess it's OK to use racial slurs if Liberals are referring to Conservative African-Americans. Quite hypocritical, indeed! (Business as usual)

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Guardian: "So, I guess it's OK to use racial slurs if Liberals are referring to Conservative African-Americans."

Nope.

While I have no doubt that it has happened, I don't actually see anyone here or in the story saying that it is okay or the right and civil thing to do. I feel the story points out quite nicely that such blanket comments are silly. It is what you "guess" to be true of what liberals think, but it is not something based on the facts of what is written here. The story does state that he was called an Oreo "and he deserves it," now does it?

As I said, stupid knows no race, and it certainly isn't restricted to just one set of political beliefs.

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

That should be, "the story does NOT state ..."

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

I recognize the Republican party as the sheet anchor of the colored man's political hopes and the ark of his safety. (Frederick Douglass)

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

The crime of taxation is not in the taking of it, it’s in the way that it’s spent. (Will Rogers)

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Tax Day is a dreaded deadline for millions, but for nearly half of U.S. households it's simply somebody else's problem.

About 47 percent will pay no federal income taxes at all for 2009. Either their incomes were too low, or they qualified for enough credits, deductions and exemptions to eliminate their liability. That's according to projections by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington research organization.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

I paid some federal Income tax.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

I am a Republican, a black, dyed in the wool Republican, and I never intend to belong to any other party than the party of freedom and progress. (Frederick Douglass)

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Inde-1, I am sure Frederick Douglass would not recognize the Republican party of today as the party of Lincoln he knew and respected.

Jim Phillips 4 years, 5 months ago

My point, bea, and you know it's so, is that there have been many topics on this forum where-in Conservatives were all but crucified by Liberals for saying less. While none of the Liberal posters on this thread made or defended the comments themselves, their collective silence is deafening.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

In 1957, President Eisenhower sent Congress a proposal for civil rights legislation. The result was the Civil Rights Act of 1957, the first civil rights legislation since Reconstruction. The new act established the Civil Rights Section of the Justice Department and empowered federal prosecutors to obtain court injunctions against interference with the right to vote. It also established a federal Civil Rights Commission with authority to investigate discriminatory conditions and recommend corrective measures. The final act was weakened by Congress due to lack of support among the Democrats.

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

yes, we are all aware of the "Dixiecrats." They are now what are known as "Republicans."

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Guardian, how often do conservatives on here speak out against fellow conservatives who resort to name calling? I've never seen other conservatives speaking out against a conservative poster calling people things like "demonrats" or far worse, and indeed, I've not seen liberals speaking out against other liberals who call someone something like "uncle Tom." I'm afraid it is a double-edged sword that does indeed cut both ways. That is the point I am making. You can't just say it is a liberal thing, and I likewise shouldn't say it is only a conservative concern.

Perhaps we really should all be more diligent to speak out against those who foster incivility, starting with those with whom we most closely identify.

I'll be the bigger person here ... and let you go first.

ChrisNyberg 4 years, 5 months ago

If the election was today I would vote Ron Paul, just like last election.

Jim Phillips 4 years, 5 months ago

bea, Thank you. And I will not argue your point. Neither side is innocent. Well said, indeed.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

Race hustling can also be a lucrative occupation, as Jesse Jackson -- among others-- has demonstrated in the United States. As long as we keep buying it, the hustlers will keep selling it. (Thomas Sowell)

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

Our derelict Supreme Court has given Congress sanction to do anything upon which they can muster a majority vote.

James Madison, the acknowledged father of the Constitution, explained in Federalist Paper No. 45: "The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. (Walter Williams)

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

These two intellectuals (Sowell/Williams) made their way in the 50's/60's sans eeo/aa, they are conservative and it's easy to say are affiliated with repub party. They eschew big government, entitlements and big defecits.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

We shouldn't think that the cure to Congress' unconstitutional heavy-handedness will end if we only elect Republicans. Republicans have demonstrated nearly as much constitutional contempt as have Democrats. The major difference is the significant escalation of that contempt under today's Democratically controlled Congress and White House with the massive increase in spending, their proposed legislation and the appointment of tyrannical czars to control our lives. It's a safe bet that if and when Republicans take over the Congress and White House, they will not give up the massive increase in control over our lives won by the Democrats. (Walter Williams)

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

So clearly, repubs can criticise repubs while dems now seem to be the party that walk in lock step to the beat of their partisan line.

The only dem criticism of the current big government wave (the HC big Kahuna) we're riding I see here is, "it's not big enough."

From an independant1's point of view, the dems in congress failed miserably to pursuade the opposition to join in any of this HC morass. The pendulum will swing the other way, it always does. The only question is, How far right will it swing?

An economists guess is about as good as anyone's. (Will Rogers)

I say partisan politics is for the intellectually lame. One should be able to argue either side if for nothing else for the sake of the arguement.

"Oh man!" (Bart Simpson)

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charlie Rangel, Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, New York Gov. David Paterson, MSNBC's Chris Matthews, and other leftists claim that racism is behind criticism of President Obama. (Walter Williams)

Americans should disavow and not fall prey to the racial rope-a-dope being played on us by the nation's race hustlers. (Walter Williams)

BigPrune 4 years, 5 months ago

Nearly half of US households pays Federal income taxes. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nearly-half-of-US-households-apf-1105567323.html?x=0&.v=1

The other half don't pay squat.